Abner | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Abner (1867-1953) is our great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his fourteen children. In his honor, this Double IPA is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, a plethora of American hops, our ale yeast and water from Abner’s well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Aromatic and flowery, bursting with notes of citrus and pine, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Abner.

170 Theoretical IBU

Pale and Caramel Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

Added by kingcrowing on 05-12-2010

#24

Ratings: 2,660 |  Reviews: 390
4.13/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.13/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev -10.4%

Big thanks to Steve, fbm, for sending this out.

Trying to work through a growler alone. I don't know if that is going to happen.

Poured into my new Hill Farmstead flute (thanks Steve, the glass is sic).

Pours 1/2 finger of off-white head. Decent retention leaving some nice lacing down the side. Color is a hazy burnt golden orange. A really nice hue of orange.

Aroma: Very fruity and hoppy. It has a nice mango and pineapple profile up front with a bit of grapefruit in the background. It is also very hoppy. I get a lot of pine with some floral notes as well. No malts... Oh yea!

Taste: The east coast is finally starting to pump out some good DIPAs. This has west coast flavors written all over it. All hops, no malts. Very bitter. Floral and piney. Pineapple, mangoes, and oranges all show with a touch of grapefruit citrus. Nice.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and bitter. This dipa is more bitter than a lot, but the fruits provided some sweetness to help it out. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends dry and sticky.

Overall, this is a great dipa. I am really enjoying all the hops and fruits and I love that it isn't malty. I thought I might be able to get through the entire growler, but I can feel the alcohol hit as I look and realize I am barely at the half way point. Still, I really like it and a couple pints is pretty easy to take down.

Thanks Steve!

4.15/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev -9.7%

On tap @ HF anniversary. Hazy orangey gold pour with white head. Juicy hop aroma, very potent aromas of centennial along with a whole variety of other stuff I imagine. Taste is hoppy, with a light honey twist. Very refreshing palate, dry but not abusively so. EVery good IIPA

4.18/5  rDev -9.7%

My brother in law got this in a trade. It was fun to try something that we normally can't get in Wisconsin. This beer was very crisp and hoppy and all around, a very superb DIPA.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served out of a freshly filled (9/20/14) Hill Farmstead 750ml growler and into a HF stemmed glass.

L) Pours a hazy, tawny/orange with a average size white head.
S) Smells of beautiful hops and a bit of yeast thrown in there. I prefer mine a bit more citrusy, but this is still an amazing beer.
T) This is a well balance DIPA. Not too bitter and not too malty. Again, I would like a bit more citrus, but I'm just nit picking.
F) Nice. A bit dry.
O) Not going to lie, this did not live up 100% to my expectations. When drinking DIPA's I have to compare to MBC Dinner, which I thought was spectacular. Would I drink it again, yes, but I would not go out of my way to acquire again.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Had multiples on draft at Frida's in Stowe, VT while enjoying some excellent authentic Mexican.

Appeared a hazy light orange color with a two-finger white head. Left some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell is dominated by pine and grapefuit. Backed by some more citrusy notes - lemon and orange. Not as sweet smelling as I would have anticipated.

Taste starts off with a bitter punch, giving way to the more fruity sweetness in the finish. Very fresh tasting. If you let it sit on your tounge for a few, you can identify some different fruits and a maltiness to it.

Mouthfeel was nice. No heat whatsoever. Carbonation made this relatively strong, rich drink quite refreshing.

Still not quite up there with Heady and Kiwi Rising IMO, but a solid DIPA. Would like a bit more citrus to balance out the IBUs a bit.

