Shadow Planet | Vintage Brewing Company

1.081 OG
29 IBUs

Added by WastingFreetime on 08-19-2011

3.46/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Transcribed from my notebook.

Shadow Planet
1.081 OG 29 IBUs 8.8 ABV
Advertised as a "Hybrid Belgian / English Style Strong Ale"

Served to me in a fancy glass chalice, appears as a very dark brown so close to being black that it passes for it if you don't look too closely at it and notice the brown highlights around the edges of the glass. No head at all. Extremely muted nose, I can really only pick up a faint whiff of raisin bread and excruciatingly faint generic vinous and woody notes. But the taste comes across as a delicious semi-dry plum pudding ester presence (Belgian) that had been baked on top of a tiny wooden plank. (English???) Finishes with a very slight level of astringent tartness...I cannot seem to separate the 29 IBUs of hop presence from the esters and alcohol heat, I'm not good enough a taster yet, it seems. There is an alcohol booziness that rears up around mid sip which makes the rest of the sip rather a bit severely dry... but this is perfectly appropriate for an English Strong Ale, as is the way in which this brew leans towards the drier side of the strong ale spectrum. Medium-thick body with sluggish carbonation that could stand to be boosted somewhat. Not syrupy, but meaty in feel.

In sum, a tasty Strong Ale. I just wish I could smell more of what is delivered to the palate in the nose.

Shadow Planet from Vintage Brewing Company