Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Belgian Golden AleDuvel Belgian Golden Ale

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
duvel.be

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

A Duvel is still seen as the reference among strong golden ales. Its bouquet is lively and tickles the nose with an element of citrus which even tends towards grapefruit thanks to the use of only the highest-quality hop varieties. This is also reflected in the flavour, which is beautifully balanced with a hint of spiciness. Thanks to its high CO2 content, this beer has a wonderful roundness in the mouth. A Duvel is both the perfect thirst quencher and the ideal aperitif.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

View: Beers
Ratings: 8,093 |  Reviews: 2,873

4.02/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is the 4 pack that opened my eyes. Big foamy head and delicious taste.

This is my favorite beer hands down. My wife loves it too!

2.36/5  rDev -44.5%

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent beer, tasty in every way, it's sneaky with the high 8.5 abv and is incredibly drinkable. Great head retention, lacing, hoppy with sweet and golden tones. Great body!

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

750ml bottle, uncorked properly, poured slowly, with intense concentration.

Duvel is a pretty beer; the head is thick: it will stubbornly occupy your glass and produce a creamy, immovable topography of its own design. The color is alchemic, with a cascading effervescence not dissimilar to fizzy French wines but with duplicitous aspects that, for this price, cannot be found in real Champagne or elsewhere.

The aroma is complex, overwhelming. Spice, fruit, oppressive maltiness. The taste then expands; intense fruit esters. Banana, pear, citric sourness;— ruthlessly, at first, a rude, invading stampede, but then following with a finish that lingers long as it dissolves into exotic, florid memories. The dénouement is sophisticated, an ethereal stretch; it is the proper occasion for a taste of cheese, a nut, or a bit of fruity juxtaposition. It is also the time for intense thoughts, and for deep, rustling feelings.

Hay not a bad beer, the yeast might turn some people off. Duvel has a some-what cloudy amber color, a thick head that lasts forever, the taste is a real mouthfull, malty,fruity,spicy,dry,and smooth. The AVB of 8.5% could make it a bit much for consumption of mass quantities.

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%

I had a glorious 750mL bottle all to myself several nights ago, and I now have a new favorite. One thing that struck me most about this beer was the perfect level of carbonation-- I can't really explain it, but I want--nay, need!-- to feel it again. The main taste to me was of fruit, specifically apples. Maybe that's just me though...

I was raving to my girlfriend about the beer, and told her i could think of nothing i wanted to do more than sit in a dark, silent room while drinking a bottle of Duvel. she suggested something she could do to me in that room that would improve the experience-- yep, it's still my wildest *beer* fantasy. time to make the 45 minute trip it takes to buy more!

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

This beer is my all time favorite. It pours frothy. Has a wonderful aroma and taste. It is a heavy beer, so I wouldn't recommend it with a big meal. The ABV of 8.5% seems low - this beer has quite a kick to it, so be sure to have something light to eat with it.

Enjoy

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance - Welcoming warm golden, very white headed, full of gas. Looks most appealing in its wide mouthed tulip glass (which also helps pouring) Slow pour means dead slow. If anything is off balance in this beer it is that it's on the over gassed side.

Smell - Sweet and yeasty, the thing I like least about this beer.

Taste - The gas hides the strength to a degree, it does not take much in the mouth to get good flavour. The beer is sweet but not fruity, slightly but not excessively yeasty, the aftertaste lingers beautifully, a wee bottle can be made to go a long way.

Mouthfeel - The beer bubbles in the mouth, once you get used to its high fizz its so easy to get comfortable with.

Drinkability - One to be slow sipped any other drink that night would taste inferior! The 8.5% alcohol tastes good, too often strong beers taste too strong.

I like it served a lot colder than is recommended, the cold takes a shade of the gas out. The small 11.2oz bottles are more fizzy than the large. The gas balance is better at 34F in the small bottles than the larger ones.

Duvel is the Belgian beer to start with. The smell, the appearance, the taste, the mouthfeel and drinkability are out of this world. Whether one tastes Duvel out from a bottle or from the tap, the beer is simply exquisite.

The latter is often considered as the definitive version of the Belgian Strong Golden Ale style...

''Definate'', maybe not, (some microbrewery beers outclass commercial ones) but one would agree that drinking Duvel is an experience and an unforgettable one too.

