St. Pauli Girl | St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

poor
Read the review
St. Pauli GirlSt. Pauli Girl

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.
Germany
stpauligirl.com

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2000

2.9

Ratings: 1,143 |  Reviews: 420

This is my absolute favorite beer of all time. I think it tastes great, even if it does not have a reputation of being an excellent beer. To me, it is just a higher quality, slightly more sophisticated version of domestic party and game-day beers like Budweiser and Miller, and if that does't sound appealing to you, then I don't know what to tell you.

4.99/5  rDev +72.1%

Pours a bit darker than say Warsteiner, but is still nice and clear and well carbonated. Tasted a lot better than the first time I tried it . In a closed 12 pack with an April 2018 best by date this was very good.

4.83/5  rDev +66.6%

Very fair US pricing for this excellent Pilsner. One of the best import buys for price and quality.

4.75/5  rDev +63.8%

4.75/5  rDev +63.8%

4.71/5  rDev +62.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.62/5  rDev +59.3%

i really love this beer.. i enjoy getting a 12 pack with my buddies hanging out a bsing.. looking at her.. shes a cutie..
light yellow when poured..
tastes smooth.. not over powering with hops or malts..
you can have more then 4 or 6 cand still keep on going and not get a dry palate
overall.. drink it

4.55/5  rDev +56.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I have not had this beer since I was younger and now that I recently bought it I now know why I bought it when I was younger. This beer is really good plain and simple. 12 oz bottle smelled good at first opening drank straight from the bottle.
Good hopps but not over the top and good lingering flavor, nothing bitter with this beer. Born date 7/2015 and still holds it's taste at 12/16, most people wouldn't bother because of the date. I'm glad I tried it again and will buy more of it.

4.52/5  rDev +55.9%

Great bitter beer with a smooth finish

4.5/5  rDev +55.2%

I try as many different beers as anybody and this is one I keep comming back to. I agree with the reviewer about freshness. It really does make a difference. I don't care what anyone says this is a great refreshing beer and one of my all time favorites. German lagers must be my taste preference. Enjoy!

4.42/5  rDev +52.4%

One of the true german flavor for lager kind.. beer you buy in any pub in Europe.. very popular there. I love it.
But like all things, flavor is a cultural variable...

4.4/5  rDev +51.7%

This beer has always had a special place in my heart, my first favorite good beer. Undoubtedly ingrained in my mind from the pauli girl posture that hung in our garage during my childhood. In spite of how far my beer horizons have grown, I still find myself coming back to this one time and time again, partially out of sentiment, and that I think it's a tasty, easy drinking example style. For those situations where the proletariat demands a macro lager, this always comes through. In fact, we served this at my wedding.

One of the rare times I've poured it into a glass, this time into a nonic pint, it's a pale yellow with a thin white head that quickly fades to a steady skim, fed by the steady streamers.

The aroma is moderate, raw grain, leafy hops, and a sulfur skunkiness.

The taste is also grainy and skunky, a bit of bread dough as well, with a dry, bitter, crisp noble hop finish.

The mouthfeel is crisp and the body is very light. It seems a little watery out of the glass, but I never notice this out of the bottle.

Since I like this beer, I can drink it like water. My go to cheap hot drink a lot brew, it never lets me down...while I recognize that I drank their kool-aide, it's pretty good. Indeed, some girls are unforgettable!

4.35/5  rDev +50%

Traditional german taste. Great pilsner. Reminds me a lot of Heineken but tastes better to me.

4.34/5  rDev +49.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really like this beer. Traveled Europe, Canada and SA for work and have had several hundred types. Yes, it is like Heineken but more everything! Listen, people rated Mirror Pond and Sierra Nevada - for it's high alcohol content. People tend to like to get a kick, especially when you drink lots. I'm a PHD and know that from all the alcoholics I see. This is a great tasting beer!

4.28/5  rDev +47.6%

My first beer non-American beer. I remember where I was, who I was with, and what I ate when I had my first of many St. Pauli Girl's. I don't care what anyone thinks, I love the smell, the taste, and the green bottle it comes in.

4.25/5  rDev +46.6%

First off, I am bias about this beer. This is the second import I ever tried in my life way back in the underage days. A friend who was an exchange student introduced me to it. As far as "quantity" (not quality) is concerned, it is the number one import that I buy. In a way, St. Pauli Girl planted the seed that grew into my culture of drinking many types of beer.

The beer pours a lighter golden color with a huge head. Very huge head and I pour beer correctly. Also, it is by far not the first time I have poured it so I knew what to expect. The smell is the benchmark I hold for German beers. A bias high marks for it. The taste is a little on the weak side compared to other German beers. What it lacks in taste (for German beers), it make up in drinkability. I would guess that it is a popular hard drinking beer in Germany, but I can not confirm that.

4.22/5  rDev +45.5%

Good bier. It is similar to Heineken but better. It has a golden straw color to it and a clear but slightly funky skunk smell to it. The taste is just a step above Heineken. The mouthfeel and drinkability is very smooth and easy. I really enjoy this beer.

St. Pauli Girl from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.