Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Ratings: 7,904 |  Reviews: 2,820
2.32/5  rDev -45.8%

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that this is the most overrated beer on beeradvocate.com. I’d never had Duvel before–I didn’t realize it was a Belgian. It has to be one of the worst Belgians I’ve ever tasted. It struck me immediately as skunkorama–a la Beck’s.

It did taste quite a bit better when drunk later while eating--with some spicy shrimp and grits. They tended to mask the skunk. Generally, I'd rather not have to worry about masking unpleasant flavors in my beer.

Generally I’m pretty much in agreement with beeradvocate.

2.36/5  rDev -44.9%

I really feel bad saying this, but this beer kinda sucked. The flavor of it was pretty disgusting... tasted almost like a bad witbier. Something about this just turned me off completely. I'm highly dissapointed, given that this is such a "classic" beer. Well... cheers, anways.

2.47/5  rDev -42.3%

Phoosh, off goes the cap with a blast. Pouring it slowly was not enough to tame this wild head. The head literally GROWS before your eyes, forming a peak of meringue so thick, you can float a half dollar on it. The beer itself is highly carbonated. It actually formed whirlpools of spiral bubbles in my glass. The color is crystal clear straw golden. Aroma is typical Weihenstephan Weizen yeast, with that banana/clove tang. Pretty typical in the aroma department. The taste is also pretty typical bavarian wheat, but with a warming punch of alcohol. No lambic aroma or taste. Has a sweetness in the back of the throat for the finish, and not much for hop flavor. Fumes of alcohol warm the nostrils after a hearty gulp. Aside from the wonderful head, I don't know why this beer earns such stellar reviews. It may be a Belgian-style strong pale ale, but it tastes like a typical bavarian wheat, and not even a good one at that. In my opinion, it tastes like a "DoppleWeizen". I had a hard time finishing just one bottle, and would not buy another in the future.

Photo of
2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.54/5  rDev -40.7%

2.58/5  rDev -39.7%

2.6/5  rDev -39.3%

Maybe I have too many good local microbreweries with plenty of Belgians to choose from but I was utterly disappointed with this beer. I prefer a sweet Beligian, so maybe if you enjoy a tasteless, flavorless, non-descript Belgian ale, then this is definitely the beer for you. If you don't have local Belgians try Urthel before you try this. This beer is really WAY overrated on this website.

2.65/5  rDev -38.1%

Pours foam like a Hefe. The Head sticks around for a while.
The first sip was fruity, Lots of CO2. In the next sip I only tasted the sweetness of the 8.5%.
Not really a beer. Too much alcohol. Very hard to drink. Makes you sleepy due to the high ABV.
Overrated and overpriced.
I rather drink a Spaten Optimator if I want a bock beer.

2.68/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

The second time was not impressed with taste. I like a fresh taste at end of the beer.

appearance: foamy head, pale straw, golden shine with chunky lacing

smell: sour

taste: a bit metallic , the after taste is like draining cleaner

mouthfeel: s a bit sharp, an alcohol burn lasting 5 seconds.

overall: The first time I tried I like the taste better. The second time was not impressed. It is probably not my style of beer. I like the lage or wheat beers better then this one. It save me money too!

2.68/5  rDev -37.4%

appearance: super foamy head, pale straw, golden shine in light, slight haze, chunky lacing

smell: very clean, almost metallic, faint aroma of hot dogs, slight sour

taste: a bit metallic, im still getting a little bit of hot dog/bologna from somewhere, leaves an alcoholic linger, sweet that turns sour quick

mouthfeel: turns creamy, finish is a bit sharp, slight alcohol burn, highly carbed belgian

overall: not super impressed, usually a fan of belgians, this is a bit less complex than i wanted, strong alcohol/metal taste without much hop or malt character

Duvel Belgian Golden Ale from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV