Battenkill Ale | Northshire Brewery

Battenkill AleBattenkill Ale

Northshire Brewery
Vermont, United States

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Whether you are doing a little fly fishing here on the Battenkill or watching your favorite team on the tube this ale will be the one to have. A little brown in color but not dark in taste, with subtle hints of coffee. This ale will become a favorite after the first taste.

Added by alpinebryant on 10-14-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 34
Reviews by nebula1999:

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

3.76/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 22 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on June 30, 2013.

It is attractive looking with its medium to dark amber pour with ruby red highlights around the edges and a lingering off-white head on top.

The aroma is very sweet and malty and maybe a little caramelization going on. The hops are less distinctive and in the background.

The body is medium but it is also smooth and comforting on my tongue.

The taste is upfront sweet and malty but not an overabundance of sweetness. There is a mellow low bitterness at the finish that does not linger. I found it to be very drinkable.

4.19/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Had this on draft on my last trip to Vermont. Tasted like Vermont. Hearty, complex, colorful, carmel. Tasted great,,,had another.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle purchased as a single from somewhere in the Middlebury/Burlington area.

Poured into 2010 Pioneer stein, formed a 1/4" tan head over the clear reddish brown brew. Head holds pretty well, with spotty lacing. Aroma is malty with a cherry tinge.

Taste is sweet to start, with the cherry present lightly from start to finish, highlighted in the middle, and a lightly bitter close. Mouthfeel is moderately smooth, and drinkability is reasonably good. The fruitiness might not be intended, but adds a little bit to the experience, and isn't enough to detract.

3.42/5  rDev -1.2%

Less smooth; more rustic brown. I get some good maltiness here.

2.35/5  rDev -32.1%

Picked up on my last trip up to VT.
A fun fall trip through the woods and the way,
sloshing through the Green Mountains and yonder more.

It arrives with a fizzy 1/2 finger head, the lumps into the glass with air and dread,
this all arrives in the glass from the pour,
fades fairly quickly, with lacing looking prickly,
beer's a semi hazy bright cranberry reddish color like the hair of Lenore,
a color only of folklore.

NOse comes wafting with malts all red, light and airy with a caramel thread,
the nose starts light and but not too bad, more of a bore
little toasty bready but light, touch of herbal hops to give a fright, hint of an estery undelight,
which comes as a bit of an off yeast gore,
very little aroma and nothing more.

Taste goes downhill from there, the appearance and aroma were a bit of a scare,
but nothing could provide, the preparation for this tastebud sore.
the flavor just fails to ride, and I even die a little inside,
as I'm forced to drink this putrid wreck, a wreck of beer folklore,
Off flavors galore.

Starts with a twang and hint of tin, and some tangy sourness within, as a light infection taste sets in,
the infection taste so know from early homebrews, that brews up a horror in my memory blues.
It doesn't stop there as it brings diacetyl, filmy and slimy like a buttered pterodactyl,
I think I hear my tastebuds getting sick, I can even hear them scream and roar,
My mouth cries with fear and ick, at the sour slimy liquid almost sick,
something tasty I need to lick, it's worse than bore,
So many bad flavors is there anything more?

"It's not THAT bad," I think to myself, some light toasty reddish malts and caramels off the shelf,
ease my taste buds a bit back from their frights, and just a bit of herbal hops keep in my sights,
a faint bitterness cuts through, in the back of the taste and rue, for the hops are not my type of crew.
The normal malts are single minded without the off flavors, to make it even worse than before.
Finish just lingers the diacetyl sticky and slimy, and a bit of tangy infection of homewbrews old timey,
a bit more herbal hops, add a bit more of the flavor flops, drinking the rest is like a chore,
I think I'll pour this on the floor.

At least the mouth has med body, but lighter carb keep it spotty, and little slimy grimy and snotty.
The overall beer's not good. Ripe with off flavors, nothing like it should, it's nothing close to a four.
With descriptors like diacetyl and infection, tangy slimy and even light carbonation,
Mostly off flavors, and for the good, there is little there and nothing more.
I will buy this never more.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

4.81/5  rDev +39%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is our go-to brown when we can't find Heady Topper on the shelves in Barre. Caramelly - great taste

3.86/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.66/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev +7.8%

First time sampling products from this new VT brewery.

Pours a mild amber color with a thin head into my glass. It's slightly copper-ish.

A good whiff of grassy hops complimented by mild, lightly buttered malt.

Taste is very balanced with a good amount of grassy hops and buttered malt. Easygoing ale.

Mouthfeel is slightly thin though. Wish there was more to savor on my tongue. Again, a mix of grassy hops/buttery malt.

It's drinkable as is but it's certainly not the best example I've had. I can't wait to see how my bottle of Chocolate Stout is. I would probably only buy this again if it were bottled and not in growlers. Check it out though!

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

3.07/5  rDev -11.3%

This poured a nice amber color with a light white lacing off the tap.

Smelled of light roasted malts, slightly marzen style in aroma

Taste was great from the first sip after having a thicker stout, as I could really pick out the amber flavors and the lighter characters of the beer. As I continued to drink this beer it began tasting more and more cidery to me as it warmed. I really thought that too much sugar was added to this or some type of adjunct / spice that made it have slightly off or cidery flavors to me. There were some spices, but cider and sugar really stood out.

I was underwhelmed by this beer unfortunately. Was hoping for greatness after the first sip but it let me down slightly. I do not know how big this brewery is, but it could have had to do with smaller batches?

4.1/5  rDev +18.5%

3.44/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%