St. Pauli Girl | St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

poor
Read the review
St. Pauli GirlSt. Pauli Girl

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.
Germany
stpauligirl.com

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2000

Ratings: 1,139 |  Reviews: 419
2.87/5  rDev -0.7%

It's time for another "Good Idea, Bad Idea". Good idea, drinking and reviewing awesome beers on BA. Bad idea, the existence of this beer. Well it's that time again, time for another Jared's Bad Beer Review. In this session, St. Pauli Girl, what I remember as being the most foul thing I've ever put into my mouth from years ago, the first and only time I've ever touched this thing. I almost wanted to skunk it more for the fun, but why bother. It's bad enough I'm sure. They even have the date on there, best by 03/2012, so it can't be that bad, can it?!

And the cap is removed, no going back now. The pour yields a pasty white 1.5 finger fizzy but creamy semi thick but bubbly head, reminiscent of albino sperm, and fades with actual sperm like lacing. The beer is more clear than Boston water, less brown as well, it's golden colored like a fake tan.

Nose, well not quite as bad as I remember actually. I'm a little turned off by not throwing up as I breath it in. It's actually somewhat breathable. I get some faint cracked straw and pilsner like malts, that breath a light juiciness almost as if it were at one point made with actual beer. Just a hint of skunked lager, not much by way of horridness actually. Granted I did pull this right out of a non-light penetrating case from a fridge, and directly into my fridge so very little light exposure. A light Bavarian malt aroma really seals the deal as an actual beer. Even the hops... wait just kidding, no hops were harmed in the making of this beer.

Taste goes down hill a bit, but again not the super skunked re-vomited anal leakage I remember it being. It is pretty watery, more so than most German pilsners (real ones that is). Light cracked straw blends with watered pilsner malt and a hint of sweetness to bring real flavor to it. A decent lager crispness as well, but no real fruity flavors. As it rolls off my tongue faster and smoother than water (as it mostly it just water), the light flavor and mostly lack of flavor turn to a light hint of bitterness, with maybe a hint of grassy hops, I think they waved the 10 year old hops over the beer and a few lupulin glands fell in. Then a bit of a metallic twinge kicks in, just when I thought this beer was actually going to be refreshing. The metallic flavor really lingers making me have to go back and sip more so the watered down straw is overpowering the "just chewed on tin foil" flavor and now my mind is bringing the feel of it as well. Oy!

Mouth is practically non-existant, FG of like 0.080, and actually not much carbonation either.

Overall not as bad as I thought. The metallic flavor on the finish is the real downfall, but not really skunked, and not a huge mess either. I'm glad I tried this again, and did a full review. Perhaps I should give other piss beers a try again. This I would say is worlds better than the macro swill of U.S., and to tell the truth, I'm a little glad it surprised me in a good way. And hell, at least I got some entertainment out of writing this.

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

3.15/5  rDev +9%

Lucky no skunk in this green bottle.

Appearance was average golden, nice head, not over carbonated.

Smell was average at best.

Taste was solid. Not the greatest in the world, but nice.

Mouthfeel was excellent, not overly sweet, nice hop flavor, malty..really good.

Overall I would risk the purchase (due to the green bottle) again. This is a winner.

4.5/5  rDev +55.7%

1.5/5  rDev -48.1%

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

2.5/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from bottle to Pilsner glass.

A - Beer pours a bright pale gold color that is crystal clear with a 1 finger white head that has average retention and lacing.

S - Not a lot of aroma though the grainy character is noticeable. Cannot detect any yeast or hop notes.

T/M - The beer starts out clean and crisp and stays that way throughout. It is quite light in terms of mouthfeel. The middle of the beer the light pale malts and lager yeast are mildly present and blend rather well with the lightly grainy upfront flavor. The beer finishes crisp and clean.

D - Very drinkable.

Overall, I think this beer is pretty average for the style. Nothing stands out really but isn't bad by any means either. Quite refreshing.

Reviewed on: 01-24-2011 21:02:24

3.01/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Pours a yellow/golden color, white head maybe a quarter finger. No lacing to speak of.

S: Smells grassy and earthy. Not picking up on much else

T: Taste about like it smells. Grass and floral notes, followed by a skunky bitter after taste. It doesn't taste bad. I like the taste, but just not very flavorful.

M: Very clean, crisp, and enjoyable mouthfeel. I think this is what makes this beer seem better than it actually is.

O: Its not a bad beer but could definately be better. I heard bad things about it but I wouldn't say its horrible.

2.5/5  rDev -13.5%

St. Pauli Girl from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.