Rousse Bitter | La Barberie

Style: English Bitter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.22/5  rDev -9.8%

Bottle: Poured a light brown color ale with a foamy head with good retention. Aroma of bitter hops is clearly detectable. Taste is also quite bitter with some subtle sweet malt in the background. Hops are a bit too metallic for my taste and would have preferred a more citrus presence. Not bad overall but not a beer that will standout either.

3.75/5  rDev +5%

Presentation: After going to the grocery store, I dropped by the convenience store to buy some beer. That corner store got lots of very unknown micros like this one. I wasn't to let it go. So, I bought that 500ml brown bottle, 4.5% ABV.

Appearance: Rusty red. That ale is red and cloudy ("red ale on lees" says the label). When I poured it, I saw no foam head at all, but lots of carbonation bubbles.

Smell: The smell is very floral and fruity. Naturally, floral hops are very present, but I detected a good part of malts too.

Taste: I like its bitterness. At first, I was a little weak, but it gets better and better at each time I take a gulp. The aftertaste is really bitter.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is too sparky. I felt too many bubbles (carbonation and alcohol presence) on my tongue for english bitter style and it disturbs me from the taste.

Drinkability: It is good to have it in the local market, because we don't see lots of bitter beers around here (in Quebec). Unfortunetely, this brew can be improved much more.

2.97/5  rDev -16.8%

Posted on the board at Vices & Versa as "Hyper Bitter". Not sure if this is a tweaked version of the bitter or a whole new Beer.

Appearance: Opaque and somewhat brown, but turned a vibrant red when exposed to the sunlight from the terrasse at V&V. The lacing was pretty weak.

Smell: Some hops, of the spicy variety, almost peppery.

Taste: Some tangyness and the hops grip your tongue nicely, but that's about it. Something is definately missing, looks like the malt took the day off on this one, the mouthfeel falls flat on it's face.

3.72/5  rDev +4.2%

That sample was bottled in Nov 2003, and im reviewing it in February 2005.

The appearance of my first class of this beer was a bright red beer, a limpid body, very thin. second glass when the lee, when in effect, I got a different beer, an orange beer, a thick body. A big hoppist smell comes from that beer, a shy smell of caramel is also present, bitterness is also present.

Taste, bitter, you feel the hops, very citrous, some shy malt and caramel flavours comes out too.

Not bad.

3.12/5  rDev -12.6%

This beer was hard to classify. It was titled a Red Bitter. The appearance was a cloudy, dark red that bordered on brown. I thought there was more astringency and husk from the malt than bitterness from hops. The nose also had more malt than hop but with a pleasant cinnamon background that kept it interesting. The lack of carbonation and head kept me from fully enjoying this. A good amount of quality malt was unbalanced by the lack of hop prescence.
I may be off on this one, but it gave me the distinct impression that it was still a young beer that hadn't had time to develop or blend before hitting the tap.

3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a rust brown red with a very voluminous, bubble pocked head. Great lacing. Smells deceptively malty in the glass. Lots of raisin and fig. Taste is a giant wave of bitter. Slight caramel/vanilla malt taste followed by a bum rush of bittering hops. You almost feel like your tounge is shrinking from fluids being extracted from it. It's that bitter. Moderately strong body. It lives up to the style but it's not my thing.

3.3/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

On tap, malty and hoppy nose, rather well blended. A good herbal bitter with cloves? and roasted bicuits. The finish is long, accompanied by a definition of english hop bitterness. Better than the bottle as usual with La Barberie, but definitely nothing to throw me off my bench. A bit too carbonated to my liking too.

4.32/5  rDev +21%

A dark red colour with a lovely beige head of foam. The aromas are sweet and malty, and dry and hoppy as well. This bitter is balacned very, very well. The taste is awesomely malty up front with a distinctive hop flavor in the middle and an awesome, dry hop finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and the drinkability is very, very good. I wonder if this brew is as good in the bottle?

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last