St. Pauli Girl | St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

St. Pauli GirlSt. Pauli Girl
2.88/5
St. Pauli GirlSt. Pauli Girl

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.
Germany
stpauligirl.com

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2000

Ratings: 1,146 |  Reviews: 422
Reviews by RobertColianni:
2.25/5  rDev -21.9%

St. Pauli Girl brewed by St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co. This German Piliser with an ABV of 4.90% pours out a nice golden amber color with a nice white head. There is some nice spotty lacing to this brew,it sticks to the side of the glass well. The smell is mild skunkie with grains and malts. Not a fan of brews in green bottles,but it is what it is. Now for the taste, it is bold with grins and malts. You do pick up on some nice mild hops in the taste as well. The skunk flavor is there. However it is not to bad, I have had a lot worse. The body is a solid medium, a real smooth going brew. There is nothing overpowering about this brew, it has a real nice balance to it. This brew would be nicer on tap or out of a can . The mouth feel is Bold, Clean, Smooth, and Refreshing. Overall I'm giving St. Pauli Girl a soild 4 out of 5. I would look this brew up again givin the chance to. St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co., Did a nice job with this brew.

This is my absolute favorite beer of all time. I think it tastes great, even if it does not have a reputation of being an excellent beer. To me, it is just a higher quality, slightly more sophisticated version of domestic party and game-day beers like Budweiser and Miller, and if that does't sound appealing to you, then I don't know what to tell you.

3.5/5  rDev +21.5%

A good German style lager beer. Not overloaded with hops that seems to be the current style with so many ales. Has that German beer taste. Reminds me of my days in Germany while in the army.

3.92/5  rDev +36.1%

picked up because I love the style and knew it came from an area that I know I like the beer. a finger head and golden color. smell is a bit skunky. the taste is clean, crisp, refreshing, maybe a very tiny bit skunky but in a good way. on the same level as Becks for me. if I wanted this style, I'd go to this or Becks. good beer.

Once again I see that a famous German import gets a low rating compared to what I think. But what do I know? We were drinking these as a big treat way before all the American Crafters exploded on the scene. So maybe I'm being sentimental.

1.06/5  rDev -63.2%

Gawd...this is one terrible beer.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a white cap. Carbonation cascades up the glass.

Smell: Cooked corn! I finally figured out what that meant. This beer is cooked corn all over the place. With shades of cold garbage and veggie waste.

Taste: Some bitterness (hop maybe), stale wheat bread, and a sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Water.

Drinkability: I think not.

Overall: A terrible beer. I tried this just because I needed to understand the antithesis of craft beer. This is it. Look no further and avoid if all possible. This definitely provides perspective and a contrast to the usual fare of fine brews I have grown accustom to.

1.73/5  rDev -39.9%

Appearance – Delicate light yellow in color without much of a head.

Smell – Straight skunk from forty paces out. There’s a bit of that pils hop aroma in the glass if you dare to venture close enough, but otherwise this is one of the skunkiest beers that I’ve ever had.

Taste – The nasty skunk flavors turn to pukish Gummi-Bear sweets. This is nasty with a capital “N”.

Mouthfeel – A thin body and some cheap carbonation made this one tough to swallow.

Sinkability – This one is heading for the drain.

this is a perfectly fine lager, and anyone who says otherwise should consider what a lager is supposed to be. it is supposed to be easy to drink and balanced so that no flavors overwhelm over the course of drinking more than a few.
I must say though, this beer just like many other imports, it should be in a brown bottle.
some people may not even be familiar with the differences, but these import lagers ive tried in both green and brown bottles, they always taste better in the brown bottle, and its easily noticeable. The green bottle gives the beer an almost sour sweetness, and the brown bottle has a more natural grainy tasting sweetness without the sour flavor which is also referred to as a skunky flavor. The thing ive noticed, is that when i purchase a 12 pack package of this st. pauli girl beer, since the beer is not exposed to light, the beer taste more like it should taste without that certain skunky sweetness. i pour it into a glass from a distance to get rid of the extra carbonation put in it, and it taste absolutely awesome over a 6 beer drinking session. I just suggest to get it in the 12 pack package so that the beer has not been effected by light.

4.55/5  rDev +58%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I have not had this beer since I was younger and now that I recently bought it I now know why I bought it when I was younger. This beer is really good plain and simple. 12 oz bottle smelled good at first opening drank straight from the bottle.
Good hopps but not over the top and good lingering flavor, nothing bitter with this beer. Born date 7/2015 and still holds it's taste at 12/16, most people wouldn't bother because of the date. I'm glad I tried it again and will buy more of it.

2.84/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.5/5  rDev +21.5%

This is a decent macro import that is always on sale here and is great for warm weather drinking. It pours a golden color with a good white head that stays for awhile and leaves a thin sheat of lace down my glass. The smell is a littly funky but not bad, and has a decent ammount of malt in the nose as well. The taste is refreshing with its crisp bite, good malt flavors and a slight hop flavor as well. This is my macro import of choice.

3.75/5  rDev +30.2%

1.38/5  rDev -52.1%

Wow, this is a lot worse than I expected.

Ultra-thin, very light colored body. Corn/grass smell (stench). Noxious, offensive, invasive taste. I cant even say it goes down easy, so even the drinkability is low.

I guess this is the Budweiser of Germany, but at least you can ignore Bud while you are drinking it. St Pauli Girl is like a slap in the mouth.

Harsh.

3.25/5  rDev +12.8%

3.28/5  rDev +13.9%

Presentation: 12oz green bottle. And, there she is again. My girl friend, St. Pauli Girl. Freshness date stamped on the back.

Appearance: Ultra clear and pale. Moderate carbonation activity, creating a thin whisp of a white lace. Sticky and holds as a ring around the glass.

Smell: Light grain and sulfur aromas (by-product of the yeast).

Taste: Light and crisp upfront. Malt sweetness is mild, but rounded, complete. Hops are tea-like, floral, some herbal notes too as it lightly prickles the palate. Light sulfur flavours abaft it all. Finishes with grain notes, leaving the palate a tad dry.

Notes: An okay brew, even despite those awesomely cheesy adverts and stigma on imported lager -- in comparison to others of the same style.

3.35/5  rDev +16.3%

Overall I like this beer, fairly smooth, good taste, doesn't go down as easy as some but not bad overall. Good to try something different if your in the mood for something new. Overall not a bad beer now and again but wouldn't drink it regularly.Maybe it's great on tap, never had a chance to try it.

3.75/5  rDev +30.2%

2.81/5  rDev -2.4%

More or less skunked depending on how old it is and where it has been stored. Either way there is that underlying overcooked hop aroma and flavour ... not as bad as some other known skunk laden imports though.

3.55/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours an amber yellow color with a white head with decent lacing. Smell is not exciting. taste seems to vary from bottle to bottle. This is probably due to spoilage from the green bottles. Taste is smooth and moderately malty. Hops are well balanced. Finishes clean with a sweet malty aftertaste. With the demise of my standard session beer Beck's (it is now brewed in the USA by AB) this is a close second. The beers are very similar, probably due to them being brewed under the same roof in Bremen Germany. There are, of course, better German Pilsners/Lagers such as Spaten and Lowenbrau,
but for the price this a great German beer.

St. Pauli Girl from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.
Beer rating: 2.88 out of 5 with 1,146 ratings