Everett Porter | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Porter

Everett (1908-1939) was our grandfather’s brother; Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to him and his 13 siblings. In his honor, this Porter is crafted from American malted barley, English and German roasted malts, American hops, our ale yeast, and water from our well. It is unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Decadent in its depth, with a complex backbone of chocolate, coffee, and malty sweetness, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Everett.

Pale, Caramel, and Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Columbus hops; Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

Added by Brad007 on 08-15-2010

Reviews: 380 | Ratings: 2,561
4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a growler on multiple occasions. Deep, rich brown/black in color with tan head that laces nicely. Finish is slightly malty and roasty. My favorite of all the HFB offerings. Its balance of subtle coffee, chocolate and roastiness makes for an amazing experience.

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours black with a brown head of about 2 fingers, dark head for a porter. Retains easily at a finger and leaves some lacing behind.

Wow, intense smell. Fresh espresso beans right out of the bag, caramel, some roasted malt and hints of dark fruit.

Taste somehow beats the awesome nose, this stuff is excellent. Coffee, vanilla, roasted malt and milk chocolate all balanced to perfection. I don't know how they got some of the flavors without actually adding coffee, but damn this is one tasty beverage.

Silky smooth mouthfeel, perfect balance, no alcohol at 7.5%. This drinks like an iced coffee concoction without being overly sweet.

A damn fine way to end the fest for me, this was my favorite of the beers I tried with an honorable mention to the Edward Pale Ale. I'd love to try this again from the bottle.

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: The body is a very dark brown with just the faintest edge translucence. Even a mild pour produces two fingers of tan head with excellent retention and lace left in its wake.

S: Roasted coffee -- done in that perfect way that brings out beans and smoke without char and vegetables. It's so prevalent that I find myself scanning the bottle to see if this, like Earl, is made with coffee. It is not. Whatever grain selection or yeast went to work here, it did its job right. Milk chocolate (a mild lactic sweetness), smoke, and dark fruit are also evident.

T: As in the nose, this beer is quite coffee-forward, though I'm aware at this point that the flavor is an effect of grain and yeast doing their work. I'm extremely impressed by its nuances of smoke, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate. A lightly spicy bite in the finish complements the resurgent smoke flavor. Wow.

M: 7.5% ABV isn't a heavyweight for my tasting group, but it's certainly a bit bigger than your usual beer. Yet Everett shows no trace of alcohol, perhaps due to the slightly fuller-than-medium body it boasts. It's not completely smooth; the peppery bite in the finish gives it a mild harshness that is unusual for a porter. I'm torn, because the pepper adds so much to the flavor, yet it detracts from the mouthfeel. I don't care. I'm rounding up.

O: I simply could not stop sipping this. Rarely do I encounter a beer I could not put down. This is one. Seek this out. It's a gold standard for the style.

4.86/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle of the recent batch into an HF oversized glass.

A: Black, really black. Not much head but retains well.

S: Roasty comes to mind. Smooth coffee smell.

T: A porter can't get better than this. Perfect roasted coffee and malty goodness. I would take this over most stouts any day.

M: Good mouthfeel. Some porters are too thin, Everett does not have that problem.

O: I wanted to make my first review Everett because it is my favorite "shelf" beer. I can't imagine a more perfect representation of the style. If only Shaun would can this ( I know, it'll never happen.) Seek this beer out whenever it is available. It's not as hyped as the Saisons and limited stuff, but its worth it.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had a half pint of Everett Porter at the Prohibition Pig in Waterbury, VT while killing time waiting for the Hunger Mountain Co-Op to start selling Heady Topper at three one Friday afternoon.
This is an amazing beer and I can not understand why it is not in the Top 250. I t is way more than your usual porter. It is pitch black, under the blankets dark; with the sticky lacing that tells you "This is going to be really Good."
My second time having Everett, but this time I was sitting in a pub with time to kill, and time to fully enjoy this Best Porter Ever beer. Before I was hustling around the Boston Extreme Beerfest from one station to the next and did really get the chance to savor all that this beer has to offer. It is AWESOME!!!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Unbelievable chocolate aroma. By far the smoothest porter I've had... Like a chocolate, robust shake. Big shoutout to Barry for this one. Worth the hype for sure. You're the man!

