Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

#740

Ratings: 7,978 |  Reviews: 2,847

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

My all-time favorite. Glad I am getting around to reviewing this beer. Came as part of the gift pack which is great because it comes with its own glass.

A - Poured into my Duvel glass so there was 4 finger very white head. Body is golden wheat and hazy (or too many bubbles). Head sticks around for awhile and some solid lacing.

S - Crisp and fresh - a mix between green and red apples. Some cherries on the nose as well.

T - Just like the smell, so again green and red apples. The hops and malts are in perfect combination. Very light and wonderful. Light spices.

M - Very well balanced with super high carbonation but medium body which makes this crispy brew very drinkable.

O - Still on of my favorites but maybe not at the very top. My palate has grown but this beer is light and a go-to for me. Could drink it anytime and would love to share it with anyone. At $4 a bottle it is a deal as well.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 330ml into my Darkness snifter.

Holy shit that is a head. Towering, 4-finger head, from an "unhurried" pour. Moderate retention, but some of the most epic lacing I have ever seen. Poured a slightly cloudy straw yellow.

The nose is all belgian. Bright, floral, some banana, a little spicy and that classic yeast funk.

Clean and complex. A touch of citrus hops upfront. Kinda sweet kinda spicy middle. Banana bread? Grains and yeast in the finish. Very nice.

It's like drinking champagne. Super light and crisp with tons of tiny bubbles. Finishes so balanced and clean.

Overall I really like this. I've never actually had it before this tasting, but I know it's the gold standard for Belgian Strong Pales. Not cheap and I cant say I will be getting this regularly. I am intrigued to see what a year or two in the cellar would do for this brew. Recommended to any BA looking to dip their toes in the Belgian style of brewing. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

330mL poured into Duvel tulip

A- Crystal clear yellow with a monster three finger white head, a classy looker.
S- Slightly bitter, tons of pilsner tastes, a little sweet, almost as if theres honey in it. Slight hint of citrus
T- Citrus flavors up front, Followed by a slight bitterness and an alcohol aftertaste.
M- Lots of carbonation and a unique mouth feel. Somewhat easy to take down but leaves you with a lot of foam in your mouth.
O- I bought a few of these mainly because I wanted the glass that came with it and to cross Duvel off my list. Glad I tried it and its good under the right conditions but its just a try once beer for me.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%