Edward | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Edward (1917-2002) is our grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his five children. In his honor, this American Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Edward’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, with impressions of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edward.

Pale and Caramel malt; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; House Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

Added by abriggs1 on 04-27-2010

Ratings: 2,654 |  Reviews: 359

4.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Had his on draft at The Pizza Stone, I think in Chester, VT.

I had no expectations, because I knew nothing about this beer.
It had the malty hoppy smell of a brewery. As I tasted it, I could tell it had a high IBU, but it wasn't out of balance. This was an exceptional beer. I asked the bartender about it and she informed me that, "the brewery is the highest rated in the world."

Needless to say the beer blew me away!! One of the best all around beers I have ever had.

Experiences like this are what it's all about!

4.88/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

4.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Purchased this at the brewery. As many others have said it is so tasty with a perfect carbonation and overall drinkability that this would be my absolute standard if I could get it regularly. I feel this beer doesnt try to over power you, it comes at you in a subtle classy way with a very fine appreciation of how to deliver the taste of an IPA without overpowering your mouth. Shaun knows what he is doing and has made what I feel is by far the best session IPA out there.

4.86/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

what a friggin tasting hobo 5 turned out to be. i ended up coming out with two beers that were damn near perfect 5's and on two totally different ends of the spectrum, from the growler to the pint glass.

the best pour a pale ale could have hands down. bow down to it. a deep amber that was soo cloudy and hazy you could not see through to the other side of the bottle no matter what you tried. amazing looking beer with a huge which head that stuck to anything it came close to.

the aroma was to die for as the hops were soo fresh, soo clean it made you cry. such a deep resonant citrus aroma coming off of this, i hardly could speak.rich orange, pineapple, tangerine, juicy it was soo fresh, no bitterness or harshness, soo full and fresh like you were sucking on a whole cone, again just amazing here. clean finish with a dry, juciy finish that left you searching, begging to find more.

overall this was a simply amazing beer that really just has to be tried. i have ephraim in the fridge, cannot wait.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The smell isn't too overwhelming however I can pick up on just the right amount of hops with grapefruit and subtle lemon and orange. Reminds me of a toned down galaxy- I would say more prominent citrus notes and a bit of subtle tropical fruit in the background. The hops are lightly floral but still very juicy and I can still get some risinous tastes, but not too overwhelming. Taste is very well balanced- juicy and fruity hops come at you with grapefruit, tangerine, and a little lemon? I can notice the malt however its in the background and doesn't take away from the hoppy PA nature of the brew. Balance between the hops and malt is the key for this PA - however the hops are certainly brought to the forefront which is what I would want out of an PA of this nature. I prefer DIPAs above all else, however I loved this HF brew and I would certainly recommend it to anyone- don't let the APA style fool you, it still has tons of excellent hoppy character.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is out of this world. Beautiful and unique smell and taste. I glad I am fortunate enough to have it available close to where I am and have it on a regular basis.

Had a 8oz pour from growler

A-Pour is hazed pale golden amber with a perfectly tight white head. Great lacing.

S-Aroma is huge hop, well balanced pale malt and grain bill with notes of grass and a strong citrus punch.

T-Taste is a touch more balanced, very drinkable. Grain bill is more pronounced with a light pale malt. Hops are herbal, grapefruit and citrusy, grassy notes linger with a very light bitterness.

M-The mouthfeel is almost perfect, and the dryness at the end is outstanding for an APA. Great carbonation.

O-Overall an awesome APA a must get!

4.84/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Hill Farmstead Brewery - Edward

Another one of the fruits of our labor from our Greensboro weekend, this was a great brew for the nice weather we had, would definitely get this one again.

Look - Pours a slightly hazy copper amber with a rich soapy head. Abundant sticky as hell lacing, this was fresh from the brewery and enjoyed the same day. Minimal carbonation.

Smell - Tang and sour citrus (apricots, orange, lemon, nectarines) with a slight snappy malt. Mouth-watering.

Taste - Flavor blast of citrus creeps in and hits a pinnacle at hyper-sour apricot hops.

Mouthfeel - Full bodies but super drinkable, smooth and crisp. No booziness. Just enough carbonation to keep it snappy. Slightly sticky but in a good way.

Overall - Hill Farmstead never disappoints, this is a great Spring and Summer brew, refreshing and light for its style.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75