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Pours pitch back with a full brownish head.
S: The nose is probably the best thing about this exceptional beer. Vanilla, caramel, coconut, dark fruits, chocolate, coffee, graham cracker.
T: At first, I get bitter coffee-like notes and sweet lactose. Toffee, chocolate and vanilla/oak. The finish has the traditional earthy hop presence of a robust porter with a slight alcohol tinge. The hops are kept in check by the sweet chocolate notes.
M: Decadent. Extremely smooth and creamy, but very very drinkable.
O: the best porter I've had the pleasure of trying. As the beer warms, different flavors are accentuated, and so I looked forward to each sip. I need to seek this out again.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

About as perfect as a porter gets. Great nose filled with notes of chocolate, roasted malts and barley, and a hint of coffee. Taste is a great balance of light and refreshing, but with a nice creaminess you expect in a good porter. Not clingy and extremely drinkable. I'd visit this porter everyday if I could.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Enjoyed on tap at the Armsby Abbey during Hill Farmstead tap takeover. Reviewed from notes.

A - Poured a thick, oily black with a nice mocha head that reduces to a thick creamy blanket leaving some nice light side lacing in its wake.

S - Excellent aromas here with strong chocolate and coffee along with vanilla and roasted malts. So, so inviting.

T - Taste is spot on with the nose. Super coffee notes along with a TON of vanilla. I mean, a TON of vanilla. Lots of chocolate and roasted malts. This is amazing.

M - Mouthfeel is excellent, nice and silky velvety smooth. So enjoyable.

O - Overall this is a very, very good porter. Love the vanilla and everything else that was in this porter. Could drink this stuff all day long! Easily the highlight of the night.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Drove up there a few weeks ago and feel now that I should have bought more. Don't ask to trade me as nothing will beat this.

A-deep black with a nice 1 finger fluffy tan head.

S-lots of roastiness and almost a subtle coffee/chocolate note. Toasty malt also, very earthy smell goes with it.

T-Very smooth creamy and delicious velvety chocolate and roast come in and smooth right down the throat. I don't give 5's ever but this one is damn perfect.

M-very thick and viscous. very velvety and smooth and creamy. very nice.

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured this into a snifter.

A: Pours a crude oil, black color with about a finger or 2 of khaki colored head. Not much lacing left along the glass as I drink away.

S: The smell of coffee and roasted malts overtake my nose. A slight whiff of smoke is also present. Some faints smells of dark fruits come through, though not as prominent as the coffee and roasted malts. Good stuff here.

T: Wow! What an experience this is! The flavors of coffee and roasted malts are incredible. Also there is a good smokiness at the end which is something that I've never tasted in any porter I've ever had. The dark fruits that I mentioned in the smell section come through in a mild way. The taste of this porter is like nothing I've ever tasted and it is definitely the best tasting porter I've ever had. This is truly awesome. There isn't an incredible amount of depth, but honestly it's not really needed with the flavors that this brew exudes.

M: A medium to heavy mouthfeel. This beer is so damn creamy and smooth. A very balanced beer and I've yet to taste any alcohol at all. A slightly dry finish that lingers, but not for too long. A pleasant feel.

Overall: This is by far the best porter I have ever had in my beer drinking life. I am truly unsure if I'll ever have one that can even contend with this. The smell of brewed coffee along with the smokiness that comes through when I drink this just make Everett an absolute treat to taste. I only bought 2 bottles at Hill Farmstead and right now I am kicking myself for not grabbing at least 2 more. What an amazing beer. Awesome job, Shaun Hill and co.!!

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks csustar001 for the trade! Pours black with a quickly dissipating mocha head and decent lacing. Aroma full of coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts with just a hint of hops. As far as taste goes, this is the most flavorful porter I've ever had! Chocolate, coffee, licorice, cinnamon, stone fruits, vanilla, just outstanding! Medium bodied with light carbonation. Super smooth and easy drinking. Overall, hype or no, this is the finest porter out there!

500ml bottle split with some local beer geeks 17/7/11

A near black with a little cola at the edge, nice dark tan head falls to a thin film leaving a few specks of lace

S a little smokey with a chocolate blast, very big chocolate nose, smells like something I want to eat

T even better then the smell, somehow there's even more chocolate and a blast of coco powder, with some slight coffee and it reminds me of chocolate covered raisins, pretty rich and I wouldn't change anything

M thick liquid and bubbles cream it up a fair bit, quite rich and there's zero booze detected, what impresses me the most is the length of time the flavors sticks to your mouth, toothpick anyone?