Rating : A

3.76/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass ( should probably get a tulip shaped glass to truly appreciate the complexity's of this beer ).

This is my first Duvel and have never had a beer quite like it.

Even though I gently poured it into my tilted glass the foam head quickly filled my pilsner glass 2/3 full of effervescent fluffy white foam, which was very slow to dissipate.

Duvel is medium to light golden color with lots of tiny bubbles that don't quit.

Smell is of hay,yeast, and fruit.

Taste is of hay, yeast, slight fruitiness, pepper and malt with a touch of bitter. I can taste the alcohol ( not to mention feel it ) but not so much that it is unpleasant.

Duvel kind of reminds me of drinking champagne with all the bubbles and the higher alcohol content but is most definitely beer with a unique taste that is hard to pin down. I think I will have to keep sampling these from time to time to get a better feel for them.

I bought a 4 pack of these at Corral liquor in Granite City IL for 7.99

This is my first post on a beer forum, and I'm not hip to all the Lingo, but I do enjoy Beer and trying new things and have been using this site to pick new beers to try, so hopefully I will eventually get better at my evaluations. Cheers Bigdaddy

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

33cL bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Translucent gold with a huge frothy white head. Just looking at it whets your palate.

Clean, malty, spicy aromas, with a hint of yeast. Each sniff brings a new scent with it.

From the first sip the taste coats your mouth. This is a very well balanced beer. The yeast offsets the bitterness. The spicy notes compliment the malty flavour. The mouthfeel is constantly smooth.

By the time the narrow portion of the glass is gone, there is a thick sudsy lace. The decrease in head size expands the fullness of the taste; all the flavours intertwine.

Finally, the potency of the brew becomes fully apparent, and the drinking experience encompasses your temples as well. Your whole face is seduced by this stuff. Devil's brew, indeed.

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

This is my first beer review since becoming interested in beer outside the American macro scene. A tough beer to pour, it says "pour unhurriedly" right on the bottle and they mean it! You have to lay your glass nearly sideways and pour very slowly when starting to pour to avoid a huge head build up. Taste is good, and clean, with a little bite at the finish. Tastes fairly simliar to a pinsler except with loads and loads of flavor. A hint of fruit, and maybe a breath of peach are present too. I would like to try again!

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into my Duvel Tulip glass.

Appearance is light golden in color with approx. 3 inch pure white head. Very nice. Lacing appeared down the glass until the very last sip. Thick foam in the center of the lacing.

Smell is apple, like a tart granny smith.

Taste is pure goodness. Orange, corriander and biscuits. Amazing.

Mouthfeel was good. Seemed very carbonated to me but went down very, very smoothly.

This is my favorite Belgian beer. One for me is just fine.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

I have enjoyed this beer for a couple of years. It was one of the first Belgium beers I ever tasted. I think the best way to enjoy this beer is with a number of friends when you have the time to sit back talk and enjoy each others company. It should always be presented in the proper glass and poured properly to fully enjoy this beer master.

This is the best beer I've ever tried in my entire life.
I first tried it about 9 years ago on an Irish Pub in Buenos Aires. I instantly fell in love. I friend of mine told me, one of his friends was always reluctant to try this beer, every time his uncle was offering him one. He uncle always said to him "You have to try a Duvel, you have to try a Duvel", and this guys was always negative about giving Duvel a try. So finally at a wedding, his uncle brought one for him to his table and he said "Here you go, now try it". And this guys said to my friend, that that was a magical moment in his life. The moment he tried it, everything around him changed to a better color almost with a background magical music like the ones you see on fantasy movies. That was life changing for him, and since that day; Duvel became his favorite beer.

When my friend told me that story, I remember that that was pretty much how I felt about 9 years ago at that Irish pub in Buenos Aires.

Since then, Duvel became 'my beer' and I wasn't able to find another beer that taste as good as Duvel. I tried many beers, including Trappist Westvleteren 12, which is ranked #1 here in BA.
I like many other ones, and even though I can say La Fin Du Monde is my #2 favorite beer on earth, no other beer came even close to my mouth's soul as Duvel.

The only not positive think I can say about the bottle of Duvel (1 Pint 9.4 fl. oz. / 750 ml) is: it has too much foam when you first open it and you first serve it. You have to wait to your second glass until the foam 'calmed'.

