Edward | Hill Farmstead Brewery

4.43 w/ 2,684 ratings

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Edward (1917-2002) is our grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his five children. In his honor, this American Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Edward’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, with impressions of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edward.

Pale and Caramel malt; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; House Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

Added by abriggs1 on 04-27-2010

#200
Liked:
4.43/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,684 |  Reviews: 368

At Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. This is the standard for an APA.

Serving type: On tap many times. Mostly at the Skinny Pancake Creperie and the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. I'm not even sure where I had it first. I had never planned on reviewing it, or any other beer, but it's so good that I've decided to type about it.

Appearance: It looks fine to me. Like a glass of beer. The glasses they serve it in at Three Penny Taproom are great. Sort of like a pint glass, with the Hill Farmstead Logo. Honestly the glass is so nice, it does add something, I think.

Smell: It smells like it tastes, as far as I know. I sort of object to the idea of discounting points for relatively unimportant considerations like appearance, or even smell. As far as I know, it smells like heaven.

Taste: The taste is brilliant. Fresh. Hearty. Hoppy. It's like the best IPA ever.

Mouthfeel: My mouth feels absolutely fantastic when I'm drinking this beer.

Overall: 11.

When I see the detail that some people have put into their reviews, I almost feel apologetic that I haven't labored over the details more. Three Penny Taproom has a lot of great beers (24 taps), but I often get buyer's remorse if I get anything other than the Edward, including other Hill Farmstead beers. From what I've had, a Sixpoint Resin is the only thing close to the heavenly Edward, although a lot of the other Hill Farmstead beers aren't too far behind, like Citra and Abner, which are nice because they taste somewhat similar to the Edward.

All of their beers taste fresh and flowery, that I've had.

From my experience, I've never had a beer with such a good finish as the Edward. In this respect, I think it does outclass the other Hill Farmstead beers I've had. There's just some kind of bonus in the after taste. Dry and inviting. It's such a hearty and delicious beer, and my favorite of all time. The challenge now is to find something comparable. I've never tried Pliny the Elder which I've read is really good. I've seen polls where the Dogfish Head 90 minute is listed as a top five beer. There is absolutely no comparison: the Edward is much, much better than the 90 minute, but then again, I think the 60 minute is better than the 90 minute.

Sorry to go off topic. This is my first and perhaps last review, and it's just odd that no one is giving the Edward all 5s. I see the tips on the side that all 5s are to be used rarely, but come on. If there was ever a beer that deserves it, it's this one. Otherwise it's misleading.

Update: Reading more reviews, it sounds like I would really like Zombie Dust. I'll ask Three Penny if they can get some of that.

Wow, this really is outstanding beer!

Four and a half days after making the pilgrimage to Hill Farmstead I opened up my 750ml bottle of Edward and poured myself a glass. Words can barely describe how well all of the flavors go together.

Like a more hearty saison, this American Pale Ale is a league and a half above anything else in it's class. Moderately hopped, oh so freaking smooth. This beer really is amazing stuff.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Edward, the beer's namesake, but if someone made a beer half as good as this in my name I'd be leaving quite a legacy.

If you can get some of this, please, do so. I can't imagine you would be disappointed.

4.99/5  rDev +12.6%