Civil Disobedience #7 | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

A blend of Art (2 years in wine barrels) and 2 year old unblended Lambic.

Blended with 2 year old Cantillon lambic. Bottled in July of 2013.

Added by scotv on 10-16-2013

2.15/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

I had this bottle thanks to a great and consistently generous friend of mine.

We poured it out equally into HFS glasses with an air of expectancy. This was supposed to be the crown on the night. It was the one to make sure that the tasting wouldn't end on a sour note, and how could it? This is a beer we've been after since it was CD6.

All poured out, we paused a beat before grabbing our glasses and taking a look. It was a golden color that glowed in the light. It was darker than I imagined for an Art and Cantillon blend, but appearance is shallow metric to judge a beer by.

I took a series of smells over the glass. We expected more of a Cantillon aroma but hoped for something with a strong HFS backbone to it. I could immediately say that the Cantillon didn't over power it. I now wish it did. There was a sharp front of lambic aggressiveness before the smell of butter took over. It didn't start unpleasantly but certainly ended so. I decided to keep it to myself until I made eye contact with the rest of the group. The cat was out the bag.

At this point I give up a quote from the night: "I wanted this to be great at every step, and at every step it fought back against me." If this beer were given to me in the form of popcorn, I would send it back for fear of the health risks that so much butter would surely cause me.

All Art is lost in the front end (the only end that tastes as it should). I taste a soft acidity and tartness infused with a citrusy fruitiness before the butter takes over. At every sip I fought to take back the beer inside, only to lose to the diacetyl.

This right here is a metaphor. This is Thomas Keller battling against Paula Deen. The only winner here was the drain.

And that there is your pretentious review for a pretentiously praised beer. Anyone who lauds this beer was looking to like it more than they were looking to taste it. I don't intend to denigrate this brewery, but this is a beer that someone should be ashamed to give out, let alone sell. CD7 is worse than the sum of its parts.

2.3/5  rDev -46.1%

Bottle from the final round of Collected Works.

A: Poured lightly golden with yellow undertones, and two fingers of white head.

S: the aroma is dominated by diacytel and faint notes of Belgian lambic character. Immensely disappointing.

T: Hints of lambic (similar to the flavor profile of cantillon classic geuze) that are overtaken by diacetyl. Zero trace of Art. The taste is rather awful.

O: Previous reviews hint of diacetyl, but do not forwardly proclaim that the beer is off. Such reviews are misleading. The aroma and taste are dominated by an off flavor, which is undeniably diacetyl. This beer is off. Without a doubt, this is the first bad beer I've had from Shaun.

2.75/5  rDev -35.6%

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

3.34/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pours a pale yellow to dull orange. Small white head that leaves a slight lacing along the side of the beer. slightly cloudy and almost opaque

Smell: white wine. Earthy sour vinegar. Wheat grass.

Taste: opens with lemon and strong vinegar. White wine comes in of the back of the sourness. the end is comprised of an earthy farmhouse yeast

Mouthfeel: the sourness on this one is fairly strong, along with an acidic dryness. leaves a barnyard coating.

Overall: not overly impressed with this one. very vinegary and vinous. I wish I could have picked up on some oaky flavors or something to increase the complexity a bit

3.41/5  rDev -20.1%

Pour is hazed yellow with a tight white ring. Nose has a good bit of barrel with a hint of buttered popcorn and strong citrus and tangerine notes. Taste is stronger citrus with lots of orange pulp and a faint barrel with a lingering citrus bitterness. Light body, flavor is short, a hint slick with assertive carbonation.

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%