Abandon Brew | Gilgamesh Brewing

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.31/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Clear red orange with one finger of quickly departing head. No lace.
Smell is rich malts and cranberries.
Taste is cranberries and sweet rich malts. A little bit boozy but not bad. This bottle lists the abv as 10.5%
Mouthfeel is full with good carbonation. Finish is dry and slightly puckering.
Overall a unique and tasty ale. Reminds me of a cranberry port wine but on the lighter side. I think quite a few wine drinkers would enjoy this around a holiday meal.

1694th Review on BA
Bottle to Woodshop snifter

Thanks for sharing Vince

App- A glowing orange with deep yellows and golds and mixed with a slight brown tinge. The beer is flat. No bubbles and no cling. Denser center, lighter edges.

Smell- There was a lot of booze in the nose on this. Phenols and lemons. Lost a ton of the peppery, yeast and banana of a good saison. The cranberry tart is there but seemed an afterthought.

Taste- This just wasn't very good. Missing a lot of flavors to call a saison. The cranberries added a tartness and wasn't sure the abv really needed to be 13%. The saison lacked balance of wheat/pepper and was instead fairly oxidized even as waxed.

Mouth- A thicker medium body and a thicker medium carbonation. Cranberries and butter are the residual flavors.

Drink- This was just average. Nothing more, nothing less.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Update on 1/27/2017

Got this on a whim as the idea of a strong saison made with cranberries really appealed to me. First few sips it seemed a little crazy and disjointed, so I thought I'd cruise over to BA and see what the brethern think. And see I had this almost 5 years ago! The fact that I didn't remember I think underscores the authenticity of my last review. In contrast, they seemed to have really amped it up across the board. In spite of the fruit and the port barrel, I'm really getting banana ester bomb. It's more like a big tripel than saison base by that dominating flavor, which makes it kind of heavy; it could use some minerality to dry it out. Maybe it's the port, I don't recall what kind of barrel it was in before. Anyways, no change to the score, it's a different beer than it was 5 years ago, a little rich for my blood, but definitely a lot of depth and interest.

1st review - 7/20/2012

Whoa, a 13% saison made with my favorite fruit, cranberries? Must try! Than I see the fancy packaging, wax sealed with a G stamp. OK, how is it?

Appearance is murky ruddy light brown with no foam or lace.

Smell is sweet, fruity and alcohol. Waxy phenols.

Taste is not nearly as sweet, fruity or sour as I expected. Nicely integrated. For the heft, all the more impressive. I'm disappointed by the lack of depth, as impressed as I am about it not being too much, I also wish there was more.

Mouthfeel is light, slick.

Drinkability is surprisingly high. I thought this would be a big strong fruit bomb, like devil's kriek x 2, but it's really clean and smooth, dangerously strong. I'm shocked at how strong they claim it is. Impressed on one hand, the execution here is impressive, but the design is a little too conservative.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%