Duvel | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Reviews: 2,809 | Ratings: 7,842
4.28/5  rDev 0%

I poured this beer into an oversized Duvel tulip glass. That's 12 oz of beer into a 22 oz container and the snow white frothy head came right to the top. There’s a chaotic vortex of bubbles erupting from the bottom of my glass sustaining this mammoth head. As the head collapses, it leaves behind a meringue-like cratered head. Almost looks like some forgotten water-carved desert valley in AZ. As I drink this beer, the head collapses and leaves big awkward clumps of head hanging out on the surface. The color of the beer is soft honey. Truly one of the most visually entertaining beers I can ever imagine drinking. The smell consists of tangerines and plumbs, an enticing spicy yeast and what I can only describe as dark brown lake water. These smells are magnificently intertwined with each other that make this really unique. Tastes surprisingly bland compared to the smell, but far from bad. I’m getting some very dry grapefruit rind, black pepper and fruity orange jello with a medicinal, dry yeast finish. If I allow some air to stand trapped in my mouth, I pick up strawberries. I must add that this is the most prominent spicy yeast flavor I’ve had with out it being too dry. The mouth feel is medium bodied with a lot of unobtrusive carbonation that disappears when I swallow. This beer is surprisingly simple, but wonderfully put together and an absolute delight to watch.

4.09/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into a Pint Glass. I'll get a Duvel Glass soon.

Appearance:
Pouring this beer for the first time was amazing. The whole glass turned into a thick head. And I when say thick I mean like cool whip thick. It looked wonderful and gave me an immediate appetite. The head was long lasting, slow to fade, and laced the glass perfectly.
The lace was about 1/8" over the beer through out my entire sample. It did not fade, break up or go away. I covered my beer and the edges of the glass was something to admire.

The beer had a rich gold color with the color deepening as it neared the center. My notes say, "Translucent beauty."
A light carbonation bubbled through the entire beer and just made it look like what I imagine a beer is suppose to look like. For that reason I gave it a 5. Even in the wrong glass it was picture perfect.

Smell:
Fruity, maybe banana. My notes are sparse here. I have written, "Didn't smell bad, didn't smell great. Smell is subtle and light." I think that's why I have it a lower rating. I just couldn't smell much.

Taste:
Sharp! Bitter! Spicy! Yum! That's what I wrote and thats what I like. A crisp light burn follows from the carbonation which gives it a great aftertaste. I did not taste any sort of alchohol after taste. The flavors of this beer float in your mouth long after you drank it and it's a very pleasant feel in deed.

Mouthfeel:
I want to point out that this beer got better as I let it warm. That is, it started great and finished better. With that in mind, it was smooth through and through.

Drinkability:
I was going to give this a 4 for drinkiablity. It was a great beer that I could probably drink at anytime, but I didn't want to over rate. Then my girlfriend came along and she doesn't drink beer at all because it tastes "like beer". Maybe it was the note book, or maybe it was my crazed look, but she picked it up and said "Let me try a good beer." She tried it and said, "This is fantastic." This is the first beer my GF LIKES. That merits .5 doesn't it? So drinkability is a 4.5

Price: Reasonably priced the quality of beer. Buy yourself the four pack with the Duvel glass so you can drink this right. If you still not convinced accept the next one offered, you won't regret it.

3.68/5  rDev -14%

poured golden with a big soapy head. aroma yeast , citrus on the lemon side a hint of alcohol. flavor lemon, orange,light yeast and malts as it warmed got some sweetness.usually when the yeast and citrus are the 1st thing that hits my nose I get this feeling I am not going to like this beer but this one was good

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pale golden color with a montainous rocky head that actually grew as it sat for a few minutes, and hardly fades away. There's tons of lacing left behind on my glass.

Smell; at first I was a little dispointed in the smell, as it came of more tame than I was expecting. I let it sit for a few and came back and it really opened up. It has a really nice lemony citrus and a spicy pepper like smell, with yeast and hints of bread dough.

Taste; that spiciness really jumps out at me, followed by citrus and a nice malty bread dough, with a bit of a grassy quality thrown in. There's enough of a hops to add just a touch of bitterness in the finish. I thought the carbonation would have more of a bite, instead it's really smooth and creamy, and very refreshing.

I had this beer many years ago, and didn't care much for it at the time, but now I have to say that this is one hell of a beer. I'm glad I gave it another chance after nearly eight years.