A total pleasure to me is a cold Duvel with salty peanuts. Highly recommended.

Appearance: handsome label
Smell: like an expensive perfume without being perfume
Taste: like Duvel. No other way to describe it. It's unique.
Drinkability: Drink with a lot of respect.

This is a great beer. A truely great Belgium because it is not overly sweet like a lot of Belgiums are. It's balanced with nice grassy hops which produced a creamy mouthful and a dry finish. People who love the hoppy American ales but are turned off by the spicy, sugery Belgium ales will most likely find this truely enjoyable.

* Note if this beer is properly prepared, its color is very clear and not murky. You should have no problem seeing through your glass. So, let it sit for at least 3 days before drinking, and don't pour the yeast into your glass unless you know you like it. It makes a big difference on taste--much drier and smoother, and with a much more pronounced hop flavor without the yeasts floating around. I always let mine sit for a week so the yeasts are settled.

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

On the pour, it foamed up with a great white head, that left lacing on the glass as it dissipated. The very nice soft golden color reminded me of ripened wheat fields, and the bubbles that continued to fizz after the pour made it a great drink to look at, let alone drink. The aroma ascending from the delightful little bubbles was very nice, a bright floral zesty scent.

I expected to have my mouth knocked around a bit with the alcohol content of 8.5, but it was exceedingly drinkable! I was surprised! The flavor is sunny, with a zest that holds some citrus notes (to my palate anyway) and leaves a mild and rather lingering (though not unpleasant aftertaste).

This beer was recommended to by by a little shop owner who thought it was great fun to tease me about American macros! He was great though, and this is the first of a long line of recommendations the nice gentleman gave me. Expect more!

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

This beer is the reason I'm here on beer advocate. It showed me there were incredible beers out there that I needed to find. I drank guinness like a fish before trying this beer, happy and content in my ignorant bliss. Now I rarely will go to the neighborhood bar, and my fridge looks like a liquor store of fine beers.

First as you pour this beer you must be careful not to have the head explode all over place. It rises like an atomic mushroom cloud, a yeast explosion that ends up like meringue filling the top third of your glass.

The smell to me is apples, green sour apples. Lemons come up a little but it smells alive and fresh.

The first sip is like super carbonated and dry but still has alot of body. It fills your mouth with the carbonation but after you swallow it's that famous AHHHH from every Coke commercial. It's not heavy, little or no alcohol bite, but it can sneak up on you. It starts to warm you up and you sense that you better slow down a bit and sip.

You can drink this very easily if you don't believe me google the "Duvel challenge". It's light and fresh but it will kick your ass if you over-endulge.

I think Duvel gets a slightly bad rap because it is becoming more available. Just because my local grocery store carries it doesn't mean it's suddenly bad. I'm sure Point Beer is rare in Belgium. Maybe they'll make a trade...

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

This is my first review on BA.

Presentation: Big 750 ml bottle with cork.

Appearance: Very light yellow.

Aroma: Lemon and herbal aroma.

Taste: Spicy and sweet. Perfectly balanced, a bit dry. reminds me of champagne.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and with heavy foam.

Drinkability: This beer is the most drinkable beer I have tasted.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

In my opinion this beer is phenomenal!

[A]: A hazy pour that is bright golden-yellow with a tall white head. The bottle reads, "Pour unhurriedly" with a purpose! This beer is very carbonated... if you pour just a tad too fast I can only imagine the mess on your hands... not to mention the loss of tasty beer.

[S]: The smell was great- although I don't remember much of it because the taste blew my mind, which brings me to:

[T, M, D]: As said earlier, this beer is very carbonated, as well as dry and tasty. Definately a beer worth the $7. It is now a member of my beer hall of fame.

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

Holy crap this beer is delicious.

When poured into the trademark tulip glass that came with the package deal, I'll have to admit that I don't particularly care for the 50/50 mix. Aside from that, this beer is delicious.

I was talking to my girlfried at the time I took my first sip, and I just paused in mid-sentence to admire the delicious-ness of Duvel. Naturally, I got yelled at for ignoring her for beer.. But it was worth it.

Appearance: 4
Smell: 4.5
Taste: 5