St. Pauli N. A. | St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

poor
awful
Read the review
St. Pauli N. A.St. Pauli N. A.

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.
Germany | website

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-05-2001

Reviews: 72 | Ratings: 137
2.93/5  rDev +21.1%

Pours pale golden with a lasting creamy white head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is mild - some floral notes and some light grain.

The taste is metallic. Some unfermented grain is there.

Despite the rough metallic notes, it is smooth. Carbonation level is just about right for it. Not too watery for the style.

Drinkable to a point despite the harsh lingering metal character. (I much preferred the Kaliber I recently had over this one - it's just too metallic.)

2.22/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

A mixture of seltzer water and beer from the appearance, doesn't hold a head. Aroma gave off a slight skunk edge that wasn't bothersome, just like the regular version of this stuff.

Taste same vibe, skunk, but not much else discernable. A little sweet for some reason unlike the regular. Still gets hot alcohol feels when it warms. Pass.

3.97/5  rDev +64%

Looks yellow and clear, with decent head of foam. Average
Smells grassy and vegetal with faint hop aromas as well. Slightly above average
Tastes like beer. Seriously. Euro lager flavor of sweet malt and bitter hops. Well above average
Feels like beer too. Medium bodied, crisp carbonation and waaay better then most near beers. Fantastic!
Overall this is probably as good as it gets for beers of the NA variety. Nice to unwind with a few after work, and its "fancy" enough to bring to gatherings as well.

2.66/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

More than twenty years ago I gave up drinking alcohol for a time because my wife at the time thought I drank too much. She's now my ex-wife, but that's another story.
I remember drinking a lot of low-alcohol beers, and enjoyed this one the most. I thought I'd revisit it after all these years.
In a pint glass it was a pale gold with a small white head.
No real aroma or taste. Kind of skunky.
Light bodied, like drinking faintly flavored water.
What was I thinking back then?

2.42/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

In the true spirit of green bottle beer, it was more further down the line of the NAs I've tried. While it's definitely the most full of something that I've tasted, It wasn't my kind of taste. Pours really nicely, pale and tall. Decent lacing etc. However, the smell is what put me off. It's skunky smell is akin to others like it, and if you're a fan of that kind of beer, this would be alright for you. Taste can be slightly metallic at times, but overall a decently strong sweet and then bitter punch. Overall, not horrible.

2.6/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

So I'm at a wedding with an open bar and it's B/M/C macros, Amstel or St. Pauli Girl. Frankly, I thought I was getting the regular "St Pauli" lager when I ordered it. I was surprised to see the "NA" on the bottle, but thought it would be great with dinner. The taste was reminiscent of the old (imported) Beck's and immediately took me back. Not much to write about--perhaps a tad sweeter than the Beck's or St. Pauli I remember; but it was fun to enjoy a whole bottle (and then another) with dinner without a hint of a buzz. When dancing started, however, it made heading back to the bar for a "real" drink a priority.

3.35/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I got around to trying this one, since my wife is expecting and she drinks these to satisfy her beer cravings. Of all the NA beers I've had this one is among the best. Brewed in Bremen, Germany, it's got a flavor/smell very similar to beck's. Lots of 'green bottle' beer flavors going on - slightly skunky like a Heineken or bitburger. Refreshing on a hot summer day. I could drink a 12-pack!

2.89/5  rDev +19.4%

On tap in Vail, CO.

A-The beer is very, very pale. The one-inch head of white foam has pretty good retention and leaves fine lacing on the glass as I drink. Carbonation is pretty active and visible in the clear liquid. Decent looking stuff.

S-Not much happening on the nose (as you might expect). I sniff some floral notes, a bit of grain, some dried bread (that reminds me of a pilsner), and a bit of cooked corn. I have smelled worse beers.

T-The taste is pretty heavy on the cooked corn flavor. There is a little bit of floral character and some dry, cracker/white bread flavors too, but the mushy veggie taste is strong here.

M-The beer is light to medium in heft with a moderate to higher level of carbonation. Drinkable.

