Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Belgian Golden AleDuvel Belgian Golden Ale

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
duvel.be

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

A Duvel is still seen as the reference among strong golden ales. Its bouquet is lively and tickles the nose with an element of citrus which even tends towards grapefruit thanks to the use of only the highest-quality hop varieties. This is also reflected in the flavour, which is beautifully balanced with a hint of spiciness. Thanks to its high CO2 content, this beer has a wonderful roundness in the mouth. A Duvel is both the perfect thirst quencher and the ideal aperitif.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

#791

View: Beers
Ratings: 8,050 |  Reviews: 2,868

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: squat, very distinctive bottle.. Duvel sports a much lighter color than I thought it would. It's a pale, straw yellow that, dare I say it?, could be confused with an American adjunct lager to the non-discerning eye. The head gives it away though; it's white and fluffy, yet as durable as any.

Smell: light fruit skin, Belgian yeast.

Taste: slightly fruity, very mild bitterness, traces of alcohol, and that unmistakable bottle conditioned Belgian yeast flavor.

Mouthfeel: exceptionally crisp and refreshing; endlessly effervescent.

Overall: no doubt the benchmark Belgian strong pale ale.. this stuff is fantastic.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a bottle into a Duvel Tulip

A: Beautiful thick head, retrains for quite a while. A little hazy

S: Bouquet is great, lots of zest smell here

T: Sweet, a bit sour and hoppy flavor riding in the back. Alcohol is well hidden

M: Lots of carbonation, delish

O: overall a great beer, lots of things going on in this. My duvel tulip will have many more reunions with this beer

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

duvel bottle into a duvel tulip

A - straw yellow opaque body with carbonation visible. big foamy white head two to three fingers deep. good retention great lacing.

S - crackers, lemon zest, orange peel, bit of pepper and bread malts.

T - spicy yeast with bread crackers pepper lemon zest.

M - maybe too much carbonation but superb clean crisp feel to this. nicely boozy without being too much so.

O - a world class beer no doubt.

1.96/5  rDev -53.9%

11.26.2011 – Duvel Belgian Golden Ale. ABV: 8.5

Appearance: Bottle says to pour gently, so I started with a gentle pour. But I wasn’t getting any head, so I finish a little more aggressively. Still not much head. Nothing like the picture on the back of the bottle. About a half inch. Maybe the bottle was too cold right out of the fridge? Color is yellow-gold. A little cloudy. Grade: 3

Smell: Not great, a little stale. Reminds me a lot of a Miller High Life. Hoping that taste will not disappoint. I really want to like this beer given it’s “world class” status and all. Grade: 2

Taste: Champagne. Tasteless suds. Strange hoppiness, a little stale tasting. Lots of lemon. Some lilac, especially in the aftertaste. No malt. Grade: 2.5

Mouth: Bubbly as hell. Yes, hell-like is a good way to describe it. Perhaps this is where the “Duvel” name comes from. If I drink slowly, it fills my mouth with soapy suds. If I drink fast, it burns my throat and then fills my belly with soapy suds. (At this point I am wishing I was drinking a Miller High Life.) Grade: 1

Overall: Very disappointed. The smell is a turn off. The taste is a mix of weird and underwhelming. And the mouth is simply unbearable. In the name of non-abuse toward alcohol I will not dump it, but I may try to turn it into the bottom half of a black and tan in hopes of finding a redeeming use for this stuff. (That could be disaster, but it can’t be worse.) I have had Belgian whites and Belgian tripels before, and have liked both, but this particular beer is just not my style. It reminds me of everything I dislike about Pilsner Urquell multiplied by two. I have three more of these, so I may re-review when I am in a forgiving mood. Grade: 1

Served: 33cl Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. (Still love the glass.)

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

For as many times a I have this, that I never did a review. Straw yellow capped by a large foamy white head. Bubbling carbonation. Alcohol, cracker, light grass, an booze waft in the nose. Sweet bodied with crockery goodness. Alcohol says hello. Light bodied yum! Surprising is a good choice for gateway beers for the gmc crowd as my research has proven.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%