Pale Ale Anglaise | La Barberie

3.78/5

La Barberie
Quebec, Canada
labarberie.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by francisweizen on 06-23-2004

4.29/5  rDev +13.5%

This is an exceptional example of an American Pale Ale. This beer has great balance; full of flavor in every way.

The only "average" aspect was the appearance where there was no head when the beer was presented. The thin layer of bubbles did leave some spotty lace, however. It has a light amber color which is attractive.

This may be the best blended smell/taste beer I've had in a while. Malty up front with soft but solid hop. The smell is more fruity with a touch of caramel. Strong hop finish. Firm body.

Overall, I'd describe it as a superior, malty PA.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

4.18/5  rDev +10.6%

A deep golden colour with a small white head. The aroma is of hops, sweet malts, some honey, and a little bit o' buttah. The taste is dry and hoppy up front with some honey notes in the middle and a nice hemp-like (weedy) hop bite in the finish. The aftertaste is grassy and a bit bitter as well. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and standard the drinkability is very good. A nice, hoppy pale ale from Barberie!

Glowing orange in the glass, with a smooth, creamy white head. Nice malty, grainy aroma leads through to a grassy. slightly grainy taste. My wife describes it as clover, but I've never touched the stuff myself. There's a really nice level of hopping in this one, that becomes apparent in the middle and finish. Could do with having a bit more body, but its okay as it is. I could drink this one all night!

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

3.1/5  rDev -18%

Had this on tap at Vices & Versa 06AUG2004

Served up an opaque caramel orange, with a nice fluffy, creamy head. Looks pretty good to me.
Had a slightly sweet, grainy smell.
Has a decent malty start, with hops coming in gently in the middle, but then the typical Barberie finish, the one I find too often in their weaker offerings. Kinda watery, somewhat acidic, and mouthfeel was a little too light because of that.
Certainly not the worst Beer I ever tasted, and I'm sure I'll end up trying this again in a few months, but maybe not a whole pint, just a quick "galopin" to see if they tweeked the recipe.

***Edit 10Apr2005***
No apparent changes in this one, the head wasn't as creamy, still a little watery, but I was able to pick up a bit more hops in this one.

Pale Ale Anglaise from La Barberie