Black Toad Dark Ale | Black Toad Brewing Co.

good
Black Toad Dark AleBlack Toad Dark Ale

Black Toad Brewing Co.

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by Jason on 08-28-2002

3.6

1.68/5  rDev -53.3%

Dark Brown with hints of red with a tan foamy gead with poor retention and no lacing. Roasted malt sweetness and then adjuncts? Sweet roasted malt start... and then you swallow. A horrible bitter linger kicks in. High Carbonation with a sticky finish.

Ugh, it's like my tongue used my uvula for a speed bag. It started off so well, perhaps it was old because I don't remember hating it that much last time.

1.89/5  rDev -47.5%

Poured this 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

This beer pours a dark blackish color and produces a a small frothy head. Definitely a standard looking American porter.

The smell was less than pleasant. Along with the roasted malt, I am picking up hints of grass and even fish?!?

After the first sip, I was less than impressed. I was hoping for more malt, but I didn't get it. Instead as was with the aroma, I got hints of what I can only describe as fish.

The mouthfeel was genuinely decent, except I didn't want it to linger on the pallate for veyr long. It really just made me unhappy.

This had very little drinkability from me. Between the flavor and aroma, I didn't want to be around more than the six pack I got.

Final Thoughts - This beer really had some serious problems. The aroma and flavor were really that bad. I will have to investigate this beer again. The $5 price for a six pack seemed too good to be true, and ultimately it was. Further investigation is needed.

Purchased my Black Toad Dark Ale at Trader Joe's and had no idea what to expect from this beer.

Black Toad Dark Ale was absolutely wretched! I was able to gulp back 3 mouthfuls before pouring the rest down the sink!

The appearance is a dark lager and the smell is of a wet ashtray!

The taste was like burnt garbage! Maybe my beer was skunked but I thought someone put 100 cigarette butts out in an old beer and served it to me! I can not believe a beer that have such a burnt flavor that you can't detect anything else there!

I wanted to like Black Toad but unlike burnt marshmallows this burnt product is not pallatable!

2.13/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

2.17/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.5

Consumed March 28th, 2013. Poured into a standard pint glass at 50 degrees F. Bottle label states "best consumed before 07/14/13".

Beer is a clear dark brown with deep ruby/brown highlights. A two finger tan head forms and subsides fairly quickly, made up of an unappealing mass of sloppy bubbles. Some tiny flecks of sheeting on the glass as the beer is consumed.

Aroma is nutty with caramel and brown sugar notes.

Flavor is off. Nasty metallic note is the primary flavor component. A little fruit and nut peek out but then the experience is ruined by an oxidized finish. Not totally undrinkable, but I dumped at least half down the drain. Don't need the calories if I don't enjoy the flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a slight creaminess.

If everything but the flavor is okay, then the rating tends to be deceptively high. I will never drink this beer again.
___

PREVIOUS REVIEW:

Consumed on January 16th, 2008.

Pours a deep clear brown with even darker highlights. One finger head formed and dissipated rapidly. Aroma is sweet malt and nuts. Mouthfeel is smooth and a little thick. Flavor is woody/nutty with some sweet caramel notes. Some bitter coffee/chocolate present as well. Minimal astringency on center of tongue. Finishes clean with very thin bitterness.

Label notes that the beer is brewed by Goose Island.

Not bad at all.

OVR - 3.5

rating: 3.53

2.18/5  rDev -39.4%

got this from a pick six from TJ"s. poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A- dark cola appearance with little to no head. small amount of lacing that doesn't hang around long

S- nutty smell with a faint hint of chocolate and burnt coffee. not much going on with the smells

T- can taste the malts with a burnt coffee and nuts. the carbonation is overwhelming and tends to drown at the other notes

M- thin, watery and again, too much carbonation. almost fizzy in the mouth. couldn't let it sit on the palate too long...just not that enjoyable

D- not sure if it was the beer or am I just not a fan of porters. the carbonation is so strong it almost taste more like a cola than a beer. won't buy again.

2.21/5  rDev -38.6%

I mean, i'm reading other people reviews and i don't get it. I tried this beer last night and it was VERY BAD.
Extremely light, crispy but so watery...its like a dark lager more than dark ale. The price is ridiculously cheap(5.65 a six pack in TJ) but like i said, i wasn't expecting such a bad product. At one point i thought its was expired...
No creamy at all, watery taste, nice aroma but that's all. Not what i'm expecting of a Dark Ale. My sensation was "this is a Dark Ale Budweiser". Next time i'm going for a Porter.

2.24/5  rDev -37.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A--light tan head, very thin, and lacey. reddish, walnut body

S--sweet malt, husky and light caramel smell

T--smokey malt, very sweet front, almost a mushroom like middle and a light hop end.

M--thick, slick

D--very one dimesional brew. It doesn't taste "bad" in an off flavor sense but just seems to have a flavor that is non-distinctive.

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

2.49/5  rDev -30.8%

For a name like "black toad", this poured very brown. I do suppose it is a brown ale. Malt bomb all the way around. Smelled sweet and malty, tasted sweet and malty. Maybe a little bit nutty, but mostly just a malt bomb. Mouthfeel was light and carbonated. Really no finish to it what so ever. Overall...I poured this down my drain. Funny thing is that I used to drink it often before I really got into beer, and before my pallet became snobbish. This was horrible IMO and I'll never buy it again, even if it's only a buck.

2.49/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pour a clear brown brew, doesn't look like a porter.

Smell is sweet and heavily roasted in scent and is slightly sour smelling.

Taste is a little sweet and a little malty with a bit of roasted flavor and some bitter aftertaste. I feel like I have been cheated, this doesn't have all that much flavor at all. As a Porter it is a flop, makes an OK Brown Ale I guess.

Mouthfeel is below average.

It is drinkable but why would I ever want another one of these? Blah! Completely forgettable!

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Boring, dark brown clearish black body and nearly no head yo. Nose is wet and dank, with some piney spruce sharpness that reminded me of wet forest. Tastes are burnt and roasty. Seems to have the rudiments of the porter but woefully thin body and garish mineral carbon after really put the hurt on this one. Certainly below-average. If at TJs--avoid this!

2.53/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ugh, you say this is a porter? Seems like a brown ale. Pours kinda dark, but lacks the thickness to be a stout, pours thin like a weak brown ale. Smell, not attractive, no hop character, lots of toffee.

Taste, more toffee, some burnt malt, doesn't smack of chocolate or coffee like you might expect from the color. No hops. Thin malt. Pick one, don't not have either. Mouthfeel is lacking, no depth, no heft, thin, watery for a porter. Can't be drinkable if I don't like anything else about it. The last one of my 6 pack sat in the fridge for over a year. I forget who the sucker was that drank this.

2.62/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle.

Light cola brown body. Small, ephemeral, dirty beige head. Nose of sweet caramel malts, Hershey's syrup, licorice, and light roasted barley. Lightly roasted malt and cardboard up front. Caramel and cola sweetness follow. Old roasted coffee bitterness mixes with astringent graininess near the finish. Doughy, caramel sweetness sticks out in the finish. Moderate body with a fizzy feel. Not terrible, but not that good.

Black Toad Dark Ale from Black Toad Brewing Co.