4.28/5  rDev 0%

didn't pour into snifter as represented on the bottle. Used pint glass.
What a head! Thick, foamy, white and didn't go anywhere (but in my belly!)
Good golden, yellow, rich glow in the glass.
Smell was sweet, malt, orange, flower, hops.
Taste was rich, and richer as it warmed, with a bit of salt at first, them malt and sweetness. Hops were present middle to end. Aftertaste lingered just enough to want more.
Could drink a few more. the appearance was the best part of this beer although the other components were impressive.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

I tried this with great anticipation and expectation.
Pours beautifully golden slighly cloudy with a huge head into the Duvel chalice...really, really huge...fun to watch it slowly recede with nice lacing and little sinkholes throughout ( I'm sure there's a better beer geek term for that,sorry ).

Smells nice..malt, yeast , slight fruit.

Taste at first was a little disappointing...first few sips.."what's all the fuss about this stuff ?"...way too carbonated for me , interfering with the flavor. Anyway, that sure changed....once it de-gased a bit and warmed just a little, the complexity came out...there's so much going on on the palate...I kept looking at the simple gold color and wondered where all this was coming from. There's fruit, malt, sweet, hops, alcohol.. and more...all well balanced....every flavor I love in Belgian goldens was there in just the right amount.
3/4 the way through this glass I had decided that this is just a perfect beer and deserves all the praise it gets.

Drinkable....I would have a few. I'd love to make this one of those that's always in the fridge, but it's a little too pricy for that.

I told a few friends about this..and a few weeks later they said they had almost exactly the same experience...although you may resist initially ; the Duvel gets your soul in the end.

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours yellow with a thick, massive white head. Nose is light, fruity and airy with juicy pears and apples along with some slight alcohol pepper. Taste is fruity as well, juicy apple cider...yeasty banana and definitely some alcohol heat making it's way onto the palate for the finish. Mouthfeel is high on carbonation, a little too high for me. Overall this is certainly a tasty beer although for my tastes it desn't quite back up the hype.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

hazy golden with an inch of foamy white head. very nice lacing.

sweet, yeasty aromas. slight citrus scents, but not hops; more a sweet lemony aroma.

lots of carbonation, lots of tart belgian yeast. a touch of fruity, floral sweetness, but overall a dry feel.

definitely the standard to which other belgian pales should be judged. balanced taste, clean finish, very drinkable.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Clear yellow-golden color that reminds me of apple juice. Mammoth, white, bubbly head takes up about half the glass. The head looks glued to the sides the way it's lacing. Lots of fine, champagne-like carbonation bubbles rising very rapidly.

Scent is very fruity. Pear, apple, and banana in particular. There's a caramel scent too. Smells pretty good, but I was expecting a little more.

Taste is more complex than the scent. There's the fruit (particularly apple) and caramel, but there's a spicyness too. I'm getting a slightly tart flavor too. Some grain-like flavors. Quite tasty.

Smooth and mellow as advertised. Mostly sweet, but with a refreshingly bitter finish. Feels very clean on the tongue. Light to medium bodied. Fairly well-balanced too. Pretty unique and almost refreshing really.

This is tasty. I'll have another and recommend it to my friends. The flavor does come off just a little too tart to be a mainstay for me.

4.06/5  rDev -5.1%

pours wtih a billowy white head that is "get in the way" big. clear pale yellow appearance. leaves more lacing on the glass than there is on Shaquille Oneal's high top sneakers. aroma is grainy, alcohol, and apple sweet. taste is very sweet with a touch of bitter and a slight late bite in the back. mouthfeel is light and dry, amazingly so for such a strong brew.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2oz bottle

Pours a hazy golden straw with a MOUNTAIN of a white head. Thick lacing inside the glass.

Very crisp malty aroma with plenty of Belgian yeasty fruitiness woven in. Has a nice breadiness to it as well. The aroma of alcohol begins to show as it warms.

This is delicious. A nice crisp malt taste followed by a fantastic fruitiness. This leads into a nice bready flavor with some tasty noble hops and finishes quite dry.

Full body and plenty of carbonation.

