St. Pauli N. A. | St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

poor
awful
Read the review
St. Pauli N. A.St. Pauli N. A.

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.
Germany
stpauligirl.com

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-05-2001

Reviews: 72 | Ratings: 137
Reviews by HopHeadKen:
2.67/5  rDev +10.3%

This was given to me by a co-worker who purchased it by accident.
He said he did not notice it was N.A. !

I know that it is going to be tough to be objective with a NA beer review because I have a preconceived idea of what I am looking for. I Homebrew and love IPA's and Stouts. I like ESB's, Dopplebock and most Belgians; this is none of those. I don't drink much light lager; and have rarely had an NA (but probably should have on some nights)

Light yellow and clear with thin white head.

I could smell the hops as soon as the caps came off the bottle.
This is that German Light Lager / Heinekin hops smell.
Guessing it is Saaz, but I don't brew with it so am not sure.

Taste is sweet, flat, malt, almost a sugar water taste.
It has flavor. The taste is NOT thin or watery.

Mouthfeel is flat, un-sensational, this is where I miss the alcohol.

I would drink it again if someone else were buying the beer, or I had to drive home and there were few other choices. I would probably pick it over Bud Light it those were only two choices.

1.5/5  rDev -38%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a mug. Skunky flat tasting had ok color but if that is the best that I can come up with, you might want to pass on this brew.

2.66/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

More than twenty years ago I gave up drinking alcohol for a time because my wife at the time thought I drank too much. She's now my ex-wife, but that's another story.
I remember drinking a lot of low-alcohol beers, and enjoyed this one the most. I thought I'd revisit it after all these years.
In a pint glass it was a pale gold with a small white head.
No real aroma or taste. Kind of skunky.
Light bodied, like drinking faintly flavored water.
What was I thinking back then?

1.32/5  rDev -45.5%

I actually had an allergic reaction to this beer.

2.31/5  rDev -4.5%

Presentation: 12oz green bottle with a foil neck. Definitely distinguishes itself as being a "malt beverage" ... no sign of "beer" here. Best before on the back label.

Appearance: Extremely pale and clear yellow. Lace is thin, patchy, with large bubble clusters along the sides.

Smell: Very floral in the nose, but more like a fake floral aroma (perhaps from the use of a hop oil extract) with light grain notes. Some may mistake this as a skunky aroma.

Taste: Very smooth with a moderate carbonation, sweet though a little starchy with a bitter hop oil flavour that seem extract like. Odd metalic and even steely flavour underneath that goes astringent further into the finish with the bitter hop oil.

Notes: Coarse on the palate, too much hop and not crisp enough. Tastes similar to unfermented beer. There are better non-alcoholic brews out there for sure. Less than 0.5% abv.

1.55/5  rDev -36%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Weak ass appearance, looks like mineral water. Aroma, a degree of enjoyable funkiness.

A sweet, funky taste, I guess better than average for style, but I don't grade too much for style, I grade for enjoyable beer. This one is not. I think to make a beer NA, they must have a flavor and hop filter machine.

Unfortunately, the sweetness doesn't seem to be from natural sugar, yeast or fermentation, but saccharin or something. What cracks me up is that it seems like it has the heat of a high ABV beer. Strange.

1.25/5  rDev -48.3%

1.75/5  rDev -27.7%

1.3/5  rDev -46.3%

I'm going to say right up front, I usually don't touch non-alcoholic beers for drinking. O'douls, however, has fairly recently found its place in my fridge, simply because it does that job whenever I want to cook with beer, and don't want to part with anything I'd rather drink.

But there is nothing beer about this whatsoever. It leaves a harsh, lingering, biting taste not unlike licking a 9-volt battery. Finishing the bottle was almost agonizing. I see no reason why anyone should buy this "malt beverage," ever.

2.25/5  rDev -7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

1.82/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

1.86/5  rDev -23.1%

Dammit man. I train for a Marathon and go dry for a month, but figured some NA Beer would get me done. This stuff had some maltyness to it, but it smelled and tasted like day old ass. I'm sorry. I tried it at a restaurant in the Houston airport, and again in an Orlando restaurant. Both times it was horrible and I had to force it down.

2.61/5  rDev +7.9%

Not a bad beer for it's style, quite drinkable, passable for a night when I needed to drive and stay out late and not drink water or something sugary. Some satisfction. OK in all the categories although not to good an aroma. Mellow, but also a half year past due from Premiere Gourmet.

2.75/5  rDev +13.6%

1.66/5  rDev -31.4%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale golden yellow color with an off-white head with pretty decent lacing and retention.

S- The aroma is very light faint grains with a hint of grassy hops. Slightly better than expected.

T- The taste is light grain with a sugary sweetness in the middle and a touch of bitterness in the finish from the hops. It wouldn't be half bad if it wasn't for the sweetness. To me is tastes like they added a packet or two of Splenda into the beer.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I would avoid drinking this one again. The taste is downright terrible.

2.67/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

1.13/5  rDev -53.3%

Bottle poured into champagne glass at a "garden party" where there were no good beer options so I figured I'd see how bad this could be. How bad was it? Pretty awful.

A - Odd yellowish color with pretty much no head. Not appealing. Looks like apple juice contaminated with radioactive waste.

S - Brutally offensive grainy adjunk with a hint of skunk.

T - Adjunk, corn, diacetyl, skunky noble hops, and water, balanced (poorly if I mad add) by an unpleasantly sweet Equal sweetener flavor.

M - Flat and light, with some astringency.

D - Well, considering how watery it is, it should be drinkable, but it somehow fails at this too. After a few sips, I just couldn't bring myself to choke the rest down. Ground pour. Switched to iced tea since I couldn't stand to take another taste of crappy "beer."

2.65/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours to a generous head that persists. Color is pale straw. Aroma is skunky and rubbery to the point I almost gave up. There are some nice wort-like malt and noble hop aromas in there once the skunk dissipates in the nasal passages. Unlike most green bottle beers the skunk aroma does not decrease much over time. Flavor is pretty good with some sticky pale malt and noble hop flavors to make it enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light, slightly wort-y and not as rough as other NAs. Overall, good as NAs go but the mercaptans in the nose nearly killed the deal.

2.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from a green 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very skunky, could be the dreaded green bottle. Taste also has some skunk to it, somewhat sweet, lots of grains. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I wouldn't go out of my to find this one.

2.06/5  rDev -14.9%

From a 12 fl. oz. bottle marked 10.2009/L29889B. The pour is a thing pale yellow with a foamy, puffy, choppy white head. The aroma is atypical N-A malts. The texture is watery. Overall it tastes rather flat and stale like unsweetened malts. What do you want for an N-A?

2.75/5  rDev +13.6%

St. Pauli N. A. from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.