Great Eastern | Woodforde's Norfolk Ales

Awaiting More Ratings

Woodforde's Norfolk Ales
England, United Kingdom
woodfordes.co.uk

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 04-17-2005

Reviews by wl0307:
3.48/5  rDev 0%

Feels great to be the first one to review this beer!

Tried it at my London EastEnd local, a Wetherspoon pub, the Half Moon on 6 April 2005. It came in 4.3% abv as a guest ale there. That was a rainy, a bit humid, afternoon but the drink in the half pint glass dispelled all the unpleasantness right away.
Here's why:
The beer has light-amber colour and, apparently the cellarman did his job well this time and I was lucky as well, it pours a thin but dense, lasting head with minimal bubbles, just what you can expect of a nice pint of English ale from a fresh barrel.
Smell: light hoppy and grassy nose (a bit like the scent of freshly trimmed reed for my clarinet, as far as I could remember).
Taste: a bit aggresive/stimulating at first (Don't know from where the bubbles suddenly emerged?), but gradually giving way to flat, hoppy palate.
Aftertaste: it had very round, peachy, hoppy taste in the throat, but not excitingly complex.
Overall, I think this beer was served in the ideal condition at the right time (when it was raining outside the pub), so the context has to be taken as an important contributing factor to my rating of this beer in this review. (just like my review of Deuchers IPA, by the way.)

Great Eastern from Woodforde's Norfolk Ales