Edward | Hill Farmstead Brewery

4.43 w/ 2,685 ratings

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Edward (1917-2002) is our grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his five children. In his honor, this American Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Edward’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, with impressions of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edward.

Pale and Caramel malt; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; House Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

Added by abriggs1 on 04-27-2010

#200
Liked:
4.43/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,685 |  Reviews: 368

3.75/5  rDev -15.3%

4.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In a tulip this beer was a hazy orange color. There was a medium-sized white head and an abundance of lace.

Very much citrus for aroma. Tinge of pine. Sweet malt.

What a taste! Grapefruit, tropical fruit, a bit of pine, some grassy hops. Bready.

A nice hoppy beer, but still somewhat restrained.

The first Hill Farmstead beer I've tried. Am looking forward to many more.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Extremely flavorful and hoppy pale ale. Great golden pale color, fantastic hop aroma of citrus. Has a better hop profile than most generic IPAs on the market. If I had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life. I think Edward would be it...

4.35/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.63/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

75cl Hill Farmstead growler generously shared by Doug while we are brewing beer. Poured into a Bell's snifter today, 9/9/2013. Review #200!

Pours a beautiful hazy golden straw colour. Kind of a peach colour, actually. It's got that effervescent Hill Farmstead head- 2cm white, thick and creamy looking head with very good retention. Lacing is there, but not the best characteristic about this beer.

This is an interesting beer to smell. In the beginning with the pour, its 100% papaya. I can't get over how much papaya I smelled. Then as it opens up, there is more of the mango and citrus, and by the time I finish the glass, it is pretty much a citrus bomb. It's really delicious smelling with a nice caramel-tasting malt backbone.

The flavour on this is rather interesting. It doesn't have that progression of hop flavours, but it is rather bready with a ton of tropical fruit on top.. what stands out is that super strong bitterness. We looked it up and its 80 theoretical IBUs.. which is a real surprise treat. It's very bitter in the beginning in a very good way. What's awesome is that by the halfway point, the bitterness has passed and we have a delicious balanced pale ale- tons of citrus without much bitterness. Or did the palate get used to it? We'll never know.

Mouthfeel is that creamy, effervescent Hill Farmstead style.. not as much as Susan, Abner, Ephraim, etc. but still significantly so. I really can't get over how Shaun Hill makes his beer feel like this. No booze going on here. So sessionable but jam-packed with flavours.

This is one hell of an American Pale Ale. It feels like an IPA with that bitterness quotient and hop flavour bombing, but so sessionable. It's probably second only to Zombie Dust I think if you count that as an APA. Really the best APA out there. Hill Farmstead, you never cease to amaze.

Re-visited on tap multiple times on my recent Vermont pilgrimage during the week of 2/11/2014. New thoughts on this beer, having had multiple of highly acclaimed American Pale Ales such as Zombie Dust, pseudoSue, etc. and having had the chance to enjoy this at least 8 times since the first growler I split back in September. The best thing about this beer is that it is so complex that each time I taste it, there's something different that stands out that was previously in the background. It has citrus, passion fruit, mango, floral, pine hop characters in there. Most of the time, citrus and passion fruit stands out, but other times the floral and pine stands out. It just seems to depend on how you're feeling that day. And either way the delicious malt backbone provides just enough sweetness along with the fantastic HF mouthfeel to make drinking this a real treat. It's not overwhelmingly bitter, is flavourful and almost juicy, and a true pleasure to drink no matter where I am in my day or my life. It's by far my favorite American Pale Ale and in my opinion, it is more or less perfect.

Edward from Hill Farmstead Brewery