Lambrucha | Vanberg & DeWulf

Vanberg & DeWulf
New York, United States
belgianexperts.com

Style: Lambic - Unblended

Blend of two ancient and unique fermented beverages, Lambic and Kombucha. Brewed and bottled at De Troch by Vanberg & DeWulf.

Added by emerge077 on 03-17-2010

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle thanks to Mikeymikee

Cloudy cider gold. Finger of white head. Nice tart nose. Lemons and mild musty funk. Flavors are like lemon lime soda with some sweet tarts crushed in it. Hint of the tea in the finish. Light bubbly body. Super easy drinker. Maybe not a true sour heads delight. However I could see crushing an entire 750 on a hot summer day.

3.84/5  rDev +2.4%

A - crisp, clear pale champagne color with an explosive, white bubbly head that dissipates quickly. Highly carbonated/spritzy.
The beer takes on the appearance of a bubbly cider on following pours as sediment mixes in.

S- herbal medicine and flowery notes with some wet hay funk behind it. Smells a bit like chamomille/ herbal tea, and very, very faintly of echinecea or anise. These smells are faint and balanced - the opposite of overdone or overpowering.

T- tart, lemony upfront and some light funk flavors, very refreshing. Quite dry. Unique. Really does taste like a lambic mixed with kombucha with a bit of herbs thrown in, whether or not herbs are used. Is the Kombucha added to the lambic for carbonation? Very low-alcohol but quite a lot of flavor, which I appreciate. Improves as it warms.

M- thin, light, fairly crisp. highly carbonated. The tartness is mouth-puckering and refreshing.

O- The smell is probably the most intriguing part of the beer. The herbal notes are well-done and subtle. Overall, it's unique, delicate and hard to place. Still, it's not exactly my cup of tea. For the price I paid, I wish I was drinking a regular, funkier gueuze instead. Still, I'm very glad I tried this experiment. I have blended beer and kombucha in my brewing - mostly not very successfully - so I wanted to try this for a long time. I would be happy to brew something like this for refreshment ( with less herbal notes) and I would go through a keg easily over a few weeks. However at $14+tax a bottle, I don't think I can justify the cost very often. Also, I've not seen this beer very often.

3.97/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Hazy pale gold in color with a huge white head that dissolves quickly into a small white cap that remains for the entirety of the beer. Leaves not one bit of lacing.

S: Has a nice lactic sourness mixed with orange peel,lemon,tea,pepper,apple cider vinegar, and a bit of fungusy funkiness.

T: Moderately sour and mildly earthy funky with tart lemon upfront and some floral tea in the background. Also picking up a touch of vinegar and pepper.

M: Crisp, light bodied, spritzy, effervescent, finishes dry.

O: What a refreshing beer! Great concept, great delivery, great price. What's not to like?

4.12/5  rDev +9.9%

A: golden almost orange with as quickly as the white head rises, it falls.
S: barnyard funk, lemon, sour tart apple, and should be no surprise - kombucha tea.
T: most unique beer I've ever tasted! Lemon, apple, kombucha tea, pepper, as mentioned in previous reviews- like a berliner weisse
M: thin body with little to no carbonation and just like a geuze,leaves your mouth watering for more
O: very interesting beer and at 3.5% very sessionable. The drinkability is exceptionally easy. Could drink this all day!

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

4.05/5  rDev +8%

This beer pours with a big, white, foamy-soapy head that doesn't last long at all, leaving a slightly cloudy golden, light amber liquid.

Tart aroma. Some spices dance around a light malt/biscuit backbone. A bit funky

This beer reminds me of a berlinerweiss, but not quite. A light breadiness underneath. Spices and tartness are dominant, but they don't overpower the beer. Barnyard, yeasty characteristics. The sourness is complemented by some tannin from the tea, I'm guessing. It has a sharpness to it that is welcomed by a guy who doesn't really like sours.

This is a very drinkable beer. The 3.5% helps, but the tame tartness is quenching

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Pours a pale gold with a slight hint of haze and a thin white head. Once the beer settles in the glass, a tremendous amount of effervescence can clearly be seen. Very active and lively.

S: Interesting to say the least. Aromas of tea, ginger, pepper, lemon, must, and barnyard funk are present on the nose. Smells like no other beer of which I can think.

T: Tart and funky with notes of lemon, unripened grapes, gooseberries, must, salty brine, tea, pepper, minerals, and ginger. The finish is spicy and salty with tea notes blending with citrus and lactic, funky yeast flavors.

M: Light bodied, spritzy, and very dry. Almost chalky on the palate. It feels odd, but is very drinkable.

