Foxy Brown | Wormtown Brewery

Added by StrangeBrewer76 on 05-08-2010

3.9

Reviews by StrangeBrewer76:
3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Hazy deep amber brown. Soft, sticky inch of foam. Off-white with modest lacing at the top; more as it warmed.

S - Caramel malts mostly. Subtle vanilla, oak and maple.

T - Toasty, nutty, some chocolate malt that lingers in the finish. Sweet to start but drying quickly. Nice oak/toasted character. Burnt caramel too.

S - Small bubble carbonation but sharp when served cold, softer as it warms. Quickly drying, leaving a slightly burnt aftertaste.

D - This beer is proported to be made with local maple syrup but either I'm missing it or it fermented out. I suggest fenugreek for the illusion of maple retention but I digress. Overall this is a solid brown ale worth a try. I'd have to be in the mood for this one again but if browns are your style then you won't go wrong here. The 7abv never crossed my mind before I felt it. Well done.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Had on tap @ Prezo in Milford, MA.

A: Light 1 finger head over dark ruby red brown color.

N: Lots of dark rich malts, a little maple, brown sugar and molasses, hints of creamy porter and the faintest hint of earthy hops. A little smoke, just a touch that comes through with the maple.

T: Fairly sweet, with lots of maple and brown sugar flavors, molasses again, lots of lighter malts too, less than I expected from the nose. Some light bitter hops too, slightly earthy and spicy. A slight rich creamy porter flavor too.

M: Lighter with very low carbonation (weird for coming from the tap).

F: Slightly sweet as it dries a touch from the initial taste. More brown sugar, fluffy maple taste (not sure how else to describe it). Slight dryness late on the finish as the sweetness fades. I also get a slight smoky flavor late on the finish, accompanying the maple. I'm not a really big brown ale fan in general, but this was pretty tasty and very drinkable.

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%

A decent beer across the board. No major flaws. Slight haze, which could be resolved with a longer cold crash during conditioning. Aroma was nice, not overwhelmed with hops but also lacking the maple character as previously commented on, I would assume that the maple was either fermented out, a very small proportion, or none at all and in fact brown sugar. Good taste with some nice molasses notes and malt and a bigger body than the other beers i tried out. No huge hop presence which is good for the style, alcohol was masked well which would indicate good ferm temps. Over all I thought this beer was nice, fresh, but lacking some of the maple character I was hoping for...otherwise I would definitely order again.

Foxy Brown from Wormtown Brewery