Oyster Stout | The Porterhouse Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Oyster StoutOyster Stout

The Porterhouse Brewing Company
Ireland
porterhousebrewco.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by Todd on 08-29-2002

A truly remarkable beer. The oyster presense is not fishy but a bit salty like a true oyster. There is a slight hint of oyster, so much that a non oyster eater would still enjoy the beer. Had this on cast which makes it even better. On a hot day the briney oyster made this just the right beer. The cask was cold for most casks which appeased me on a hot day. The stout minus the oyster is also excellent. In fact, the stout minus the oyster would blow a Guinness away because it is not nearly as off-putting bitter and had great malty chocolate coffee. Put this on your to-do list if you haven't already.

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Loved this better than the Guinness. Tastier! Drinking at Porterhouse central with ribs and wings.

4.74/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle purchased in Mullingar Ireland. Cute pull ring cap. Head quickly disappeared but some residual lacing. Definitely a taste of salt. Not as bitter as some stouts but not as much oyster as I expected. Certainly worth trying if you see it.

4.67/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of the smoothest beers uve ever has. Thick and creamy and goes Down easy too.

4.62/5  rDev +25.5%

I've drunk beer while eating oysters, but nothing with oyster brewed into it!
This Stout is delicious. Rich Creamy head, smooth taste, dark bodied. There is an actual feeling of sea breeze or something indefinable but nice about the scent. i am certainly going to order myself more of this one!

4.59/5  rDev +24.7%

On-tap pint at Beachwood BBQ, my first true Oyster stout, this is definitely not Kosher,

A: Pours a dark mahogany with a fizzy off-white head, fair retention, muddled look. Not the best looking stout in the world, but I don't care with how good it tastes.

S: Dark roasted malt, hint of fruit/cherries.

T: The dark malt is great here, but the oysters are adding another dimension. There's a hard to define fruity character with a bit of saltiness. Great bittersweet ~ 60% cacao chocolate. Incredibly tasty and not heavy at all.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, very easy drinking.

D: My favourite of the day at Beachwood. This is delicious complex stout. Very tasty, this place is a must visit if I'm ever in Dublintown. Get a pint and go back to the 1800s with this beer. Probably as close as you can get to a stout from Joyce's day.

4.57/5  rDev +24.2%

Appearance:

Pitch black with quarter inch tan head.

Smell:

Sweet roasted malt, and a hint of salt.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

The smoothest stout I've ever sampled. Absolutely astounding. Not much taste of the sea, but a pleasant sweetness that changes into a nice bitter finish.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

As far as a stout goes, the body might appear a bit thin. It's more of a ruby-mahogany color in the corners of the pint glass rather than an opaque black. The head, though, poured from a nitro tap, is a magnificantly thick and tenacious one.

Smell is crisp, malty, with a bit of charcoal. Taste is smooth and malty. A nice dry Irish stout. Then at the end you get a hint of saltiness. Don't be spooked by the name. No slimy oyster bodies are going to pour out of the bottle or tap; it just gives an interesting finish to the beer. And a finish that I like!

This beer is a drinker. And with the reasonably low ABV you can certainly put a few away. It's a winner, although a bit pricey.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Overall an impressive beer and seemed true to style. While not in the least an Oyster Stout afficianado, I greatly enjoyed this beer and give it high marks. Slightly on the hoppier end from my taste buds but the mineral qualities seemed right on cue for this style. Will buy again anytime I am in the mood for a saltier sort of beer with good malt and hop qualities. Thanks Ireland and Porterhouse!

4.53/5  rDev +23.1%

From a 330 ml bottle. This is the first time I've seen this in Orange County. On to the beer:

Into my Guinness pint glass, the beer is dark ruby brown in color with ruby red hues. The light density of the head means more of it, and lots of lacing, along with its head being long lasting. There's unsweetened chcolate in the nose with a very light roast to it. There's somehting else, oysters? It smells more like mint to me.

The flavor isn't complex, but the quality of it is. It tastes like a semi-sweet chocolate mint drink. Again, why am I tasting mint? I must be mistaken it for something else. Overall very appealing to say the least, and not burnt like other dry stouts. The beer is light bodied, and the carbonation doesn't get it the way.

