Everett Porter | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Porter

Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

Added by Brad007 on 08-15-2010

Ratings: 2,655 |  Reviews: 396

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

I enjoyed this during our birthday stout tasting, enjoyed chilled from the growler purchased at the Brewery in a stout glass.

The color is dark brown almost black with thick beige cap with fine bead. The aroma is strong with malt and roasted aroma with a slight fruit and sweet cookie-like scent with mild cocoa and vanilla qualities. The feel is a bit on the sweeter side, but roasted presence is there with a nice roastd middle and medium carbonation with semi-dry smooth finish.

The taste is pretty outstanding I would say more impressive than that it just oozes the malt flavor with low roast and subtle caramel in the background with a light spice and very mild alcohol with sligth dark cocoa flavor as it finishes. Overall this is one of my favorites of this style and in the realm of all-time-favorite beers for me, exceptional in every way.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had a half pint of Everett Porter at the Prohibition Pig in Waterbury, VT while killing time waiting for the Hunger Mountain Co-Op to start selling Heady Topper at three one Friday afternoon.
This is an amazing beer and I can not understand why it is not in the Top 250. I t is way more than your usual porter. It is pitch black, under the blankets dark; with the sticky lacing that tells you "This is going to be really Good."
My second time having Everett, but this time I was sitting in a pub with time to kill, and time to fully enjoy this Best Porter Ever beer. Before I was hustling around the Boston Extreme Beerfest from one station to the next and did really get the chance to savor all that this beer has to offer. It is AWESOME!!!

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on Tap in Burlington a few weeks ago and now reviewing out of a bottle I picked up from HF.

Pours pitch black with a 1/4 inch khaki espresso head that dissipates quickly but remains thin through to finish. Minimal lacing is left behind in my pint glass but that's okay.

Smell is complex and robust. Coffee, Chocolate, oak, char, vanilla, toffee, even some spicy pepper notes (could be my sinus' though with Spring allergy) backing dark fruit and faint booze & hop resin.

Taste follows the nose well. This beer awakens once warmed for 10 minutes. My first cold sips were muted but the chocolate and vanilla, booze, toffee become more pronounced when nearing room temp. The faint pepper zing dances on tongue for a few seconds after swallowing and I'm left with a nice biscuit, booze, and malt presence.

Mouthfeel...hands down the best I've ever experienced....Just ahead of Imp Biscotti BBA. So very silky smooth with just enough carb to keep things interest without being overbearing.

Overall this is the best representation of a style I've ever encountered and the best non BBA beer I've ever had. These guys are definitely the mark for most every style they produce.

Everett Porter from Hill Farmstead Brewery