4.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Reviewing the Abner from the Hill Farmstead Brewery.
Score: 93

Three week old growler served in a Half Acre tulip and enjoyed on 04/09/12. Review is from notes.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden-orange color with floaters. Pretty much opaque. One to two fingers of creamy cream-colored head at pour almost entirely settles -- save for the thin bubbly ring around the glass. Average laving, but awesome retention. 4/5

Smell: Bright, sticky tropical fruit citrus. Pineapple, peach, grapefruit and juicy orange. Lemonade and piney hops too. 4/5

Taste: Bitter citrus, lemon and pine. Grapefruit, spicy caramel, a touch of onion and pineapple juice. Layering prickly bitterness on the tongue. You can tell greatness was once here, but it has faded to mere "really really good"-ness. 4.25/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium-light carbonation. Heavy bitterness on the palate. Buttery/oily mouthfeel. Bitter finish. 4.5/5

Overall: I really regret letting this one sit around for three weeks (even though it was elegantly taped up and stuck in the fridge the whole time), but sometimes you just do not have time to get around to certain beers while they are freshest. This is one I am absolutely going to seek out again in the future because, despite the fact you can tell that it had fallen off from being something better, it was still delicious.

Recommendation: Fans of IPA's should seek this one out and drink it fresh. This is probably not the best starter craft beer for the casual drinker, however.

Pairings: Spicy/hot buffalo wings.

Cost: $10 for a 750 ml growler or $18 for a 2 liter growler (plus the deposit).

4.2/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.2/5  rDev -9.3%

750ml Swing Top - Thanks to pushkinwow!

Appearance - Slightly hazy amber colour with a large size frothy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for 4-5 minutes.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, grapefruit, lemons

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and the taste is made up of caramel and malts and hops. It also has apricots, lemons, grapefruits, and a bit of a grassiness. I can also pick up on some dry floral/woody notes and some lemon zest. It ends with a dry very hoppy aftertaste.

Overall - Another winner from these guys. Not as good as some of their other beers that I have tried but still a way above average brew. If you like more of a floral/dry (but still with some fruitiness) DIPA, you will love this stuff.

4.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Tasted side by side with the double citra at Capone's, I thought this beer a tad less impressive than that great beer. Regardless, this is another fine IPA from a brewer who is clearly a master at crafting delicious IPA's.

The beer pours a somewhat hazy orange amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is impressive, though it doesn't compare to Ephraim or the double cirtra. Still, I get considerable dry citrus, pepper and light pine on the nose. The flavor profile replicates the nose in this dry, impressively hoppy IPA. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a fairly long, bitter finish. Alcohol is well disguised in what is another outstanding IPA from the folk at FH. Excellent beer, but I thought it paled in comparison to some of its sibling at this event.

Edit from 4/17. Been some years since I last tried this beer, and really have nothing to add. If anything, the most recent version of Abner I tried (both at the brewery and around town in Stowe/Waterbury) was tad less impressive than the beer I sampled at Capone's back in 6/11. Still a nice beer, but during a recent visit to Stowe/Waterbury, I'm not sure it would make my top 10 of the different IPA's and DIPA's I tried (in fact, I thought the HF Harlan was superior to this beer). My impression is that the rest of the world has caught up to HF in this part of the world, at least when it comes to IPA's and DIPA's.

4.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Served on-tap at Capone's during the Hill Farmstead party during Philly Beer Week. I missed this one last time, glad I finally got to try it. Now all I need is Ephraim....

A - Pours hazy orange with a small half finger tall white head leaving small wisps of lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of citric hops, grapefruit, pine, bready malt, and a touch of caramel sweetness. The nose was good but when you have a Double Citra sitting right beside it there really isn't much of a comparison. Still very nice tho.

T - Starts off with a nice grapefruit kick quickly giving way to a mix of light citric hops, caramel sweetness and some dry chewiness. Very nice overall balance throughout. Finish is a touch dry with some lingering hop bitterness. Pretty good but not as good as the other hoppy HF beers.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Slick, chewy, feel with plenty of lingering hop bitterness in the finish.

O - I enjoyed this one quite a bit but when you compare it to the other hoppy Hill Farmstead beers it is clearly fourth or fifth best. Not knocking it one bit as it is still an awesome beer, just not as good as either of the Citra's or even Edward.

Abner from Hill Farmstead Brewery