Maredsous 6 - Blonde | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2002

3.52/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.86/5  rDev +1%

Pours a slightly hazy , light amber, with moderate off-white head and lacing.

Aroma is yeast, light spice, slightly fruity, with a touch of sweetness. Nothing distinctive, or strong, just a pleasant,fresh sample of what should be there.

Taste pretty much follows nose,with maybe a bit more of estery/yeasty elements. A light touch of pleasant bitterness and fine carbonation on the tip of the tongue and at the back of the throat, on the finish.

Overall, not a knock-your-socks-off brew, but a pleasant experience, that I would have again.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A nice looking brew, clear golden body with moderate retaining head.

Aroma is a touch wishy washy, no real definition. Mild hops is all I get.

Taste is a touch harsh, quite aggressive for a low strength blonde. A few citrus under currents, but that initial hit kills them a little.
Feel is pretty good, fairly smooth on initial consumption, but a bit of a tart aftertaste.

Overall, could be better. Boofability, not so good.

4.37/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

At "ellis Gourmet Burger" restaurant in Brussels.

4.43/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy golden with very good clarity. Tall frothy white foam. Decent lacing. Moderate malty-grainy, biscuit aroma. Low fruits aroma. Touch of caramel. Well balanced medium sweetness and bitterness. Medium body, medium-high carbonation. Creamy, soft malt grittiness. Spicy and moderate dry long-lasting finish.

Fantastic Belgian Pale Ale.

4.86/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.09/5  rDev +7.1%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Smooth malt flavor, caramel, with that wonderful banana and bread smell/taste. A hint of bubble gum in this one as well. As you might expect from something from the Duvel folks, a wonderful carbonation and slightly dry finish. This ale looks like it once was an independent Abbey....Perhaps Duvel bought them? Good lacing, nice head...My only criticism: as you proceed it becomes evident that the ale is a little thin.

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Pours an opaque dark golden appearance with a substantial head.

Smells of banana, yeast, and some modest cloves. Also, honey, sweet bread and some floral notes.

This tastes delicious, with a modest amount of various tastes including; caramel, toasted bread, a little bit of banana, coriander, and bubble gum. This is a Belgian beer after all so the hops is not emphasized, and yet I feel more of a hop presence than in a lot of its peers. The mouthfeel is predictably excellent.

This was the first beer I had from Duvel besides their flagship, and I am very impressed.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer was the beer that got me sinto craft beer. And now I'm having it again after some 200 craft beers that vanished in between.

Poured to a Duvel tulip glass.

A: The body is yellow to orange-y. The head is white, one finger thick and leaves lots of lacing in the glass.
S: The aroma is very typical of a belgian pale ale as there's lots of brettomanyces, fruity and malts in here.
T&M: The taste differs from my regular belgian pale ale because this beer has a more nuanced profile of malts and toffee but the feel that stays in mounth while sipping is bitter and only after swallowing you get a more strong sweetness. Which is totally backwards but it's interesting. Body is medium high and carbonation is high and a bit harsh.
O: I'm finally having this beer again since I first had it in Stockholm in 2012. Since that day thatp I've Starter to look at the world of beers differently. Beer wise, Maredsous 6 is not that great beer but it does bring me lots of good memories.

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

From the bottle into the Maredsous goblet, it pours a hazy amber with a moderate head. The nose gets the malt and citrus. The mouth the bready flavor followed by pleasant aftertaste. Yum!

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a lightly hazy coppery amber with a half finger white head with great retention and super lacing. Aroma of light caramel malt, ripe stone fruit, apples, coriander, Belgian yeast. Flavor is mild caramel malt, lemon citrus and thin light stone fruit, apple, coriander and clove. Finishes a little thin with residual coriander and light hops that are a bit stark due to the mild fruit flavors. Medium bodied with good carbonation. A subdued and not inspiring Belgian blonde. The flavors are all here, but not very rich. The flavor tapers off into the finish. I like this brewery, but this is not my favorite offering from them. A satisfactory, but not notable Belgian blonde.

4.24/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I have been really remiss in drilling down into my (seemingly) interminable backlog. This poor little guy got shunted off to a corner of the reefer door & overlooked until now. I would shed a tear, but I have none left. The Abbaye de Chandler is where (many) beers come to grow old & die. I am doing my utmost to get caught up, however.

From the (stubby) 11.2-fl oz bottle: "Maredsous Blonde is a delectable Belgian Blonde with light fruitiness, soft malting, and a dry, gently hopped finish, brewed in accordance with the Benedictine tradition of the community of Maredsous Abbey. This bottle is refermented in the bottle during the two-month ageing period. Maredsous Blonde should ideally be served at a temperature of 42 - 50 [deg.] F."

I pulled out one of my most treasured chalices for this occasion. I Pop!ped the cap & stood back, awaiting the arrival of angels or the dulcet tones of their singing. When nothing of the sort occurred, I began a gentle pour, stroking the bottle so as to signify that I may be possibly worthy of its contents. I have been Brother Woody of the Order of Disorder since 2004, but I still pay homage as I deem appropriate. My efforts produced a dense, one-finger cap of unmoving, eggshell-white head, unlike anything that I have previously encountered. Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with the kind of clarity that I only achieve in cloister after several days of seclusion and fasting. Nose smelled of the fields of hay, barley and grass in which my brethren have toiled all summer. I was a bad brother, partaking of fleshy pursuits as well as other illicit pursuits until I was caught and shamed before the order. It was worth it! The creamy mouthfeel reminded me of the creamy flesh of that busty redhead and ... Ooops! Time for some cold dousing & self-flagellation! The taste was slightly bitter, very grassy with a biscuit maltiness that put me in mind of those biscuits cooling downwind of my portal. Ah, to be afforded the luxury of eating ... I am on air, prayer & eau until I can prove my worthiness again. Is it my fault that Our Lord endowed me with a divining rod that seems to know its own way to glistening wells of His creation? I allowed it to roll around on my tongue like the blonde & I rolled around in the hay as I continued to purge my mind of these evil thoughts. The lacing that was left behind was like the word from above! All is forgiven! I may return to my once thought-of errant ways with His blessing. Finish was semi-dry and bready/biscuity and I am awaiting my afternoon wafer before returning to a Zen-like state to continue my fast,

3.74/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev +1%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

3.64/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.99/5  rDev +4.5%