Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge | Brouwerij Bockor N.V. / Brouwerij Omer Vander Ghinste

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Added by Todd on 06-28-2009

#413

Ratings: 2,827 |  Reviews: 508

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.24/5  rDev -71.4%

1.28/5  rDev -70.4%

1.5/5  rDev -65.4%

1.75/5  rDev -59.6%

1.75/5  rDev -59.6%

2.1/5  rDev -51.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Nice amber deep ruby brown body, simple white head and lace. That's where the good ended.

This is the first beer rated well on BA that I really hated. I'll chalk it up to I don't like this style, but there are other beers that aren't my style but I can tell they're actually good and I enjoy them as a change. Not such here.

This beer smells of funk, and tastes of it too. It is far to sour and tart in the taste. There's a little cherry and slight malt in the body, the only ok qualities. Really it tastes like vinegar, quite seriously. I'm not ok with this. I respect this beer, but couldn't finish it. It may be your style, but goodness it is not mine. Sorry to rate what I guess is good beer as so poor, but I have to rate the numbers I feel reflect my opinion.

Hate to admit it, this was a drain pour.

2.4/5  rDev -44.6%

A - mahogany... can't really decide if it's red or brown. No head retention.

A - sour cherries, no way of getting around that. Imagine berry jam and white vinegar cooking in a pan together on the stove. There's depth to the aroma, but it's only realized once you get over the sharpness of the acidity.

T - Like your favorite sweet-and-sour candy.. without the sweet finish. Drinking this took me back to my days as a kid eating Warheads... then it just reminded me of coleslaw with too much vinegar.

M - It's hard to distinguish, for 5.5% it's lean. Nothing substantial to hold up to the twang.

O - Not sure what the point even is. In very small dosages this could be a wonderful palatte cleanser. It's also nice to prime with this beer before moving to your evening's IPA.

I paired this with sharp provolone, roasted red peppers and soppresata, surprisingly that barely held up to this beer's profile. Italian hot sausage and gravy faired better. Dark Chocolate did its part. Really, I can't recommend this beer at all, though I was glad to try.

If you're interested in giving this novelty a go, pairing it with food is mandatory ... or even pour some into a glass with a Russian Imperial Stout.

2.53/5  rDev -41.6%

Initial tartness is great but it fades into a cherry medicine flavor almost like robotussin reminds me of my youth in a real bad way

2.67/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V. / Brouwerij Omer Vander Ghinste
Beer rating: 4.33 out of 5 with 2,827 ratings