Much different from any Irish stout I've tasted. It may also be the best I've tasted out of Ireland. Outstanding!

4.52/5  rDev +22.8%

ABV on this bottle is 5.2%.

Body is black, but very dark brown if you hold it up to the light. Has a substantial, greyish (must be the oysters) tan head, that lasts awhile, dissipating to a fine layer yet leaving some fine lacing on the glass.

Aromas of sweet dark malt, chocolate, some fruit. Some salty ocean freshness.

Taste is crisp and fine, very well balance of mildly sweet malt and acid. Some chocolate and dark fruit, I'm tasting cherries or maybe ripe blueberries. There really are some oysters in it too, but if it really tasted strongly of oysters I mightn't like it. There is a little metallic/mineral tanginess. Finishes dry, chocolaty, and somewhat hoppy.

Body is light and the carbonation makes it effervescent, giving it a very refreshing mouthfeel.

This is a very nice stout, with a lot of interesting flavors, and the ABV is low enough, one could drink several in a session. Should be quite nice with fresh oysters, but with the acidity, it can be paired well with some hearty Irish food, such as a shepherd's pie, or a smoked salmon boxty, as well as a bunch of other Irish dishes. I am liking it, but then I'm half Irish.

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

The last time, and also the first time, I tried Oyster Stout, I was a touch disappointed, but that was most likely because I had heard many a soul rant and rave about how this was the best beer ever produced in the history of humanity, and nothing could ever have lived up to the expectations I had allowed to develop in advance of my trip to Dublin in 2008, so I was looking forward to reacquainting myself with the Oyster Stout. Again the actual beer was a deep ruby red, although the head was rockier than the Wrasslers. The usual stout aromas abounded, chocolate and coffee front and centre, but there was something else, lurking in the background, something I couldn't place. The only thing I could think of was that it had a touch of the sea about it, somewhat akin to the Islay whiskies, perhaps that was pure suggestion, but there we go. As far as drinking goes, this is lighter than the Wrasslers, but full of flavour and with a long bitter finish, simply put it is great drinking and beats the stuff on nitro in Dublin.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.2-oz. bottle into my Terrapin pint glass.

Appearance: Very, very dark red, almost black, with a two-finger tan head at pouring. Head subsides but retains well, with great lacing.

Smell: Dark, roasted malts and something peculiar, which must be the oysters. It's very appealing.

Taste: Very nice! Basically, take my description for the smell and apply it to the taste. I'm not a fan of seafood, so I didn't expect to like this much, but I'll be damned if it isn't impressing me mightily.

Mouthfeel: Decently full, but a tad watery. Nice carbonation, though.

Drinkability: Unexpectedly high. It's hard to stop myself from just gulping this down!

This is the first oyster stout I've ever had, and based on this beer, I hope it won't be the last.

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%

Tasted this one in the Porterhouse in Dublin while on holiday there.
A thick black beer in the glass with a traditional creamy head. Smells were of the roasted variety as with many creamy stouts.
Not put off by the description of oysters in the brewing, after all Guinness and oysters are supposed to be a great combination so this would appear to be a logical extension really...
The tastes were all you'd expect from a creamy smooth stout, some licorice and coffee, perhaps burnt caramel. I think not as roasted as a Guinness but so smooth and creamy and full of body. I personally, and Irish readers don't hate me here, rate this above Guinness. I had them in Dublin, from the source, within a few days of each other and as good as Guinness in Ireland is, I loved this stout even more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent stout with the oyster in it giving just a faintly noticeable, and very pleasant subtle sea-like/shellfish hint.

Basically black but with some light coming through, it has a very big tan head steadily shrinking to a rocky, foamy top and some frothy lace. Overall, it's very nice looking.

Aroma is caramelised sweet brown bread, prunes, raisins, hint of molasses, faint hint of the sea and shellfish. It is firm and characterful, very nice with slight uniqueness.

Taste is more mild than aroma, dryer, with lightly sweet-sour fruit (turned figs), up front and gentle darkly roasted barley and dark toast following, with a light sea/shellfish twang hint in the finish and aftertaste. It has light woody-roasty bitterness and bite at the finish, very gentle, with nice subtle complexity. Drinkability is high and the feel is firm, not watery or oily.

Oyster Stout from The Porterhouse Brewing Company