O: I'm not really certain how to rate this beer. It's unlike anything I've had before. That being said, it is an intriguing and mostly enjoyable brew that is obviously crafted with care. I'd have no problem buying this again.

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

Shared with a few friends on a Friday night. Pours a fairly clear pale golden color with a decent white head that shows moderate retention. Smells of tart and funk, no really. Lemons and yellow mustard mixed with truffles and barnyard. This is quite an odd aroma, but it kind of works. Taste is tart funk with a nice puckering of lemons dominating the flavor. Earthy barnyard mixed with fungi round out the flavor. Medium body, spirited level of carbonation and a puckering tart mouthfeel. I enjoyed trying this, but I couldn't see me drinking more than the 6 or so ounces I had in one sitting.

Unkown vintage bought at Wilbur's in Fort Collins, CO. (They had a bunch left). Poured into a snifter. I never thought I would see this in Colorado.

This beer is a very light golden yellow full of lively bubbles rising to keep a thin head alive and strong.

Smells of noble hops and pilsner malt with overtones of lactic sourness and a bit of funk. Much less to this aroma than I expected. The usual depth of brett seems to be (at this time) lacking from what I expected.

My first sip amounted to surprising sourness and huge carbonation. I never really tasted much because the carbonation barely let it touch my tongue. Lets swirl this a bit and re-visit. After 5 minutes of swirling I can taste this beer, and it proves to be something different from anything I have ever tasted before (beer or otherwise). I have never had the tea that this lambic is blended with, so I can't say for sure that it is what I am tasting. However this specific class of flavors isn't quite like anything I have encountered before, so i assume it is the tea. It seems to amount to an interesting mixture of ginger, lemon, lemongrass, slightly funky sourness and a great deal of carbonation. Nearly like ginger-ale, the spicy synthetic flavor of diet ginger-ale. How odd and interesting.

The mouthfeel is very light and as previously stated; highly carbonated.

Conclusion: I don't even know how to rate this beer. It feels a bit like it is in a class of its own, and I don't have anything to compare it too. Lambic is such a crazily broad style that I can't say that this beer fits or doesn't fit. I like beer like this, that just "is". I don't personally love the flavor of this beer, but I enjoy it enough to drink the rest of the bottle with pleasure. If only it were less carbonated...

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into a chalice. This pours a hazy light orange color with about an inch of fluffy white head.

Tart peaches in the aroma with a hint of black tea in the background. Sour with that basement must that we all enjoy so much. Sweet lemonade type flavor with some tart lemon on the finish. A little sweeter than I would really enjoy.

The body is light and the carbonation is sharp. Overall this one isn't bad. I'd preffer it to be a bit less sweet.

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Hazy pale straw yellow with a few fingers white head.

S - Earthy aroma, musty funk, lemon and light spice. There is an aroma similar to funky mushrooms but i hate mushrooms and this is actually enjoyable.

T - Earthy and musty with lactic acid, peaches, tart apples, wet oak and that mushroom type thing I was picking up in the aroma.

M - Light body with prickly carbonation.

D - Quite enjoyable. I really like this combo together.

3.12/5  rDev -16.8%

An oddly appealing ale of low body and alcohol, but packed full of flavor and complexity. Part beer and part fermented tea, this specialty ale is both refreshing and characterful.

Pouring a murky lemon color and with a pelicle-like foam, the beer has somewhat still look with stark white foam and mild lace.

Lemony and flowery, the nose offers a lot of aroma not found in other beers: lemon and lime, hibiscus, tart candies, cider, and a raw earthy scent of tea-like herbs, corriander, and dried orange peel.

Flavors are an intertwined bit of sweet and tart. Lemond rinds and lime juice is pit up against cidery apples, acetic tones, powdered sugar sweetness, banana, appricot, clove, and a grassy taste in finsih that's not exactly hop derived. Moderate acidity provides balance because of the low lying hop character, this is a sweeter tasting Lambic than I'm used to. The flowery notion in flavor gives an odd yet playful perfume character.

Light because of the acidic fruit character and spritzy in an almost sparkling wine kind of way. But somewhat dull in the way the unresolved sweetness lays on the tongue. Very odd to see this type of weight for a sour ale. Flowery slickness provides a coat of the tongue while allowing for a powdery dryish finish.

A very odd, but not unappealing beer. More dryness is needed to bring the beer closer to balance, to increase drinkability, and to keep the beer from tasting like fruit flavored candies.

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

Thanks to Lostcook for sharing this!

App- Straw colored with a slight white head.

Sm- Brett dominates in a medicinal way but get notes of grapefruit and mustiness.

Ta- Much more lactic than I was expecting lemons, limes and a bit of wheat. A medicinal bitterness helps to balance it all.

