Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

duvel.be

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Ratings: 7,946 |  Reviews: 2,841

bullshit. This is not very good.

2.06/5  rDev -51.9%

Puchased a 1 pint 9.4oz bottle from Costco.

Golden pale color, white head that reamains throught the pour and while drinking. Smell seems off.

Dont understand the bid deal, skunky like most European beers...nothing special.

Good news....gave me a nice buzz.

SmokeyP

2.08/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Great taste, but not the best. Great if there is no other option.

2.1/5  rDev -50.9%

Bottle must have been shaken from the car ride home. Foam everywhere and huge pieces of yeast were in the head. I will be revisiting this one eventually.

2.19/5  rDev -48.8%

Assuming I didn't get a bad batch or a bottle from a case left outside for a week in summer, I expected more. To the nose and tongue this beer lacked the Belgian flavors of other golden ales and tasted very much like a high gravity, slightly more flavorful corona. I seriously considered finding a lime. I might try again in the future, but for now I can't say I like it at all.

2.2/5  rDev -48.6%

2.24/5  rDev -47.7%

Well I was really looking forward to trying this beer after all the great reviews....I can say my taste is for sure different that a lot of folks on this site.

First appearance is pretty good with that awesome head that just keeps coming, but the color just seems to be too light and clear, something else is going on here.

Smell, is this an old adjunct of some kind or what?

Taste, is thin, but seems to hide the high abv very well, but again it tastes like an American adjunct to me.

Drink, one is enough, I have 3 more to go and I will finish them somehow, maybe I will become enlightened as to why this beer is supposed to be so great...

2.32/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clearish straw yelow with the trademark Duvel head. The foam lasts quite a while and leaves copious lacing. Smells of citrus and pear, with a bit of hop character and slight alcohol. Heavily (too) sweet. Citrus and other light fruits are again present in the taste, but the hops come forward to add some bitterness. The sweetness is still rather overstated. Some spice, and big alcohol. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky. Not really a fan of this one at all; the ever-present sweet pear taste combined with the alcohol just aren't appealing. I've had this many, many times; it was a cheap nachtwinkel beer in BE that did the job. As a proper beer though, it's bad enough that I sometimes seriously consider pouring it.

2.32/5  rDev -45.8%

I first want to say...Sorry Keith...I tried to like this beer, I really did. I know it is one of your favorites. Anyway, here is my review.

Purchased last night because my buddy KeefD swears by the Belgian beers. I realize that he loves this style. However, I just can't get around the funk taste of them. Don't get me wrong, wonderful look and great mouthfeel but for a Russian Imperial Stout lover, just can't get past the "feels like I am sucking on a field of really weird wildflowers" taste. I realize that Belgium beers use different yeasts than American beers which is all good but just not for me. Great head and lacing.

As far as for saying this is one of the "god of beers"....yeah, I don't think so. As far as for being a "god of cute little wildflowers that tickle your nose beers"...this is more like it. Just my 2.7 cents worth. Take it or leave it...your choice.

As for future Belgium beers, will I be trying them....of course I will. It is all part of the BA adventure. Someday, it is my hope that I will find a "famous" Belgium beer that I do like. In the mean time, I will continue to love my Stouts, Porters, and IPAs.

The next adventure awaits...later.

Duvel Belgian Golden Ale from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV