St. Pauli N. A.
St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

St. Pauli N. A.St. Pauli N. A.
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Score:
Ranked #47,655
2.3 | pDev: 34.78%
From:
St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

Germany
Avail:
Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Awful
St. Pauli N. A.St. Pauli N. A.
Notes:
Reviews: 80 | Ratings: 155

St. Pauli Girl's NA is the "gold standard" by which I measure all other NAs. Though I am not such a connoisseur as to typically rate the "look" or "feel" of a beer, there is nothing I love more than the skunky smell of a good German beer--and nobody does it better than St. Pauli Girl! This is the beer that never lets me down, that never fails to elicit waves of joy upon sight, smell, taste, and after-effect.
Though as an alcohol drinker I became a devoté of Guinness Stout and the bitters, pilsners, and "black and tans" of the British pubs, I have always loved and preferred the smell of a good skunky beer like Heineken, Beck's, and St. Pauli Girl. The effect of those smells are Pavlovian as my earliest exposure to beers were in the company of my grandfather and great grandfather who were true devotés to all-things German--including their beers.
I look forward, through this site, to exploring NA beers as-yet unfamiliar to me. I am open to suggestions but be forewarned: I am VERY biased toward my skunky beer!

3.46/5  rDev +50.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Minor froth and pale for a lager, what is lacking in first impression is compensated for in taste and a crisp, refreshing finish. For non-alcoholic, I don't think there are many that come close. It's actually much better than a lot of regular beers. Think spring or summer, then grab a St. Paul NA to feel refresh without getting wasted.

4.81/5  rDev +109.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is the most real beer tasting na beer I've had, I know one thing the Germans know how to make beer and they make a great na beer too , I poured it into a plisner glass from a 12oz bottle has a golden color,and about a2 inch foamy white head, tastes like a real st pauli girl , so you haters gonna hate, but it's a really good beer

3.36/5  rDev +46.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a straw color with a slight foggy tint to it. Head formation is around a finger in height and stark white in color. Aroma is dank hops, pilsner malts, and straw. Flavor profile is more pilsner malts with a straw taste in the background. Dank hops come in about midway through, with the finish of the beer being rather yeasty and clean. Mouth feel is medium-thin with a velvety, crisp feel. Overall, notes of beer, but without the alcohol. It drinks with some presence despite being a non alcohol lager.

Served in a 12oz snifter from a 12oz bottle.

1.9/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a very clear very light golden color. White head. Somewhat frothy. Retention is actually good.
The nose is quite skunky. Somewhat outputting.
Taste - skunky tasting. There's an artificial flavor to this almost. I do get a slight malt, but the skunk really is strong.
Watery! And the skunk does linger, which is outputting.
I got this for the tick. Would never drink otherwise. Just bad.

2.04/5  rDev -11.3%

I do not like fruity beer. If you do, you may strongly disagree with me on this review. But as somebody who does not like alcoholic fruity beer, this one has shown me I don't like fruity non-alcoholic beer as well.

Look:
Like weak beer.

Smell:
Like oranges. Actually smells pretty great.

Taste:
Way too sweet. I didn't even finish the bottle.

Feel:
Not sure, the taste was too overwhelming.

Overall:
If you like fruity beer, maybe give this one a try. If not, steer clear. It's like fruity beer, but worse.

3.53/5  rDev +53.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle into lager glass, best before 7/2018. Pours crystal clear medium golden yellow color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of cracker, white bread dough, toasted biscuit, light honey, pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Good aromas with bready malts and light-moderate earthy hop notes; with good strength. Taste of cracker, white bread dough, toasted biscuit, light honey, pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, white bread dough, toasted biscuit, light honey, pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Bit of cardboard from the NA process in aromas/flavors, but not overwhelming. Nice robustness and balance of bready malts and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; with a nice malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Very clean on lager flavors, with zero yeast notes present. Light-moderate increasing dryness from lingering bitterness. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, bready/grainy/sticky, and fairly crisp balanced mouthfeel that is good. A bit rough, but easy drinking. Overall this is a pretty good NA pale lager. All around good robustness and balance of bready malts and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; smooth, crisp, and easy to drink. Very flavorful and not watery. Tastes very similar to the other NA beers I've had before. I've gotten used to the flavor, so if you can get past the cardboard thing they all have, they are enjoyable.

2.93/5  rDev +27.4%

Pours pale golden with a lasting creamy white head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is mild - some floral notes and some light grain.

The taste is metallic. Some unfermented grain is there.

Despite the rough metallic notes, it is smooth. Carbonation level is just about right for it. Not too watery for the style.

Drinkable to a point despite the harsh lingering metal character. (I much preferred the Kaliber I recently had over this one - it's just too metallic.)

2.22/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

A mixture of seltzer water and beer from the appearance, doesn't hold a head. Aroma gave off a slight skunk edge that wasn't bothersome, just like the regular version of this stuff.

Taste same vibe, skunk, but not much else discernable. A little sweet for some reason unlike the regular. Still gets hot alcohol feels when it warms. Pass.

3.97/5  rDev +72.6%

Looks yellow and clear, with decent head of foam. Average
Smells grassy and vegetal with faint hop aromas as well. Slightly above average
Tastes like beer. Seriously. Euro lager flavor of sweet malt and bitter hops. Well above average
Feels like beer too. Medium bodied, crisp carbonation and waaay better then most near beers. Fantastic!
Overall this is probably as good as it gets for beers of the NA variety. Nice to unwind with a few after work, and its "fancy" enough to bring to gatherings as well.

2.66/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

More than twenty years ago I gave up drinking alcohol for a time because my wife at the time thought I drank too much. She's now my ex-wife, but that's another story.
I remember drinking a lot of low-alcohol beers, and enjoyed this one the most. I thought I'd revisit it after all these years.
In a pint glass it was a pale gold with a small white head.
No real aroma or taste. Kind of skunky.
Light bodied, like drinking faintly flavored water.
What was I thinking back then?

2.42/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

In the true spirit of green bottle beer, it was more further down the line of the NAs I've tried. While it's definitely the most full of something that I've tasted, It wasn't my kind of taste. Pours really nicely, pale and tall. Decent lacing etc. However, the smell is what put me off. It's skunky smell is akin to others like it, and if you're a fan of that kind of beer, this would be alright for you. Taste can be slightly metallic at times, but overall a decently strong sweet and then bitter punch. Overall, not horrible.

2.25/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A-Pours a straw color with a slight head and lacing
A-Aroma has slight malt hints
T-The taste follows the nose with a slight malt flavor
M-A light bodied well carbonated beer
O-A decent beer

2.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

So I'm at a wedding with an open bar and it's B/M/C macros, Amstel or St. Pauli Girl. Frankly, I thought I was getting the regular "St Pauli" lager when I ordered it. I was surprised to see the "NA" on the bottle, but thought it would be great with dinner. The taste was reminiscent of the old (imported) Beck's and immediately took me back. Not much to write about--perhaps a tad sweeter than the Beck's or St. Pauli I remember; but it was fun to enjoy a whole bottle (and then another) with dinner without a hint of a buzz. When dancing started, however, it made heading back to the bar for a "real" drink a priority.

3.35/5  rDev +45.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I got around to trying this one, since my wife is expecting and she drinks these to satisfy her beer cravings. Of all the NA beers I've had this one is among the best. Brewed in Bremen, Germany, it's got a flavor/smell very similar to beck's. Lots of 'green bottle' beer flavors going on - slightly skunky like a Heineken or bitburger. Refreshing on a hot summer day. I could drink a 12-pack!

2.89/5  rDev +25.7%

On tap in Vail, CO.

A-The beer is very, very pale. The one-inch head of white foam has pretty good retention and leaves fine lacing on the glass as I drink. Carbonation is pretty active and visible in the clear liquid. Decent looking stuff.

S-Not much happening on the nose (as you might expect). I sniff some floral notes, a bit of grain, some dried bread (that reminds me of a pilsner), and a bit of cooked corn. I have smelled worse beers.

T-The taste is pretty heavy on the cooked corn flavor. There is a little bit of floral character and some dry, cracker/white bread flavors too, but the mushy veggie taste is strong here.

M-The beer is light to medium in heft with a moderate to higher level of carbonation. Drinkable.

O-This obviously does not hold a candle to real beers with alcohol, but scored to style St. Pauli NA compares OK to other NA beers. If you need a malt beverage but don't want to the alcohol, this fits the bill as well as most NA alternatives.

3.93/5  rDev +70.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It's an NA beer, so I rated it in comparison to what I expect from an NA beer.

Has a slightly deep golden color.

Skunky smell which I like.

Tastes more like beer than most NA's. Despite a slight metallic taste in spots, it actually has a good overall taste.

Has a light feel but thicker than its competitors.

Overall a good NA beer. A little expensive for what it is though.

1.5/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a mug. Skunky flat tasting had ok color but if that is the best that I can come up with, you might want to pass on this brew.

2.74/5  rDev +19.1%

Got one for free for being a designated driver and this was my first NA beer. The appearance was a pale yellow and the smell was mostly rice. Good amount of carbonation though. The taste was mostly rice with some hints of malt although it had a bit of a metallic twinge to it near the end. The mouthfeel was average, but overall it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be.

2.65/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours to a generous head that persists. Color is pale straw. Aroma is skunky and rubbery to the point I almost gave up. There are some nice wort-like malt and noble hop aromas in there once the skunk dissipates in the nasal passages. Unlike most green bottle beers the skunk aroma does not decrease much over time. Flavor is pretty good with some sticky pale malt and noble hop flavors to make it enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light, slightly wort-y and not as rough as other NAs. Overall, good as NAs go but the mercaptans in the nose nearly killed the deal.

2.41/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

St. Pauli NA is a way better beer than O'Douls . way better taste way better smell. I would prefer a heavy beer but they don't make NA stout beers but the most beer that is close to a stout is Kaliber which is made by Guinness also there is Malta which is supposed be a good beer.

1.61/5  rDev -30%

Appearance - good clarity to the straw color. Nice finger of sticky white foamage. Good lacing, too.

Aroma - extremely skunky. DGB on the scene. Yuck. That does dissipate some, allowing some strong veggie character through. Good enough to get off the schneid, but just barely.

Taste - sweet and vegetal. It's a good thing I'm thirsty or this would be an instant DP. Like a pils with no saaz, they could have at least amped that part up. Almost a salty taste as I bang the last half down with prejudice due to misconduct on the part of this beer. The aftertaste is a punishing mix of shallow sweetness, bubbles, and veggies.

Mouthfeel - slickish, good carbonation at least makes for some fizz. Body is light enough to have a reasonably refreshing feel.

Overall - no thank you, I shall pass.

3.38/5  rDev +47%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a few shades yellower than water, crystal clear, with a huge soft, dense, bright white head that stuck around for a long while before fading into a very rocky and thick film that left sticky rocky lace. Very impressive actually.
S: Strong notes of dry grains pretty much dominate. Sweet notes of honey and wort-like malt extract poke through as well. Smells like beer while its still wort in the kettle, in a good way.
T: More sweet honey tastes mixed with cracked grains and biscuity yeast. The finish is sweet and wort-like and the aftertaste is drying with flavors of bready wheat and oats.
M: Medium-light body, soft fuzzy carbonation, slick, chew mouthfeel.
O: As far as pale lagers go this is better than some of the alcoholic ones. A bit to sweet for me to love though, but I actually wouldn't mind drinking this again.

3.55/5  rDev +54.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a centimeter thick, creamy white head that dissipates quickly leaving a very nice lacing.

Smell - Has a very nice skunk aroma with butter, malts, and bread.

Taste - Identical to the aroma without the skunk. The sweetness of it is a little strong and tastes weird.. I can't really describe it. It kind of reminds me of that flavor gluten-free beers have.. Which I think is sorghum

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - I'm not so impressed by this N/A beer compared to the others I've tried.

3.21/5  rDev +39.6%

Clear gold with two fingers of 5 minute white head. Rings of lacing.
Smell is skunk and grains.
Taste is sweet malts with a touch of bitter hops coming in late.
Mouthfeel is average carbonation and thin bodied.
Overall a passable beer for the style. Seems quite a bit sweeter than their regular beer.
Best by 0913.

St. Pauli N. A. from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.
Beer rating: 56 out of 100 with 155 ratings