Ov- Really surprised this came from De Troch lambic. I think the kambucha culture really kicked this one up. Hope to find it again.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Served this 750 mL green bottle in a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date but I've had this in my cellar since 7/10. The beer was champagne colored and despite a hard pour, there was only a small amount of bubbles which evaporated immediately.

The smell was medicinal. SweetTart candy. Not to forward with the aroma.

The taste was tangy and sour. 7-Up and Pixie Stix. Maybe a hint of powder. Floral. Salt? and faint yeastiness. Lots of candy going on here in the aroma and flavor. Lacking something, maybe it's past it's prime. I would try it again.

The mouthfeel was light with minimal carbonation, only a fine scrubbing prickle in the finish. This one is lacking something, maybe it's past it's prime. I would try it again.

2.86/5  rDev -23.7%

A-Pours a slightly hazy, pear juice color with a one and a half finger head that quickly dissipates.

S-Smells slightly peppery with some lemon and with an almost Ben-Gay menthol-ly aroma.

T-Tart lemony with a light, cidery quality and finishes dry with very little acidity or bitterness.

M-Very carbonated and prickly in the mouth with a very light body and slight dryness.

D-Pretty drinkable but it's a little one-note in the taste department, with lemon being that one-note. I was also hoping for some more acidity/sourness than is present in this one.

3.67/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a whitish pale straw color, very similar to a wit, more of a pale peach color actually. The head is spritzy and short lived; settles quickly into a light ring.

The aroma is of a tart lemon, green apple and perhaps a hint of white grapefruit. There is a spice note that I imagine come from the tea. The aroma is very fruity and vibrant.

The taste is of tart grape skins, light apple skin, lemon and a touch of vinegar. The beer is very spritzy so it seems that the beer loses its flavor a bit. I pick up some pepper spice from the tea but not much else.

This sucker is very carbonated; spritzy is the perfect word. The beer is tart on the palate and finishes dry. Great to cleanse the palate.

A nice tart beer and quite refreshing. The flavor is a tad lacking and is one dimensional. Definitely worth a try.

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

This one's an oddball. I'm not really familiar with kombucha at all, I've only ever had it in beer.

A- Hazy mild orange with an active head that settles out quickly. Spritzy, high carbonation.

S- Like lemonade. Sweet, a bit tart, and very 'fresh' and fruity. A little more must and dust comes out as it comes to temperature.

T- The lambic is bright, tart, and lemony, although it's really pretty soft in the grand scheme of things. The tea imparts some strange floral notes and perhaps a bit of earthiness, although the earthiness is fleeting. I get a bit of papaya and strawberry jam.

M- Light, spritzy, crisp, refreshing. Flavors are mellow and subdued, this beer is almost gulp-able. Very enjoyable.

O- A damn good and very unique beer. I'm impressed, and this def. exceeded my expectations. I'll be buying more, and hope it's more than a one-off. Good stuff.

4.12/5  rDev +9.9%

750ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours pale golden orangey in color with a mild haze and two fingers of extemely fizzy - snap, crackle, pop! fizzy white head that loudly falls to an uneven skim coat that gets constantly replenished by a steady stream of fresh bubbles eminating from the bottom of the glass.

S - Very, very funky aroma...extreme horse blankets, wet hay, horse manure, wet earth with a bit of floral aromas, some citrus, a dirty kind of tartness. One of the funkier beers I've ever experienced. This smells great!

T - Tart and quite lemony up front. Limes, perhaps other citrus also contribute to the tart fruitiness. Tartness and sourness at a medium intensity level - giving an overall brightness to the flavors and a refreshing, thirst quenching character. A bit puckering and mouth drying on the finish that makes you long for another sip. There is also an herbal coolness that crops up in the middle of each sip (perhaps the tea infusion here). Yeasty and a bit earthy, but sadly, the funk that is so prominent in the aroma is largely missing in the flavor, possibly overpowered by the tart citrus that dominates the flavor profile.

M - On the thin side of medium - definitely not heading towards watery though. Actually a surprising amount of body is present, but within style and desirable. A bit of funk, but mostly tart, lemon/limeade like and a bit yeasty. Carbonation is strong and soda-like - maybe even a bit over the top...getting a bit of a bloated feeling from downing this one in rather short order.

O - This is a bit of a surprise for me. I went into this without a lot of expectations and actually thought it might be a bit gimicky...and maybe it still is. Not sure exactly what the tea added to this. However, I really enjoyed this beer - this makes for a good summer refresher - low alcohol and going down like lemonade. Definitely worth a shot...price point will likely keep me from getting this too often, but I see myself buying this again in the near future.

Lambrucha from Vanberg & DeWulf