O-This obviously does not hold a candle to real beers with alcohol, but scored to style St. Pauli NA compares OK to other NA beers. If you need a malt beverage but don't want to the alcohol, this fits the bill as well as most NA alternatives.

3.93/5  rDev +62.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It's an NA beer, so I rated it in comparison to what I expect from an NA beer.

Has a slightly deep golden color.

Skunky smell which I like.

Tastes more like beer than most NA's. Despite a slight metallic taste in spots, it actually has a good overall taste.

Has a light feel but thicker than its competitors.

Overall a good NA beer. A little expensive for what it is though.

1.5/5  rDev -38%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a mug. Skunky flat tasting had ok color but if that is the best that I can come up with, you might want to pass on this brew.

2.74/5  rDev +13.2%

Got one for free for being a designated driver and this was my first NA beer. The appearance was a pale yellow and the smell was mostly rice. Good amount of carbonation though. The taste was mostly rice with some hints of malt although it had a bit of a metallic twinge to it near the end. The mouthfeel was average, but overall it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be.

2.65/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours to a generous head that persists. Color is pale straw. Aroma is skunky and rubbery to the point I almost gave up. There are some nice wort-like malt and noble hop aromas in there once the skunk dissipates in the nasal passages. Unlike most green bottle beers the skunk aroma does not decrease much over time. Flavor is pretty good with some sticky pale malt and noble hop flavors to make it enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light, slightly wort-y and not as rough as other NAs. Overall, good as NAs go but the mercaptans in the nose nearly killed the deal.

2.41/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

St. Pauli NA is a way better beer than O'Douls . way better taste way better smell. I would prefer a heavy beer but they don't make NA stout beers but the most beer that is close to a stout is Kaliber which is made by Guinness also there is Malta which is supposed be a good beer.

1.61/5  rDev -33.5%

Appearance - good clarity to the straw color. Nice finger of sticky white foamage. Good lacing, too.

Aroma - extremely skunky. DGB on the scene. Yuck. That does dissipate some, allowing some strong veggie character through. Good enough to get off the schneid, but just barely.

Taste - sweet and vegetal. It's a good thing I'm thirsty or this would be an instant DP. Like a pils with no saaz, they could have at least amped that part up. Almost a salty taste as I bang the last half down with prejudice due to misconduct on the part of this beer. The aftertaste is a punishing mix of shallow sweetness, bubbles, and veggies.

Mouthfeel - slickish, good carbonation at least makes for some fizz. Body is light enough to have a reasonably refreshing feel.

Overall - no thank you, I shall pass.

3.38/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a few shades yellower than water, crystal clear, with a huge soft, dense, bright white head that stuck around for a long while before fading into a very rocky and thick film that left sticky rocky lace. Very impressive actually.
S: Strong notes of dry grains pretty much dominate. Sweet notes of honey and wort-like malt extract poke through as well. Smells like beer while its still wort in the kettle, in a good way.
T: More sweet honey tastes mixed with cracked grains and biscuity yeast. The finish is sweet and wort-like and the aftertaste is drying with flavors of bready wheat and oats.
M: Medium-light body, soft fuzzy carbonation, slick, chew mouthfeel.
O: As far as pale lagers go this is better than some of the alcoholic ones. A bit to sweet for me to love though, but I actually wouldn't mind drinking this again.

3.55/5  rDev +46.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a centimeter thick, creamy white head that dissipates quickly leaving a very nice lacing.

Smell - Has a very nice skunk aroma with butter, malts, and bread.

Taste - Identical to the aroma without the skunk. The sweetness of it is a little strong and tastes weird.. I can't really describe it. It kind of reminds me of that flavor gluten-free beers have.. Which I think is sorghum

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - I'm not so impressed by this N/A beer compared to the others I've tried.