Too drinkable for an 8.5 ABV. This is a fine beer.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - Clear golden color looks like a pilsner. Plenty of foam (in the same way that the ocean has plenty of water)

s - The unique smell is pleasant and addictive. I read a lot of reviews and found none that captured the aroma of this brew. Tht's no knock on anyone because I can't do it either. It smells like Duvel.

t - The first sip was nice but each sip cried for another. Yes, there was maltiness, alcohol and spicy sweetness. But it is so much more. I find the aroma and taste of this beer really hard to describe but I've been back to the beverage store several times just to get more of this one. It's unforgettable.

m - Loads of carbonation. Feels strong. Haven't tried it with any food yet, I like it too much by itself.

d - Could drink one after another.

4.14/5  rDev -3.3%

The beer poured a pale golden yellow with a huge white head that took quite a few minutes to settle.

The aroma was a wonderful bouquet of spicy Belgian yeast and fresh grainy malt.

The taste was warm and peppery with a smooth and moderate hop bitterness. The malt provided a creamy sweetness to balance out the spiciness and warmth from the high alcohol.

The mouthfeel was light considering the style and the carbonation was very high.

Many beers in this category have a tendency to be syrupy and cloyingly sweet. While Duvel is a "big beer" it manages to be complex and delicate at the same time. It is very drinkable and satisfyingly refreshing.

3.86/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So the first time I tried this I was a little disappointed. It didn't live up to the hype as I thought it would. But, it's been quite a while- so I'm giving it another shot. Here goes...

Pours a slightly hazy golden straw-like color with miles of white poofy head that leaves lovely lacing around the glass. The head won't stop! It grows and grows! Smell is malty and peppery- makes my nose twitch a little, actually. Lemon, lots of lemon. Spicy.

Taste is also lemony with a strong maltyness dominating. Some juicy fruityness and a hint of bitterness at the end. It's tasty, but... pale? I think is the right word. It just doesn't impress me like it should- the big WOW isn't there- it's just not flavorful enough.

Mouthfeel is lively and bubbley, smooth, a bit chewy, and crisp. Clean feeling. Overall a very drinkable brew- not overwhelming, and certainly easy to drink considering it's alcohol content. But it just doesn't do it for me like I'd like it to. I'd take La Fin or Delirium Tremens over this any day.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

I have been waiting forever to try this! I shall not let stellar reviews affect my opinion. Really cool 11.2 ounce stubby brown bottle. Fancy label, printed on good paper. hiyooo. This poured a gorgous pale gold color that kinda looks like a wheat beer, nice and hazy. Cool linear specific carbonation and some trippy yeast spots floating within(hey I tried to be careful!). The head is amazingly rocky and white. Very airy. I tasted the head and got stung by pepperiness! The smell is nice and spicy, citrus is there. Alcohol smell not kicking my ass though. And not in the taste either. The alcohol kinda there but not too intense. Some good hop bitterness here. The mouthfeel is sharp and stingy. This is clean and drinkable. Wish i had a bigger bottle than this stubby stubby.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750 mL bottle. Monster head. I don't mean to disrespect this great beer but, when I popped and poured, I was reminded of the old baking soda and vinegar days with a 2 liter plastic bottle . Just look at it the wrong way, and the head explodes. Goldenhoney colored, it hangs like gelatin in the glass when left to sit for a half hour; particles of carbonation or something else (yeast?) are suspended like grains of gold in amber.

Smells of alcohol, malt, yeast, apricots and spice. Tastes spicy and malty, like witbier, with apricot and a lingering mellow aftertaste of straw and apricots. Feels like a mimonsa in my mouth. Pleasantly viscous. I'll have another...for the rest of my life.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Got this one at BJ's brewhouse in Tucson. Served from the bottle in a tulip glass, this thing had massive carbonation and foam. The bubbles in this thing were huge. Very golden in color and very clear. Smell was lightly fruity and quite spicy. Flavors were not overpowering and it tasted somewhat fruity with hints of sour apple and citrus fruits, with a bit of the spiciness detected earlier in the aroma. There is a well rounded bitter finish to balance it out nicely. Mouthfeel is greatly carbonated, crisp, and not overly thin. The higher alcohol content is artfully masked. A very refreshing beer, with a good kick to it and nice balanced flavors...

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

My experience with this beer was auspicious from the beginning. I had to use a pair of vice-grips to get the cork out. Once out, the beer gave off tremendous fruity esters musty carbonation. Now I am not entirely sure how Belgian Strong Pale Ales are supposed to taste (well, yes I do) and this is highly disappointing. At first there is a wonderful tickle as it enters, then sour, plain sourness, almost like the beer was stale. I wanted to shake up the sediment to get a different taste.

