Edward | Hill Farmstead Brewery

4.43 w/ 2,682 ratings

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Edward (1917-2002) is our grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his five children. In his honor, this American Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Edward’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, with impressions of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edward.

Pale and Caramel malt; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; House Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

Added by abriggs1 on 04-27-2010

#199
Liked:
4.43/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,682 |  Reviews: 368

4.22/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.46/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.61/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

750ml growler filled yesterday. Thanks Alex :)

A: Pours a cloudy pale gold. Enormous frothy off-white head. Head retention is absolutely top-notch as it almost doesn't move at all. Easy five minutes before it has settled enough to drink. Heavy lacing to boot.

S: Oh yeah. Fresh, pungent and juicy. Lots of citrus - oranges specifically. Very light pine. A pleasure just to smell it.

T: Lots of floral hops up front with plenty of citrus backing. Spicy pine kicks in in the middle. The hop flavors don't so much as meld together as they have distinct starting and ending points. Very interesting. And delicious. Light grainy malt helps sweeten it up just enough. Mild wave of bitterness and then a crisp finish with lingering floral hops primarily. Very little aftertaste, just sort of a lingering grainy bitterness.

M: Surprisingly heavy bodied for 5.2%. I assume the unfiltered nature has given it a little more heft? Hard to say, it is shockingly heavy and silky smooth to boot. A little lower carbonation helps the mouthfeel too I think.

O: One hell of an APA. I've had most of the top 10 APAs on this site (currently anyway) and this one is right up there. It might just be the best of them. The mouthfeel especially is a notch above, so full and smooth it really makes this incredibly drinkable - further enhancing the APA character. Ridiculously good, on a level that I didn't even realize was possibly. Having said all of that, how could I give it anything but a 5 here?

4.29/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev -7.4%

4.33/5  rDev -2.3%

A-hazyopaque golden amber color with a small white head and some retentive lacing

S-citrus and some pine and herbaceous notes

T-citrus and pine with nice malt flavor and a solid bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp mouth feel

O-a great pale ale with solid mouth filling flavor

On tap at Warpigs, pre-CBC. Pale orange. Bitter, with notes of pine, citrus and tropical fruit hops.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

Big thanks goes out to mikesgroove for sharing this one with me! Had during Hobo Tasting #5 while sitting inside RJ Rockers! Served from growler into a Stone nonic. Poured a murky yellow-orange with a one finger bone white head that subsided to a very minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, and citrus hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. The citrus aspect on this one kept me coming back for more. I really like citrus in my beer (no, not like the citrus people like in their Blue Moons) so this one was a no-brainer for me. Really glad I got to try this one. Just hate Mike left me with a half a growler of this at Rockers when he left. I blame this growler for getting me drunk that night by the way... An absolute must try!

4.36/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.36/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's so ridiculous that anyone can be critical of HF because they make such amazing beer, any style... This is a beautiful hazy orange color and smells slightly more malty than expected but in case it's welcomed, awesomely juicy and at the same time earthy and pine come through.
Taste leaves something to be desired, full bodied and not fair because I had it just after Double Citra (which knocked my socks off)
The pine tastes like home but this is better because of how well HF is able to balance the usually harsh bitters. This is legit, definitely an amazing brew.

4.07/5  rDev -8.1%

Another beer brought by Sean to our UFC 126 gathering.

A - Burnt orange color with a white head that had some good lacing.

S - Bready malt, citrus hops, bittering resin. This is a great smelling hoppy APA, one of my favorite regular drinking styles.

T - Citrus which is slightly grapefruit, and some mild pine and floral notes. Resin is nice and bittering there on the end, and the malt backbone supports the hops well. If you gave this to my blind I would believe you if you said it was Daisy Cutter, albeit a slightly less flavorful version. Good stuff.

M - Just a touch watery, lighter side of medium bodied, healthy dose of carbonation.

D - Really good brew, this would be a perfect post-workout beer for me. good stuff i would drink regularly if I have the chance.

Edward from Hill Farmstead Brewery