3.21/5  rDev +32.6%

Clear gold with two fingers of 5 minute white head. Rings of lacing.
Smell is skunk and grains.
Taste is sweet malts with a touch of bitter hops coming in late.
Mouthfeel is average carbonation and thin bodied.
Overall a passable beer for the style. Seems quite a bit sweeter than their regular beer.
Best by 0913.

2.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Best by 09. 2012

Golden with a central dome and outward flowing bone white foam. Pretty good look for the style examples I've seen. Smells of light grain, some dough, some sweet bread, a touch of floral hops and a little bit of yeast character. Corn, grain, really sweet, slight bitterness on the back end. Nothing special. Thin bodied and moderate carb. Meh, not the worst, not the best I've had. It's funny though, I'm finding that the NA beers have the knack of never really seeming to skunk.

2.55/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin bright white head that died down and left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface along with lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of skunk and cooked corn in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell but also has some hints of bready malts akin to a pilsner. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light-bodied—but not watery—on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This isn’t one of the greatest non-alcoholic beers but the taste isn’t that offensive and tastes better than some American Adjunct Lagers.

2.55/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pilsner: Completely transparent body that just kind of tints everything on the other side of it a little jaundicey. Three fingers of glistening, porous, white foam that leaves sudsy lacing all over. A few slow, small bubbles of nucleation - like, I can literally count them.

Smells like sweet apple juice & just a little corn flake. Honestly not an offensive smell (if not particularly appetizing, either), but there's just a hint of "aftersmell" when I pull it away from my nose that varies from damp basement to gas station. Only happens once or twice, so I'm not giving it too much of a hit because of that.

Again, just kind of a weak apple juice taste with a very subdued/faky graininess. Bitterness in the finish, actually a little crisp.

Thin mouthfeel with a slight tingle & a small sugary sweetness.

This may come as a shock, but I've actually had worse beers than this. I can't say I *liked* it, but I sure didn't hate it either. The highs sure weren't high, but the lows weren't huge turn-offs. Just a pretty bland malt/apple soda, basically.

3.3/5  rDev +36.4%

Appearance - Light, pale straw color, with a stark-white frothy head.

Aroma - Pale, toasted malts, hops, and clean water.

Taste - Pale, roasted malts, but most noticeable are the grassy hops at the front.

The mouthfeel is watery and light.

It's a good change of pace for low-alcohol beers. It's a little too chalky for me, but it is still good.

2.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from a green 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very skunky, could be the dreaded green bottle. Taste also has some skunk to it, somewhat sweet, lots of grains. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I wouldn't go out of my to find this one.

2.26/5  rDev -6.6%

OK, I admit,I'm only reviewing this to tick a style that I haven't done yet. I would never buy a sixer of this but came across a free single bottle, so here goes! As soon as I started pouring this into a mug it was nothing but skunk and dank pot. The area around me smells like bedroom in college. Taste is really sweet and grainy. Really wasn't expecting it to be this sweet, but it is with lots of grainy flavors, slightly floral, and no real hoppiness. It's actually not awful, but not really good either. Hard to get past the skunky aroma though, so I try not to smell it as I drink it. Mouthfeel is like a light lager. Meh... I haven't had an N/A beer in probably 10 years or more, and this really isn't enjoyable largely because there's no alcohol in it (well, a negligible amount) and it really detracts from the flavor. Beer really does need to have sort of alcohol qualities to give it it some more flavor... But anyways, not need to contemplate it this much. It's a beer, and skunky, sweet, grainy one at that. Not good but not horrific.

2.13/5  rDev -12%

There's no confusion or mistake, this is a skunk monster from the second you pop the cap. Maybe it is a skunk-resemblance monster, but it is there. For goodness' sake, drink it straight from the bottle and avoid nosing this beer.

Pours nice pale golden with white frothy head. Good appearance. Tastes chalky-malty, light flavored, light bodied, with decent carbonation. Finishes corn sugary sweet.

Oh god, the nose... it is unyielding.

2.23/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice a nice one-finger white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy/ricy, slightly malty. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy, little malt note. Light Body. Not too bad, but still a shitty beer.

St. Pauli N. A. from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.