Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge | Brouwerij Bockor N.V. / Brouwerij Omer Vander Ghinste

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Alströms:

Ratings: 2,824 |  Reviews: 507

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz bottle into a wine glass.

A: Pours a dark ruby color. The head is about a finger high, with a khaki shade. Retention is shocking for a sour ale (read: it's only pretty good), and there's even some lacing left behind!

S: Oh, that's tart - just the way I like 'em. I'm really picking up a defined note of apple cider vinegar (which tells me it's an acetic-derived sourness). And yet, the cherry esters and caramel malt backbone still appears well. Now that I notice it, I'm picking up a strong oak barrel note also. This beer is the definition of controlled insanity: everything is nicely defined, in your face, and well balanced all at the same time.

T: This is EXACTLY what I want from a good Flemish sour. It starts with a ton of balsamic vinegar. It calms down just enough post mid-taste to reveal strong tones of cherry and apple cider. The oak barrel is nicely soft throughout. I don't think I've ever encountered such a perfect blend of tartness and sweet cherries in my life - not even Rodenbach Grand Cru brings both elements so well (and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Rodenbach Grand Cru).

M: This is deliciously puckering. The back end brings a touch of fruity sweetness to perfectly balance the massive tartness. It's not super drinkable, it's just ridiculously easy to savor. Carbonation is actually rather soft for the style.

O: What better way to celebrate Independence Day than with a beer from the country that brought you French Fries and knocking USA out of the 2014 World Cup? I could just savor this all day. Naturally, I need more of this in my life, right now in fact.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V. / Brouwerij Omer Vander Ghinste
Beer rating: 95% out of 100 with 2,824 ratings