LA-31 Acadie | Bayou Teche Brewery

bayoutechebrewing.com

Style: Bière de Garde

Added by EgadBananas on 09-02-2012

4.58/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had sampled the other brews made by this local brewer, but found them a bit too strong for my tastes; I could tell that this was a good microbrewer, but until this one, I had not found one to put into my rotation. This Acadie works for me. Being an ethnic Cajun mutt (LOL), I am always interested in supporting my people, and with this brew I can give a full-throated recommendation to a brewer in "my tribe".

The stated theme of this brew seems to be that is the style of beer that a poor Cajun farmer would brew at home, which for myself being only 2 generations removed from francophone subsistence farmers was an appealing backstory. However, being a well-traveled man who has suffered from the dearth of good French beer (thank you Belgium for giving the French good beer!) while visiting France, I was a bit apprehensive., especially as I did not find the other brews by this brewer to be my type. Fortunately I decided to give it its proper 6-pack audition (tastition?), and was VERY pleasantly surprised.

I suppose that the general style is that of a bock (which next to witbeer is arguably my favorite style), but with a bit more hop action going on, with a great palette of little tastes going on. (If there is one thing that I have not found so interesting with Bayou Teche's other brews, it was that the hops were just too overpowering for my taste.) The net effect is a very satisfying beer that I could see being somewhat sessionable. The bottom line is that this one works for me, so if there is anyone out there who has found Bayou Teche's other offerings to be a bit too strong, this one might well hit the spot.

I think I shall session this when watching LSU football on a Saturday night.

4.56/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

Bayou Teche Biere Acadie has a thick, creamy, cream-colored head and a clear, bubbly, amber appearance, with a nice amount of lacing left on the chalice. The aroma is of sugary, fruity, buttery smells, and the taste is the same, with a nice hop note to round it out. The mouthfeel is light and fairly watery, and Bayou Teche Biere Acadie finishes refreshing, wet, and very drinkable. I rate this most excellent.

RJT

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

4.3/5  rDev +25.4%

4.18/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this style of beer (Bière de Garde) and I think Bayou Teche really hits the mark on Acadie. I tend to pour it and let it sit several minutes before drinking it. The flavor pops as the beer warms. It has a fairly dry ending. Not bitter but not sweet. It's a great beer with crawfish. One of my favorites from Louisiana.

4.17/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L: A light amber coloring, with one finger head

S: Toasted malts, some sweet caramel notes, slight breadiness.

T: A fine tasting, crisp toasted malt flavor that finishes with a nice tart sweet finish.

F: Good caerbonation, good body, full flavor

O: I really enjoyed this beer. I don't understand why all the negative reviews. The biggest fault I could find was that they marketed it as a "Farmhouse ale" or a "Biere de Garde" but it really should be marketed as an Amber ale. There was no indication to me of wild yeast, bretty flavor, or that funk that you'd expect in a "farmhouse ale". I enjoyed this beer a lot and agree that it would pair nicely with Cajun cooking, a nice sweet break from the spices found in those dishes.

4.15/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Really surprised by this one. Nice creamy white head and deep orange hue. Aroma is of pears, cherry, and toasted malt. Taste follows the nose with an opening of pears, and passion fruit. Middle is a huge toasted bready malt. Ends crisp.

4.13/5  rDev +20.4%

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours to a rich off white head and copper brown color. Aroma is toasty, biscuits and chocolate malt. Some spicy hops in aroma as well. Flavor is rich and complex with bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, toast, cookies, alcohol and a spicy hop zing. Mouthfeel is light medium. Overall very tasty and technically clean.

3.9/5  rDev +13.7%

12oz Brown bottle with pry-off cap and best by date of "11/03/2014". Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, deep copper with 1 finger of head

Smell: toffee malts and some plum notes

Taste: the toffee malt notes come up front with a bitter middle that leads into a finish with some lingering bread notes; i get a little plum and raisin

Mouthfeel: Medium and crisp

Overall: A good, mid-bodied Biere de Garde. This finishes lighter and more crisp than others of this style.

3.88/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev +9.6%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Really enjoyable. Pours a clear light amber color with high carbonation. Filled with tropical fruits and apples. Maybe not the truest to the style but certainly one I would revisit.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap 10/12/2014 at Doherty’s Ale East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a tapered pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep coppery brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized malts, fruit, Belgian yeast and touches of spice and hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of caramel, dark fruit and some spice. Then some breadiness comes in from a hearty malt character and some Belgian yeast. The hops presence is very mild but complementary and brings a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, this is a decent beer to drink for a while if you’re in the mood for the style.

LA-31 Acadie from Bayou Teche Brewery