Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Belgian Golden AleDuvel Belgian Golden Ale

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
duvel.be

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

A Duvel is still seen as the reference among strong golden ales. Its bouquet is lively and tickles the nose with an element of citrus which even tends towards grapefruit thanks to the use of only the highest-quality hop varieties. This is also reflected in the flavour, which is beautifully balanced with a hint of spiciness. Thanks to its high CO2 content, this beer has a wonderful roundness in the mouth. A Duvel is both the perfect thirst quencher and the ideal aperitif.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

#761

Ratings: 8,007 |  Reviews: 2,857

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%

25.4oz bottle, Duvel tulip, best before 11/27/13.

Sunshine pilsener yellow is the color of this vaunted tipple. The head is pure and white as wind driven snow and certainly rivals the best I've ever seen for longevity and pure volume clinging to the glass.

Gentle grainy pale malt, alcohol perfume, slightly funky and minty yeast, and faint herbal hop.

Yeast and herbal hop pick up, I find things rather minty and sweeter than the nose betrayed, honeyed pale malt. A bitterness struggles to be crisp, but it's too sweet in my opinion. I even taste a bit of skunk, but I don't see how this could be light struck; put it down to my taste buds interpretation of the yeast and hops. Wait, band-aid?

At first it was refreshing, but the body feels increasingly heavy as the carbonation fades too quickly.

This falls short for me. BSPA is a style I've been liking more and more lately, but this gold standard falls short for me. It looks amazing though.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Very pale, yellow, big head

Aroma: Hops and pears

Taste: Malty, a little bitter

Remarks: This was one of my earlier reviews, so the info isn't as complete.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; so please disregard those scores as listed and just go by the overall total.

3.59/5  rDev -15.5%

Hazy light golden color, almost yellow. Exceptional frothy white head, nice rings of lace. Aroma seems similar to almost every other Belgian or Belgian style I've tried. Ditto on the taste, I can't identify it but it's a spicy hoppiness. I know it's also the yeast, espescially with Duvel as I have heard they don't use spices. Spritzy mouthfeel, almost champagne like ( a drink I don't care for) 8% on or abouts but pretty drinkable for such strength. I've tried to get in to the genre but it's not easy for me. My apologies to lovers of Belgian ale's but I can take or leave them.

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours out a nice light clear golden with a nice foamy white head that rests on top.

Smell. Nice light spices, fruitier than i remember, some bananas, apples and fresh peahes. sweet and nice.

Taste. Dry and peppery. Light fruit flavors- some apple and spices- just a touch of clove. High carbonation and high alcohol gives it a nice bite on my tongue. Good yeast character. Aftertaste is just slightly tart, and has more pepper characteristics.

Mouthfeel. Tons of carbonation, just the slightest sip will fill my mouth from that carbonation. Body is about medium and behind the carbonation it seems a little slick.

Overall, just an excellent beer. Honestly i'm not into it being so dry, but it is still great. I have mentioned the alcohol in some places, but i do think it does cover the alc content quite nicely. I would love to have this again and again, but personally i'm a la fin du monde fan (sweeter).

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into goblet

A: Poured a little cloudy and kind of a light orange color. Wonderful fingers worth of head that settles to a good layer of head with wonderful lacing front start to finish. Just a fantastic looking beer.

S: Smell is very sour with a mix of yeast, malt and a little tart fruit.

T: A wild mix of flavors here....There is a lot of tangy flavors here, mix of various citrus mixed with little sweet malt, a lot of yeast and a nice touch of hoppy bitterness. Good balance of flavors, sweet, bitter and tart.

M: Pretty lively carbonation that makes it crisp yet the ABV smooths everything out. Finish is on the dry side.

O: This is a fantastic beer worthy of a try... Fantasic mix over everything you would ever want in a beer... A must try.

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

One of my all time favorites, I just realized that I had never reviewed it.
I have never seen a beer produce or hold a head like Duvel. Poured into it's proper chalice, the Duvel is unleashed. Pure golden yellow carbonated effervescence is how I can describe this stunning beer.
Nose is very fuity, green apples,apricots, passionfuits, oranges, yeasts, straw. peppers, Alcohol is apparent, but well masked
Flavors are so light, so crisp,tart. Nice apple fruitiness, light yeasty- oranges, warming in throat, cloves, light peppercorns. This beer requires high levels of self control not to take the bottle and chug it like water.MOuthfeel is clean, crisp, immensley flavorful, long finishing but always leaves on anxious for the next sip. This beer is so drinkable it's amazing!. Its one of those how-do-they-do-thats?
A standard setting BSPA.

4.46/5  rDev +4.9%

I poured an 11.2 oz bottle into my tulip glass...

The beer pours a pale, golden, yellow colot with an extremely lofty, bubbly, white head. It smells of apple and apricot with a hint of spice in it. The taste is a bit tart with hints of green apple, some banana and a leafy, bitter aftertaste. The beer is light but full bodied with lots of sharp carbonation. It's warming and has a dry finish. I thought the Duvel was great, I'd drink it any day, it's refreshing and light enough for warm weather, and it's nice and warming if it's cool outside.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a slightly hazy golden-yellow color with a two inch white head that is well retained and leaves excellent lacing. Smells of citrus,mostly lemon, spices and yeast. Taste is classic Belgian Ale-yeasty, citrusy (lemon), spicy (pepper) and a nice hop presence. Finishes slightly bitter and dry. Very smooth with moderate carbonation. Excellent, a classic.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

330ml bottle 8.5% abv poured into a sniffer.

(Note that this bottle has been aged for about 3.5 years)

Appearance: Perfect... Effervescent, beautifully golden beer (clear if yeast is not poured, otherwise slightly cloudy), with typically huge, white head rising out of the glass. Sublime lace work left on the glass.

Smell: Wonderful, complex aroma. Granny smith apples, lemon zest, pears, yeast, malt, spicy hops and a wonderful whiff of alcohol to finish it off.

Taste: This is a big beer with a strong flavour. The beer starts of with a malty sweetness, yeasty in the middle (slightly spiced pears) , rounded off with peppery and spicy hops. Alcohol is present in this beer, but unlike other beers I've had it works really well with the other flavours and is integral to the beer.

Un-aged beer has a much bigger hop bite and an incredibly dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light, crisp, aggressive carbonation (I do generally prefer understated carbonation though).

Drinkability: I find I can't drink more than 2 Duvels. Though that being said, both go down very very well.

Duvel Belgian Golden Ale from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV