Black Toad Dark Ale | Black Toad Brewing Co.

good
Black Toad Dark AleBlack Toad Dark Ale

Black Toad Brewing Co.

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by Jason on 08-28-2002

Reviews: 259 | Ratings: 493
3.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from the bottle into a Radeberger flute at low altitude.

A: Pours a very dark but still translucent brown color with a foamy off-white head, but not a whole lot of lacing.

S: Sweet caramel malts and some definite chocolate character. I'm surprised at how strongly the alcohol comes through in the background.

T: Basically one chocolaty note that hangs on from start to finish. I feel this could have used some bitterness to balance on the finish.

M: Medium- to light-bodied and very slick. Could use some more cream to a heavier body to hold up to the flavors in my opinion.

D: Definitely an interesting brown ale -- much like a stout in flavor.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Comsumed 7/17/09- from notes. Had dinner at a buddies house in VA where unlike MD you can get beer in grocery stores. Picked this up at a Trader Joe's.

Brown 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Very dark brown with a creamy one finger tan head that faded pretty quick. not too much lacing.

S- Roasted coffe and dark chocolate. Kind of faint aroma over all.

T- Same as the smell with some hints of citrus too.

M- Light to medium. Actually seems to border a brown ale more than a porter to me. Medium carbination.

D- Pretty easy to drink, great session beer.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Pours a dark brown with very little light coming through. Has a decent tan head that dissipates quickly into a good collar. Laciness was thin. Fruity and malty aroma. Taste is earthy and nutty. Beer has a bitterness that stays in the background that keeps it interesting. Light and crisp mouthfeel, good medium body. I really enjoyed the flavor, very mellow and complex. This beer sits light, a number of these can be had in a sitting.

Bought this beer because my wife thought it sounded good-and she was right. Pours a dark, deep brown with little head retention. Hops aroma is minimum and there is a roasted malt aroma. Taste is good I pick up a toasted malt finish with little hop bitterness. Mouth feel is medium and drinkability good. Nice beer. Nothing outstanding, not a robust American porter-but a good drinking beer.

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Drank from bottle. Smells of coffee and caramel, taste same with a bit of brown sugar. Lots of roast malt. Like a porter but a little lighter. Simple but good. Would get it again.

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Dark deep black amber with a slight red hue.
Pours with a light milk chocolate froth head, dissipates quickly.
A nice swirl reinvigorates the head, and opens up the aromatics.

S- Roasted sweet malt, raisin, plum, slight banana ester.

T- Slight chocolate bitterness, coffee, raisin, mild alcohol
and a fresh coconut essence, with a light bitterness to finish.

M- Medium high carbonation, light crispness.

D- Good drinkable beer, smooth enough to have a couple, complicated
with enough depth to keep me interested.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Served out of a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: medium brown, very slim off-white/semi-tan head, no lacing

S: some chocolate and coffee, a roasted smell. the aroma is kind of faint.

T: roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, and caramel. finishes slighly sweet.

MF: light to medium bodied, medium-high carbonation

Drinkability: decent beer, very drinkable. i'm sold on pretty much all the beers you can get from Trader Joes. very good beers for the price.

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Now this is a good dark beer. It looks like molasses, but tastes pretty light. I say it tastes like a Guiness, and I liked it better. It just doesn't have the same foamy head.

It has a nice brown nut ale flavor to it. The roasted barley is great. My fiance got this for me from Trader Joe's. I need her to get me some more.

3.19/5  rDev -11.1%

A - a dark dark translucent brown with a creamy white head and a tad bit of lacing.

S - Very little going on. Very subtle hints of roasted malt and slightly fruity smell.

T - Much like the smell there is little going on in the taste dept. I want to say there is some light roasted flavor and then there is some bitterness. Very one-deminsional.

M - thin and easy to swallow somewhat overcarbonated

D - decent beer and even better for the price. It just needs a little more "umph"

4.02/5  rDev +12%

Deep, dark color, can still see through if held up to light.
Nice smelling beer. Toasted malt, hint of caramel.
Tastes very much like it smells, malty with slight amount of hop flavour. Another reviewer mentioned a nuttiness to it. I would go a step farther and say a bit like roasted nuts, maybe coffee. Very slight.
Beer is a little thin, not too bad.
This is a very drinkable beverage. Good with food.

3.57/5  rDev -0.6%

Nose: Candy sweetness of chocolate and caramel, with a grounding nuttiness. Sweet and savory like Christmas.

Appearance: Rich, ruby-tinged brown with good clarity for the dark color. The head was thin, and I would have liked more of it.

Taste: The first few sips brought immediately heavy sweetness. But warming brought a richer profile of bittersweet chocolate, caramel, and coffee. Sweet and sticky, but not cloying thanks to a gentle but rich oily, nutty flavor.

Overall: A solid offering, but a bit seasonal for my tastes. A definite winner for the Holidays.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

This is a delicious beer. Its not one of the truly elite, but for its price range etc, I find it to be very enjoyable. Nice roasted malts; goes very well on a cool night. Well balanced and smooth on the palate--its traits make it exceptionally drinkable. Its relatively uncomplicated, which is also sort of a plus--a sort of back to basics type of thing that works very well. Simple, nice olfactory reading.

Happy sipping.

2.86/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found at Trader Joe's and gave it a shot. I wouldn't say that it is a bad beer but I doubt that I'll buy another six pack. I'd drink one if it is offered to me.

