Gallows Point Dead Man's Porter | Skull Coast Brewing Company

Skull Coast Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States

Style: American Porter

Availability: Fall

Our Fall & Winter Seasonal, Gallows Point, is an Imperial Porter made with real Chocolate & Macadamia Nuts. There is nothing on the market like it, and it was recently named one of the Top 20 American Porters in the United States by BeerAdvocate.

Added by atsprings on 11-02-2010

Liked:
4.36/5
Alströms:

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A very dark walnut colored body with a large tan head. Dark cocoa colored at first of head bubbles but seems to settle down and get lighter in color as time goes on. Tons of lacing. She looks good.

Great nutty smell, roast, maybe a little coffee, and some sweet malt. This smells just great a mish mash of many things which all get a turn. I can't get over the macadamia nut smell. Who would have thought of putting that in a porter? Pretty sweet!

Taste is a great macadamia but at first, with good malt chew. Aftertaste has some hop finish. Then, almost as if it was layered there is a chocolate highlight. Lots of flavors that come out throughout the tasting. The chocolate and macadamia on finish is surprising where did that come from. Not too heavy either. No noticeable alcohol even though it's listed as 7%.

This is a great porter. What can I say? I really liked it a lot.

4.79/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a nice deep brown. Looks like a porter with a very nice head that laced all the way down.

The aroma lovely. It has a great chocolate and macadamia nut flavor. My friend also smelled vanilla. But, maybe that was just him. It had an excellent nose! Wonderfully distinct.

The taste pops! It's not just a great porter, but the addition of the chocolate and macadamia nut flavor was on point. I would have never thought of macadamia for a porter, but I loved it. My friend also felt that there was some coffee in there. But, that was probably a roasted malt. Very complex and delicious.

The mouthfeel is really nice. It was nicely carbonated.

The drinkability is excellent. I tilted more than one. Delicious each time.

3.65/5  rDev -16.3%

Served from tap into a sampler tumbler. Poured a deep dark brown with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, chocolate, and big butterscotch. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, coffee, cream, and slight butterscotch. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. However, the flavors seemed just a little watered down to me. The aroma on the otherhand was very strong on butterscotch, almost overwhelmingly so... This is worth trying at least once, but that is about it for me.

4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

a: shaker pint serving, the beer is a deep opaque chocolate brown in color with a topping of light-mocha colored carbonation, well retained, leaving some lace behind

s: milk chocolate roast, buttery toasted macadamia nut, toffee, brown sugar, earthy hops, nicely aromatic and unique

m: carbonation just under moderate in level, body medium-full

t: pretty unique flavor set for a porter - milk chocolate, toasted macadamia nut, toffee malt, vanilla, sugars balanced with an earthy hop flavor and mild bitterness, mild hops, very tasty but maybe a little too reliant on the chocolate component for flavor - could be a little more rounded

d: no problems here, an interesting set of flavors, and drinks well for such a bold set

draft at Tap City, Raleigh

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this today with friends down in Fort Mill at McHales. They told me that even though I'm not a big dark beer fan, I would love this one. I think the thing that struck me most about it was its drinkability. It's not a heavy dark beer. I had four while watching football games. The other thing that struck me was the macadamia nut. When they first told me it had macadamia nuts in it, I was skeptical. But, you really taste them with the chocolate. Great beer! So happy I was talked into this rather than my usual beers on a winter day. This will be my new go-to beer.

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

I had this at Big Daddy's and it was wicked awesome! I was just going to have one (since it was $1), but I had two more right after that! The first thing that hits you is the smell: chocolate and macadamia nuts! Then, the taste. Exactly as described. The mouthfeel is great because the rep said it was unfiltered. And, while this is an Imperial Porter, its really drinkable! Like I said, I had two more right after! I'm not really a dark beer fan, but this is my new favorite.

4.87/5  rDev +11.7%

On tap at Big Daddy's Burger Bar in Ballantyne (Charlotte, NC) poured into a Skull Coast pint glass.

A: Cloudy Dark BROWN with a light brown (khaki, off white) head

S: Rich Chocolate with a strong Macadamia Nut smell. One of the best smelling beers I have come across

T: Chocolate with a strong nuttiness in the finish.

M: Medium body. Carbonation seems just about perfect.

D: I had 3 1/2 glasses of this. One of the most drinkable porters I have had. If it wasn't for the huge lunch I had and having to drive home I would have had more.

Overall a fantastic beer and I am looking forward to more offerings from this local brewery.

3.16/5  rDev -27.5%

On tap at Big Daddy's Burger Bar in Ballantyne poured into a Skull Coast pint glass.

A: Hazy dark brown color, with very little off white head.

S: Chocolate and not much else. Maybe slight nuttiness and coffee in the background.

T: Overwhelming chocolate with slight coffee and some nuttiness in the finish. Seems like most of this beer's flavor comes from hazelnut extract and cocoa nibs. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not really my style. This is a very sweet beer in my opinion.

M: Medium to heavy body. Carbonation seems just about perfect for the style.

D: I had 2 and that was plenty for me.

As a funny addendum to this review, I noticed shortly after I posted it that I was removed from Skull Coast's facebook page. Not saying there is a connection, but it's a mighty strange coincidence. I attempted to add them again and was denied. I attempted to contact them to see why I was being blacklisted and got no response. It's kind of sad because I liked their other beers and love to support local breweries, but will probably steer clear of them from now on since they don't seem to like constructive criticism.

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

Growler is from the Piney Grove Green's.

A - A chocolaty brown body with a nice sized tan head resting on top.

S - Really picking up a lot of macadamia nut mixed with a sweet milk chocolate aroma. Smells fantastic, I don't think it could get much better.

T - The chocolate notes are the highlight. The macadamia nut lends a nice smooth nutty aroma. Some light roasted notes are present as well. Certainly pretty sweet but not cloyingly so.

M - smooth. medium to heavy bodied. A pretty standard amount of carbonation

D - Pretty high drinkability. I love beers that give me a nice chocolate flavor and this one certainly delivers. The macadamia nut character adds an extra little something. This is a really good beer. I wish it was bottled so I could send it out to all my regular trading partners. I'll pick this up again the next time I see it.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a very dark brown with a thin tan head that leaves decent lacing. The aroma has a ton of chocolate notes, some lactose, candied almonds,a bit of coffee, dark fruits and some alcohol. The flavor also is bursting with gourmet chocolate notes upfront, macademia nuts, dark fruits, espresso and a hint of alcohol. The mouthfeel is moderate and drinkability is pretty good. Really tasty effort from Skull Coast, sweet but not cloying this is a great desert beer.

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

On-tap at Cherry Bomb Grill served in a standard pint glass a deep almost opaque black with a thin light tan head that lasts as a thin layer and leaves slight lacing on the glass. Aroma is a bit of baker's cocoa, roasted nuts and brown malts. The taste is a nice blend of roasted macadamia nuts, bitter cocoa and dark malts, nicely complex. The beer is on the light side of medium with smooth mild carbonation. This is a very enjoyable, easy drinking strong porter, one I hope to have more of this Winter.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last