Belgian-Style Abbey Ale | Cathedral Square Brewery

Cathedral Square Brewery
Missouri, United States
cathedralsquarebrewery.com

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

This traditional Belgian-style ale is brewed using five malts, two hop varieties and authentic Trappist Belgian yeast.

Added by brownbeer on 03-10-2010

3.5

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 30 | Ratings: 64
3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

This is a very interesting brew. I jotted down my notes then looked at the other 4 reviews and realized that none of us got the same experience.

A - The name had me thinking dubbel, but when I poured it into my snifter I realized it was too dark to be a dubbel. It has a very dark cola-brown color with a tan, two-finger head of fluffy foam.

S - The aroma was malty, earthy and a little smoky. That really had me confused. I don't know of too many smoked Belgians.

T - Tasted smoky and of burnt toast maltiness. There was a earthy/herbal hop bite. Definitely some Belgian yeastiness, though.

M -It was crisp and sharp with a dry finish. A medium to full bodied beer.

D - Intriguing, to say the least. Listed as a Belgian dark ale works I guess, because it's not a dubbel or a Belgian strong ale. The smoky character is truly unique in a Belgian styled brew.

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

Got this at one of my favorite local bars and it's pretty rare I see a beer I'm not familiar with, so I had to give it a try. Pours a deep red copper color with a decent head that laces a bit, smell is like a rich biscuity maltiness, it is similar to fat tire in a lot of ways. Taste is similar too, doesn't really taste like a true Belgian ale, but more like a red ale, doesn't make it a bad beer just IMHO not a true Belgian style.

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a bronze-tinted mahogany, clear, topped by a tan head.

Malty notes of caramel and molasses on the nose, followed by a light green apple fruitiness. Fruitier on the palate, but still malt-forward, again showing caramel and molasses, yet with a walnut note mid-palate. Finishes moderately dry with a yeasty twang.

3.89/5  rDev +11.1%

Thanks to jdskinns for another Midwest gem.

Pours a surprisingly clear reddish brown, with a thick shimmery look, topped thinly by bare whisps of beige foam, finally a thinnest ring and clear top.

The smell is full of tart and estery yeast, light spice, hints of overripe plum, toasted bread, with a light hint of candy sugar.

It has a medium taste, starring the yeast in its tangy and fruity way. The malt bill gives it a fullness in the mouth which helps the light flavors work in the blend, with caramel, toast, and fig joining the party. There's a light bitter herbal hop flavor at finish, but it doesn't overpower the finish, and some of the malty flavors stay. Nice flavors, nice taste.

Very low carb. Stepping it up a touch would help this beer. Not as viscous as some in this vague style/category, but it works with the flavor profile, and gives it a refreshing dimension. Nice juicy finish.

Drinkability is good, a tasty, interesting, refreshing brew

Impression: Not bad, I guess I have easy access to crazy amounts of finest belgian styles beers and judge this one harshly. Wouldn't seek it out, but don't pass it by.

3.41/5  rDev -2.6%

I've never heard of these guys before but we got in a couple of sample bombers today.

Pours clear, reddish-brown with a tan head.

Kind of an unusal aroma, evergreen, Belgiany spice, and some fruity esters as it warms.

The taste as a bit more of the tree needles and fruity Belgian yeast. If it just had some more hops it would be more like a brown ale. I'll take New Belgium for half the price.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last