Memoria

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: In October of 2018, we brewed a batch of Marie—our single-decocted, unfiltered, German-style Helles—and lagered a portion of it at 3º Celsius, as we have with Poetica, in our now cherished French oak puncheon. After three months of conditioning, we moved the beer to stainless steel and krausened with fresh-fermenting Mary to provide natural carbonation.

Following more than a month of slow, gentle carbonation, we now proudly pour for you an elevated expression of Marie, one that demonstrates our progressive pursuit for refinement while honoring and ennobling the most inspiring elements of classical brewing tradition.

Soft. Sincere. Simple.
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 36 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
rodbeermunch from Nevada

3.72/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Wasn't sure at the time if I had ever had a Hill Farmstead lager, so it seemed natural for me to check it out. Holy moly I did not expect so see such a high rating! I tend to rate other lager subgenres higher than helles so take this review with a grain of salt. From October 2019's visit to the source.

Pours yellow with a sligh haze to it, 3/5" white head. More of a bready pale malt and mild lager yeast aroma.

Taste was bouyed by a breadiness indicative of style, but moreso than you typically find in something this light on the SRM scale. Cool use of the puncheon, mild wood note. Mouth feel was a lightly carbonated beer giving credence to the heavier breadiness in something of this color.

So I've talked about this isn't my normal jam, I like skunky Euro lager yeast, I like hoppy IPL, I like brisk, well carbonated pilsner. . . but this spoke to me. Maybe not as much as others, but it was still good and something I'd pick up a 6 pack of if given the chance. Its nice and soft, not s-a-w-f-t.

Apr 21, 2020
GreesyFizeek from New York

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at Hill Farmstead Brewery in Greensboro Bend, NY.

This one pours a clear golden yellow color, clear and pretty, with a tight and thick head, and clear rings of lacing down the glass.

This smells like light clean grassy hops, bready and just slightly sweet malt, wheat, a touch of graininess - this is going to be great.

This is an elevated drinking experience - it’s so simple, clean, and expressive. The malt character stands forward and present, with a slightly doughy breadiness, a touch of water cracker, some spicy grain, and a touch of soft wheat. There’s just a kiss of hop character, and a creamy flavor on the back end.

This is crazy drinkable, both light and rich at the same time, with a super crisp and clean mouthfeel.

This is as good as lager gets - this old world lager series is so tremendous.

Sep 16, 2019
Gatch from Rhode Island

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Their “old world lager offering” at the time. It’s hard to describe my excitement when I realized this was available while I was at the brewery; didn’t notice until I got up to the bar to order! Helles is my favorite style and when it’s given this treatment by this brewery, it’s going to be beyond world-class; it’s universe-class (lame?). Somehow their interpretation of mastering the style through a beer like Poetica can be improved upon. So mellow, so flavorful. It makes me a bit emotional. When I finally visit Bavaria, all beer will measure up to this, which honestly doesn’t seem fair to the Germans.

Aug 28, 2019
rudzud from Massachusetts

4.67/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed on tap at the brewery on Wednesday.

A - Poured a nice crystal clear honey gold hue with a super creamy white almost two finger head that fades to leave practically painted on lacing and a dense blanket.

S - Aromas of super grassy notes, almost some sorghum, tons of toasted oak and grains, nice light sweetness. Very aromatic.
T - Taste is similar to the nose with loads of slightly sweet malts and toasted grains. Lovely soft floral and grassy notes. Super subtle oak as well.

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, crisp, clean with surprisingly good body.

O - Overall this was a very well done Helles that is just super true to style. Great balance between hops and malts and grain. Could drink this every day

Serving Type: on tap

Jul 28, 2019
Jwale73 from Rhode Island

4.53/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the Ormsby Abbey. Served in a dimpled mug. Pours a lovely golden hue with a slight haze to the clarity and a rocky, one 1.5 inch bright white head. Nose is exquisite - delicate bready and grassy notes. Nice and clean. Taste follows nose with the addition of a hint of lemon in the background. Mouthfeel is light in body with a soft, easy carbonation. Overall, perfectly balanced and deliciously refreshing; however, I don't get the notes of oak suggested by the description.

Jun 30, 2019
Alieniloquium from Florida

4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

On tap at Hill Farmstead. Faintly hazy yellow. Big fluffy head. Smells of soft bready malt and light grain. Floral notes. Tastes of doughy bread and grain. Floral hops. Lightly spicy hops. Dry finish. Very soft palate. Low carbonation, but not creamy. A softer version of Marie, which is fantastic.

Jun 29, 2019