One area I highly commend this beer in is it head. Meringue like from the beginning to the end. I will not be “re-visiting” this one.

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%

Clear gold with a big chunky head with staying power and lots of lace. Floral smells with apples and band-aids. A bit of a yeasty taste, hops are in the background, but don't really appear till the very end. Feels sharp in the mouth, and dry later on. Feels very light. Hop bitterness is more pronounced in the aftertaste rather than the actual drink.

As it warms, some tart/sour notes appear in the early part of a sip. Alcohol aromas are more pronounced, but the nose is still very floral. More complexities in the taste now as well. Sour bananas, bitter hops, a bit of spiciness as well.

This stuff is really good. :P I don't know that I can have a lot of these at once, but it's damned tasty.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Picked up a four pack that included a kick ass, monster sized Duvel tulip glass!!! Awesome!!!!
Bottle states "Pour Unhurriedly" and has pouring directions on back label. Also best before 06 2008

Appearance: After following pouring directions on label, I'm staring at two and a half inches of a big, white, fluffy head. The head dissapates slowly into a clumpy, clingy lacing. Pale yellow in color, reminds me of an pilsner. Lots of carbonation! Looks like the picture on BA.

Smell: The smell reminds me of Bell's Winter White Ale, lots of yeast and bread aromas, maybe some light fruits, like a hint of banana.

Taste: Lots of yeast and bread flavors. Nice combo of both malts and hops. Very tasty!

Mouthfeel: Smooth and clean, finishes dry, kinda like champagne. Alcohol is hidden well!

Drinkability: Good drinkability, not a heavy ale. Very refreshing. I could possibly drink a few of these in one evening, depending on how the alcohol kicks in.

4.06/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

I don't think I've ever seen such an incredible head on a beer! It looked like merengue, and lasted to the bottom of the glass, still thick and creamy.

Very flowery, yeasty smell.

Taste was good. Kind of sweet but not a malty sweet. Reminded me of bread. The high alcohol was not apparent.

Nice crisp, clean finish.

Overall, a very good beer. Be careful to pour it slowly, or else you will foam over the glass!

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

I tried this beer for the first time on New Year's eve. Bought it in the 1 pint 9.4 fl oz conditioned bottle. The cork popped off the bottle, just like champaign. I don't own any tulip glasses (they are on my shopping list) so I poured it into a pint glass

A--Bright, golden yellow, cloudy. very thick foamy head with excellent lacing on the glass. Retained its head very well throughout the life of the beer. Extreme carbonation...similar to champaign

S--strong malt and hop smell...also smelled a little lemony

T--very light and pleasent, nice malt and hop combo, tastes similar to a Hefe

M--lots of carbonation, but settled down nicely as I worked through the bottle. great feel, very smooth

D--Becuase of the characteristics and presentation, I view this as a "celebration" ale. It is very light and refreshing, but I found myself getting full towards the end of the beer...perhaps due to the carbonation.

Overall, an excellent beer and well worth the try.

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%

My wife noticed that this beer smells like flowers. I think it tastes like champagne. It's quite simply one of the best beers I can think of. Much better chilled. There are better looking beers and some have more complex, dense flavors and aromas, but this one goes down and drinks soo nicely. For an 8.5% brew to be so seductive, this is an amazing beer.

Inceidently, I think it's better from the small bottles, if you can get them. The larger corked bottles don't do anything for me, except that some of the carbonation and hence "mouthfeel" is lost.

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%

Spectacular appearance: light hazy golden color, plenty of streaming bubbles. Tall, lasting head like a pillow or a cloud, very sticky and uneven on top, which I think is neat.

Fresh, crisp aroma, with sulphurous notes that remind me of a pilsner.

Strong carbonation all the way through. Tart, fruity hop flavor that's very dry.This is complemented well by dryness from the yeast, which adds a sort of woody twang.

This is a great beer, and fit well for a new year's celebration. Very drinkable -- the 750 went down without trouble, and it was a delight to keep tasting as the bottle warmed up.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 33 cl bottle.

Apperance: Deep yellow, thick looking brew.
Smell: Rich straw smell, with some fruitiness. Can smell the alcohol.
Taste: Apple front with heavy bitterness in the middle and end. Again the alcohol comes through towards the end.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth yet heavy, crisp.

Overall: A very good beer, which could use some time to mellow.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV