Gallows Point Dead Man's Porter | Skull Coast Brewing Company

Skull Coast Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States

Style: American Porter

Availability: Fall

Our Fall & Winter Seasonal, Gallows Point, is an Imperial Porter made with real Chocolate & Macadamia Nuts. There is nothing on the market like it, and it was recently named one of the Top 20 American Porters in the United States by BeerAdvocate.

Added by atsprings on 11-02-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 36
3.16/5  rDev -27%

On tap at Big Daddy's Burger Bar in Ballantyne poured into a Skull Coast pint glass.

A: Hazy dark brown color, with very little off white head.

S: Chocolate and not much else. Maybe slight nuttiness and coffee in the background.

T: Overwhelming chocolate with slight coffee and some nuttiness in the finish. Seems like most of this beer's flavor comes from hazelnut extract and cocoa nibs. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not really my style. This is a very sweet beer in my opinion.

M: Medium to heavy body. Carbonation seems just about perfect for the style.

D: I had 2 and that was plenty for me.

As a funny addendum to this review, I noticed shortly after I posted it that I was removed from Skull Coast's facebook page. Not saying there is a connection, but it's a mighty strange coincidence. I attempted to add them again and was denied. I attempted to contact them to see why I was being blacklisted and got no response. It's kind of sad because I liked their other beers and love to support local breweries, but will probably steer clear of them from now on since they don't seem to like constructive criticism.

4.72/5  rDev +9%

Growler is from the Piney Grove Green's.

A - A chocolaty brown body with a nice sized tan head resting on top.

S - Really picking up a lot of macadamia nut mixed with a sweet milk chocolate aroma. Smells fantastic, I don't think it could get much better.

T - The chocolate notes are the highlight. The macadamia nut lends a nice smooth nutty aroma. Some light roasted notes are present as well. Certainly pretty sweet but not cloyingly so.

M - smooth. medium to heavy bodied. A pretty standard amount of carbonation

D - Pretty high drinkability. I love beers that give me a nice chocolate flavor and this one certainly delivers. The macadamia nut character adds an extra little something. This is a really good beer. I wish it was bottled so I could send it out to all my regular trading partners. I'll pick this up again the next time I see it.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a very dark brown with a thin tan head that leaves decent lacing. The aroma has a ton of chocolate notes, some lactose, candied almonds,a bit of coffee, dark fruits and some alcohol. The flavor also is bursting with gourmet chocolate notes upfront, macademia nuts, dark fruits, espresso and a hint of alcohol. The mouthfeel is moderate and drinkability is pretty good. Really tasty effort from Skull Coast, sweet but not cloying this is a great desert beer.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

On-tap at Cherry Bomb Grill served in a standard pint glass a deep almost opaque black with a thin light tan head that lasts as a thin layer and leaves slight lacing on the glass. Aroma is a bit of baker's cocoa, roasted nuts and brown malts. The taste is a nice blend of roasted macadamia nuts, bitter cocoa and dark malts, nicely complex. The beer is on the light side of medium with smooth mild carbonation. This is a very enjoyable, easy drinking strong porter, one I hope to have more of this Winter.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last