Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Captain's Code Baltic Porter | Amherst Brewing

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by jamie2dope on 03-23-2011

Reviews by jamie2dope:
3.8/5  rDev 0%

I grabbed this, along with a few other things during my biweekly trip to Amherst today (good to be back on my old college stomping grounds). Poured in to a Sam Adams perfect pint glass, the color is a glowing copper, with about a finger and a half of white heading. A nice mix of smoke and chocolate wafts up from the smell, along with some caramel and light alcohol. Slightly metallic in flavor (in a good way) with some herbal tea character, powdered cocoa. and more smoke. Mouthfeel is medium in body, though possibly a tad light for this style. The alcohol certainly seems low here, but that is what makes it interesting. It tastes like a Baltic Porter, but doesn't have the strength of many others. I would be lying if I said I didn't gulp the first glass of this. This is a nice take on a BP.

3.84/5  rDev 0%

Tap at the brew pub, figured I could have one more beer before we left and picked an interesting one, and felt I could give Jamie2dope some company with a review of this one.

Light frothy head light lacing, light brown almost like watered down coke color, nothing like a porter should be.

Taste decent porter nice chocolate and caramel, little dark malt light reddish toasy malt, little toffee and nutty.

Taste starts with little chocolate, cocoa, caramel and toffee, little nutty, little earthy bittering hops, little toasty reddish malts. Touch biscuit and toast hint metallic flavor. Finish has a light hop bitterness little creamy chocolate caramel and hint roast lingering.

Mouth is med bodied decent carb.

Overall ok but not great. Nice malts, chocolate, caramel, toffee, reddish toasty malts, biscuit, dark malts with nice porter, not much by way of hops which is how it should be for baltic porter, and no roast which is also nice.

Captain's Code Baltic Porter from Amherst Brewing