Maredsous 6 - Blonde | Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2002

View: Beers
3.89/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer was the beer that got me sinto craft beer. And now I'm having it again after some 200 craft beers that vanished in between.

Poured to a Duvel tulip glass.

A: The body is yellow to orange-y. The head is white, one finger thick and leaves lots of lacing in the glass.
S: The aroma is very typical of a belgian pale ale as there's lots of brettomanyces, fruity and malts in here.
T&M: The taste differs from my regular belgian pale ale because this beer has a more nuanced profile of malts and toffee but the feel that stays in mounth while sipping is bitter and only after swallowing you get a more strong sweetness. Which is totally backwards but it's interesting. Body is medium high and carbonation is high and a bit harsh.
O: I'm finally having this beer again since I first had it in Stockholm in 2012. Since that day thatp I've Starter to look at the world of beers differently. Beer wise, Maredsous 6 is not that great beer but it does bring me lots of good memories.

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

From the bottle into the Maredsous goblet, it pours a hazy amber with a moderate head. The nose gets the malt and citrus. The mouth the bready flavor followed by pleasant aftertaste. Yum!

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a lightly hazy coppery amber with a half finger white head with great retention and super lacing. Aroma of light caramel malt, ripe stone fruit, apples, coriander, Belgian yeast. Flavor is mild caramel malt, lemon citrus and thin light stone fruit, apple, coriander and clove. Finishes a little thin with residual coriander and light hops that are a bit stark due to the mild fruit flavors. Medium bodied with good carbonation. A subdued and not inspiring Belgian blonde. The flavors are all here, but not very rich. The flavor tapers off into the finish. I like this brewery, but this is not my favorite offering from them. A satisfactory, but not notable Belgian blonde.

4.24/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I have been really remiss in drilling down into my (seemingly) interminable backlog. This poor little guy got shunted off to a corner of the reefer door & overlooked until now. I would shed a tear, but I have none left. The Abbaye de Chandler is where (many) beers come to grow old & die. I am doing my utmost to get caught up, however.

From the (stubby) 11.2-fl oz bottle: "Maredsous Blonde is a delectable Belgian Blonde with light fruitiness, soft malting, and a dry, gently hopped finish, brewed in accordance with the Benedictine tradition of the community of Maredsous Abbey. This bottle is refermented in the bottle during the two-month ageing period. Maredsous Blonde should ideally be served at a temperature of 42 - 50 [deg.] F."

I pulled out one of my most treasured chalices for this occasion. I Pop!ped the cap & stood back, awaiting the arrival of angels or the dulcet tones of their singing. When nothing of the sort occurred, I began a gentle pour, stroking the bottle so as to signify that I may be possibly worthy of its contents. I have been Brother Woody of the Order of Disorder since 2004, but I still pay homage as I deem appropriate. My efforts produced a dense, one-finger cap of unmoving, eggshell-white head, unlike anything that I have previously encountered. Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with the kind of clarity that I only achieve in cloister after several days of seclusion and fasting. Nose smelled of the fields of hay, barley and grass in which my brethren have toiled all summer. I was a bad brother, partaking of fleshy pursuits as well as other illicit pursuits until I was caught and shamed before the order. It was worth it! The creamy mouthfeel reminded me of the creamy flesh of that busty redhead and ... Ooops! Time for some cold dousing & self-flagellation! The taste was slightly bitter, very grassy with a biscuit maltiness that put me in mind of those biscuits cooling downwind of my portal. Ah, to be afforded the luxury of eating ... I am on air, prayer & eau until I can prove my worthiness again. Is it my fault that Our Lord endowed me with a divining rod that seems to know its own way to glistening wells of His creation? I allowed it to roll around on my tongue like the blonde & I rolled around in the hay as I continued to purge my mind of these evil thoughts. The lacing that was left behind was like the word from above! All is forgiven! I may return to my once thought-of errant ways with His blessing. Finish was semi-dry and bready/biscuity and I am awaiting my afternoon wafer before returning to a Zen-like state to continue my fast,

3.74/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.64/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.99/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.63/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Best before 2/ 2016

The official Maredsous chalice is made of porcelain, a big chalice of a pale bone color with the Maredsous name on it.
I'll give up the look of this beer in exchange for orthodoxy within this brewery mindset.
It developed a very big, ultra foamy head, creamy, with decent retention.

The bouquet is assertive and delicious.
Bread, sweet biscuit, lots of honey, caramel, banana, flower, a bit of spices as in cinnamon and slight clove, strong earthy and hoppy spiciness after swirling. I detect a bit of cherry and wood, surely from some degree of oxidation.

Scrumptious carbonation.
Strong, assertive flavor upfront, bittersweet, well balanced although tilting towards bitterness. Short after, the bitterness wanes and the sweetness prevails, and notes appear.
Very floral, herbal, honey, caramel, banana,
The oxidized notes are cherry, wood and slight nut, and they don't eclipse the normal flavors.
The aftertaste is indeed short, but it is present. Predominantly sweet, and as a pleasant surprise, this beer coats your palate with sweetness.
Medium body, velvety and smooth.

The slight oxidation fit very well with this beer.
Scrumptious.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.54/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

3.84/5  rDev -0.3%

4.31/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.42/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottle 09.17. Aroma of yeast and flowers, malt and wheat in background. Light golden, clear. White five fingered head, overcarbonated. Very fresh in taste - wheat, grass, yeast. Low bitterness, grassy and bready aftertaste. Medium carbonation, light body, slick texture, little notes of alcohol. Very refreshing and drinkable.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottled and possibly bottle conditioned and strangely turned up in local off licence
Golden body with huge lasting foaming white head
Some wheat some golden syrup and hugely subtle but not nasty sulphur dioxide aroma
All that in the flavour with some citrus
Lovely mf and slight over lively fizz
Unusual but good

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Reviewed in "Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium".
Aso in Roger Protz' "300 More Beers To Try Before You Die", a sequel to his CAMRA classic.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%