5 Year Anniversary Persimmon Sour | Bayou Teche Brewery

bayoutechebrewing.com

Style: Berliner Weisse

Added by Brevbin on 02-01-2015

1.23/5  rDev -47.2%

Once this atrocity pours into a glass, it actually looks fine. This is until your nostrils are infiltrated by a combination of barf and swiss cheese and mayo that have been left to rot in the sun for about 3 years. Taste the same and I'm pretty shocked Bayou Teche allowed this to be bottled and put on a shelf, for $9+ per bomber nonetheless. Worst anniversary ever.

3.5/5  rDev +50.2%

1.52/5  rDev -34.8%

This was awful. Cheesy, hot garbage taste and an awful aftertaste of something horrible. I love this brewery, but something went wrong here.

3.48/5  rDev +49.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Fantastic berliner weisse with floral and grape notes.

1.91/5  rDev -18%

3.12/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer tasted fine. The problem was getting through the god-awful nose of well-aged cheese to get there. If you're absolutely unable to smell, try this.

3.02/5  rDev +29.6%

Saw a lot of negative reviews but found this an interesting twist on a berlinerweisse. Runs between a traditional sour and strong oils.

1.18/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I could barely get past the distinct smell of vomit. The taste wasn't much different. As a sour, it was bland and flat. This must be a prank.

2.22/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

2.02/5  rDev -13.3%

1.43/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Something went wrong here. This should not have been bottled. I almost wish I had my money back. Sad because I like literally every other beer they make. This won't deter me from buying future Bayou Teche, I guess I'm just a huge fan and was let down. The reviews below are accurate. With that said, my dad is still drinking his share of the bottle.

1.03/5  rDev -55.8%

Persimmon Sour is the clear, absolute worst beer I've ever had in my life. It's actually the worst thing I've ever had, food or beverage. Liquid, rotten garbage.

How did they not test multiple bottles before they hit distribution? Especially for a special release like your 5 year Anniversary? The lactobacillus here is doing horrid, infectious things to a base Berliner Weisse that seems to lack any integrity to begin with. Heavy off flavors of: DMS, isovaleric acid and butyric acid. The fruit was also not treated well and could be a contributing culprit.

The thing is, they got the label almost right: smells like that Opossum rummaging through garbage, but only if that Opossum died in the process.

Here's what I'm getting. Nose is immediately copious vomit then waves of hot garbage, Bogalusa Louisiana, prank stink bombs, decomposing animal carcasses, spoiled yogurt or ranch dressing, farts, sweaty feet, moldy fruit, a festering sewer, rotten Stilton cheese and rotten butter.

Can you believe what I'm about to say next? I actually tasted it, twice! And that decision is a regrettable one. Tasted like a liquid landfill.

A few hours before trying the Persimmon Sour, I had Bayou Teche Saison D’Écrevisses with some boiled crawfish that paired well and was sessionable. After the Persimmon Sour I was lucky to have a Bayou Teche Coteau Rodaire near by to rinse my mouth out from the residual vomit. No, not only vomit-like flavors but real, actual vomit. I literally threw up after tasting the Persimmon Sour; the first time that has ever happened after trying any beer for the first time. The worst beer experience of my life.

3.96/5  rDev +70%

1.03/5  rDev -55.8%

Worst smelling beer I've ever encountered. I don't review beer, but I couldn't let this slide. Worst beer I've ever come across. It's worse than Billy's Chilies, which was basically liquid nachos. Wow. Truly, truly awful.

1.28/5  rDev -45.1%

Tried on tap at the brewery. Smell is overwhelming hot garbage and vomit, distinctive of butyric acid produced from the quick sour method they used that got out of hand.
If you can block out the garbage in the taste and smell you get a medium sourness, lemons, grain, with a little note of the persimmons they used.
Overall, I can't get past the smell as it is an obvious mistake that was not intended. Had to basically hold my nose to finish half a pint that was split with someone.
I can't believe that this was released.

3.69/5  rDev +58.4%

3.4/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

5 Year Anniversary Persimmon Sour from Bayou Teche Brewery