Pours a reddish brown with a good head that fades at an average rate. The smell is chocalatey and very malty. These aren't bad smells but they seem to be too dominating and any other smells that might be there are lost. It is smooth in the mouth and you do get a bit of that chocolate but a lot of the malt with not much aftertaste. This beer feels thicker than it is. Definitely a filling beer.

3.04/5  rDev -15.3%

Deep dark color looks terrific, but there's not much for aroma. Maybe a little licorice.
Subtle roasted malt and chocolate flavors, ends on a fresh hoppy note then leaves a lingering coffee aftertaste.

Overall I am underwhelmed by the subtleness of this beer.

4.88/5  rDev +35.9%

Nicely balanced with a color that’s in between dark magohany and ruby (Chestnut describes it perfectly!), there is a fantastic blend of subtle toffee, toasted biscuits, black tea, light coffee and a near-robust nutty flavor that follows the aroma very, VERY nicely. Although it does get a little hoppy, the mild sweetness balances it out. The nicely smooth carbonation makes this beer an enjoyable brew. Overall, this MAY be a good substitute for Goose Island’s Nut Brown Ale! Until Goose Island brings it back, you’ve got yourself a lighter version of the stockyard stout that is enjoyable anytime, even if you like a good stout like the stockyard! Other good nut brown ales to try are those from the Carolina Brewing Company, the Santa Fe Brewing Company and even the Coconut Molasses Brown Ale from Duck Foot Brewing Company. While not a nut brown, the Salted Caramel Brownie Brown Ale from New Belgium Brewing is also worth the mention.

1.89/5  rDev -47.4%

Poured this 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

This beer pours a dark blackish color and produces a a small frothy head. Definitely a standard looking American porter.

The smell was less than pleasant. Along with the roasted malt, I am picking up hints of grass and even fish?!?

After the first sip, I was less than impressed. I was hoping for more malt, but I didn't get it. Instead as was with the aroma, I got hints of what I can only describe as fish.

The mouthfeel was genuinely decent, except I didn't want it to linger on the pallate for veyr long. It really just made me unhappy.

This had very little drinkability from me. Between the flavor and aroma, I didn't want to be around more than the six pack I got.

Final Thoughts - This beer really had some serious problems. The aroma and flavor were really that bad. I will have to investigate this beer again. The $5 price for a six pack seemed too good to be true, and ultimately it was. Further investigation is needed.

4.53/5  rDev +26.2%

This pours a beautiful burgundy red. nice crisp brown head. Smells very malty a lot like a porter. Very well carbonated that has a nice sweet and malty flavor. Strong Chocolate flavor that really rounds this out nicely and finishes with a perfect hop flavor. I am so impressed with this beer. I am not even a huge fan of brown beers and porters but this is a great beer.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Poured from a bottle into a glass

A-Pours a nice dark brown with a small brown/ white head. Looks very inviting so far picking up on the aroma as I poured.

S-I got alot of plum some wine scents and a little chocolate. Not what I was expecting so far I am impressed.

T/M-Very smooth with very little carbonation. Goes down very easily.

I was very surprised by this one I will be seeking out more.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

Looks pretty good in the glass ... quite dark and beautiful, but the head is not much to speak of.

An excellent dark beer that doesn't feel too intense.

I like that it has more coffee/chocolate taste as opposed to a raisiny dark. Great flavor overall.

This is one of the few dark ales I am able to get at Trader Joes, so it is always a nice standby.

3.21/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark ruby red to brown color, like a well steeped Lipton tea.

Nose has a classic roasty malt aroma.

Taste - a watered sweetness, roastiness, mild bitterness. Dare I say some strongly brewed tea tones as well.

Not knocking my socks off. This one is in the ok zone.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smells of dark roasty malts, biscuity, coffee and all that stuff that comes with a porter.

Taste is the same, mouthfeel is good - slightly carbonated and has a nice thick mouthfeel.

I'm going to ignore the fact that this is $5.00 a six pack... because if I keep factoring that into my reviews all Trader Joes brands will be A+. Seriously, the product for the price is well worth it. Now if I compare it to the other porters I've had (which are usually twice the price) I would call this right in the middle average. Maybe even above average.

I'm not sure if I would get again, when it comes to porters I don't mind spending the extra couple dollars for some of the offerings we have around town.

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

In a US pint glass.

Dark brown, hazy, pale head.

Smell: Roasted malt, coffee, slight fruit.

Taste: same as nose. Hops are detectable in a bitter enough finish.

MF: pretty thin, good carbonation.

Very drinkable. A very good beer. I highly recommend picking up a bottle to try the next time you're at Trader Joe's. It's a great deal, being 5.99 a sixer.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

This ale pours a very dark, near stout, color with nice head and some lacing. The smell is roasted malt and is nice. The taste is solid, with a good nuts and chocolate quality that doesn't finish harshly. The mouthfeel is a bit watery for my tastes, but all in all this ale drinks well and I enjoy it on occasion.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer was surprisingly enjoyable. It had been sitting in the fridge for a while so I decided to drink it. It pours pretty dark. The slightest light is able to get through a very dark brown. Smells of oats and dark chocolate. The first thing that struck about the taste was its sweetness and relative thickness. For an abv of about 5%, I was not expecting big flavors. This is a good brew. Simple, no frills, and one of the better brown ales I have had.

Fours all around. This beer to me was very consistent. The "coke" dark color and creamy, but thin head was nice. Smell was loaded with toasted chocolate with a little coffee as well. Taste just like smell. Medium bodied with just enough carbonation. A very drinkable beer

Black Toad Dark Ale from Black Toad Brewing Co.