Duvel Belgian Golden Ale | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Belgian Golden AleDuvel Belgian Golden Ale

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV
duvel.be

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

A Duvel is still seen as the reference among strong golden ales. Its bouquet is lively and tickles the nose with an element of citrus which even tends towards grapefruit thanks to the use of only the highest-quality hop varieties. This is also reflected in the flavour, which is beautifully balanced with a hint of spiciness. Thanks to its high CO2 content, this beer has a wonderful roundness in the mouth. A Duvel is both the perfect thirst quencher and the ideal aperitif.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

#803

View: Beers
Ratings: 8,066 |  Reviews: 2,870
4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

First and foremost I have to thank you all that are part of the Beeradvocate community. I have followed your advice since I turn 21,three years ago, and today I decided to make an account. For that I thank You

Last week a super liquor store open in my hometown in Texas with full fresh cut deli section, restaurant,and tasting area ( at grand opening, they were selling any type of 6-pack for 99 cent- I had class so I could not go ; I hope that does not take the business of Mr.Jones, one of our local stores guys- but anyway I digress) and today I decided to pop in. I felt like having an ale. I looked around and this white little glass bottle caught my attention by the name of Duvel Belgium Ale.

Appearance: Blonde and a thick head c.3 inches

Smell: Citrus smell

Taste: Honey like citrus taste

Mouthfell- Great Ciitrus taste with a honey after taste

Drinability: The after taste for sure makes you have another and not filling at all.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pulled the cork on a 750ml bottle of Duvel and poured it into a tulip. The bottle was dated Feb 2013. Poured a clear amber/orange with a 2 finger light foamy head which quickly dissipated but left a nice lacing.
Very sweet and fruity nose, didn't notice a strong hop scent. First sip you notice the fruit flavors up front, pear maybe a bit of apricot. Mouth feel can only be described as effervesent. Nice dry finish with no bitterness or aftertaste. This is the most balanced beer i've tasted. Dangerously drinkable. After the 750ml I was feeling good and looking for more.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

I love this beer. It goes down smooth . It does have a fruity taste to it snd it somewhat dry. Always pours with a 2-3 finger head.Also is a cloudy amber color which I love.It is a great beer to come home to at the end of a hard day. It is a costly one but if it is in your budget, definetly worth buying.

"All '5's' should be rare." It is my opinion that this beer deserves all 5's. Taste is ABSOLUTELY subjective. Mine tells me that this one is 5's all the way around. I buy one for people who haven't had tried it any chance that I get. I love it to no end; haven't had one in months, yet think about it almost every day. I am glad to have been introduced to this beer. I drink a lot of alcohol. But this is magic in a bottle.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.59/5  rDev +8%

I just had a Duvel last night for the second time while at Euclid Hall, an atypical bar & kitchen in Denver. It is the best tasting beer that I've ever had, light, with tons of flavor. I like my beer high in alcohol, not to dark in color, not to bitter in taste, and not to heavy (as far as filling you up goes). This beer hit the mark for me on every level, with a super powerful intricate taste and sweet notes from beginning to end, absolutely amazing. Being a 'non-beer drinker for a while', mainly because I hate the taste of 'schwag' (bud light, pbr, coors light, etc..) beer so much, and that's all that my friends ever offer me. You can call me a beer drinker now, after having a good beer for the first time in a long time. Anyways, I decided to go online and see where I can buy this brand and I came across this website. I enjoyed this Duvel so much that I decided to join the website and write a review before going out to buy the beer. I guarantee that if you don't like bud light types of beer, you will LOVE this beer.

Thanks,
Ben Berman

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Very good belgian ale i typically do not enjoy styles such as this one but this was very refreashing and enjoyable nice head body slight hop character

enjoyed this beer at a beer tasting feathuring many other beers by ommgang and duvel and enjoyed almost all of them

Some of the darker belgians were a little less my style but still enjoyable

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

it poured a beautiful gold color the aromas are incredible the taste is even better even though they recommend the duvel glass i've found that a chalice works better at least for me the taste of the beer matches the aroma very hoppy and a big spicy yeast flavor a very well balanced beer it's worth the hype

4.02/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - The pour is a hazy medium yellow, big head, small lacing
S - Strong yeast with sweet overtones
T - First taste is incredibly full and sweet, reminiscent of bananas. Herbs include mostly clove with a bit of nutmeg and vanilla
M - medium-light, a bit creamy towards the end, lots of lively carbonation
O - On tap, the beer lives up to the hype. I find that in the bottle, the first impact is a bit too heavy; give the beer a bit of time to breathe before partaking. When possible, find on tap, the effect is much better. By far one of my top choices among the Belgian beers. I prefer on tap a bit on the chilled side. Once warmed, the sweet flavored really stand out to the point where it's almost overpowering - a bit strong for my taste.

4.08/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Beautiful golden color, slightly transparent. Foam not too thick, lacey-like. Small amount of bubbles

Smell is sweet, fruity, almost bubblegum-like. Smell of hop present.

Taste is smooth with a hint of citrus, goes down easily. Surprisingly easy to drink despite the high ABV. Light, refreshing taste. Slightly bitter aftertaste.

Very good pale ale. I would especially recommend this to people who are just exploring more exotic beers.

2.06/5  rDev -51.5%

Puchased a 1 pint 9.4oz bottle from Costco.

Golden pale color, white head that reamains throught the pour and while drinking. Smell seems off.

Dont understand the bid deal, skunky like most European beers...nothing special.

Good news....gave me a nice buzz.

SmokeyP