O this is one of the better examples of the style, robust is an understatement, this is a wicked brew without doubt,

this one blew me away, I can't imagine anyone not loving this beer, search for it boys and girls its worth it

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

You really can't ever go wrong with Hill Farmstead's selection
Pour - black with about two diners of beige head. Thick lacing
Smell - coffee, chocolate
Taste - same as smell plus some malt
Overall - amazing porter. Very drinkable

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

When the first person who ever brewed a "Porter" carried out to do just that, this is the beer they were trying to make. Dark, rich, smooth, deftly balanced roast malt sweetness and hop bitterness, smooth and drinkable. I would be surprised if I ever tasted a better version of the style.

4.81/5  rDev +7.6%

This is one of the best beers I have ever had. If this was readily available to me I'd likely cease to drink any other porter. Instead, I am on the constant search for something that is even remotely a shadow of this.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottled: unk

Pours a nice black with a sheet of mocha foam. Smells robust son! Chocolate, coffee, roasted barley, coffee (faint), cocoa powder, graham and more toasted malts. Flavor follows suit with a good earthy roasted character, a strong cocoa flavor, nice bits of coffee nib, and a sweetness I'm surprised at that is transient in nature and does not linger. Great flavor. Full bodied with tight and sharp carb loosely scattered, this leaves your mouth coated and satisfied, yet wanton for the next sip. This is a world class beer, and I think the best porter I've ever had. Sincerely wish I had a clone recipe.

4.79/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass:

Appearance: very dark brown, bordering on black, with a thick, beige head. Lots of retention and lacing, with the head sticking around for awhile. Beautiful beer, perfectly executed.

Aroma: TONS of roast. If Epiphany and Congress St. are the standard bearers for hop aroma, this is the standard bearer for roasted dark malt. So inviting and warm. Layers of milk chocolate and light coffee underneath.

Taste: following the smell, lots of roasted malt, with some bitter chocolate. It's delicate and not overwhelming in sweetness or roastiness. Solid base of malt, but not sweet at all. Some charred, burnt coffee-esque flavor.

Feel: Medium-bodied, with a relatively crisp finish for a porter. The perfect compliment to the flavor and smell, it definitely elevates the brew.

Overall: I try to rate beers based on adherence to style. A 5 to me is literally the perfect embodiment of a style, with anything above 5 being a beer that all others within that style are compared to. This is one of those for porters. It is incredibly complex, delicate, and warming. Excellent!

4.79/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: Black with a espresso crema-like frothy head that creates beautiful lacing.
S: Big robust smell with hints of coffee, chocolate and dark fruits.
T: So bold and delicious. So much complexity with so many different flavors bursting through.
F: Big body with a silky feel. Nicely bitter and it has an amazing sticky finish.
O: This beer changed the way I think about porters and what they can be. This is a best-in-class beer. In my opinion this isn't just the best porter in the world but one of the best beers in the world.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served on tap at the Resivoir in Waterbury, VT. 10oz pour into a snifter.

This was an amazing porter. Deep black with a nice tan head. Good retention and lacing. Aroma of roasted malts, toffee and chocolate maybe? Taste some malty sweetness but not overpowering. Some chocolate, coffee and roast. The mouthfeel is where this beer is king! Extremely smooth and full bodied. No harshness or overpowering carbonation here.
Overall this was the best damn porter I've ever had!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Friend picked this up at the brewery for me. Poured from 750ml growler into tulip glass. Thin caramel-colored head quickly dissipated. Smell was subtle roast malt with hints of chocolate. The taste in awesome... decadently sweet chocolate with balanced flavor from the roast malts. The columbus hops also keep the chocolate sweetness from being too overpowering. Easily my favorite porter.

A: black, dark, thick
S: roasty malt, carmel, chocolate
T: similar to nose, very rich and roasty, amazing depth, very balanced
M: thick, rich, roasty, heavy, good carb and smooth
O: a growler filled 5 days ago, held up perfectly....wonderful roasty and malty flavors come through throughout....one of, if not the most balanced and well crafter American porters ever!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Dark brown, almost black opaque with a nice tan head and good lacing.

S - Coffee, sweet caramel, roasted malt, and earthy tones

T - Big bitterness, dark chocolate, a touch of espresso, some oak. The swallow brings everything together, with big chocolate bitterness and charred toast.

M - Full bodied. Silky smooth. Low side of moderate carbonation. Semi-dry finish.

O - This is the definition of what a porter is. If you had to choose a beer to define a category this is it when it comes to porters for me. Another solid brew from HF.

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%

On tap at HF a while back.

Oh dear. This is the best American porter I've had in recent memory. Pours a near black with a large mocha head with impressive lacing and retention. Aroma is complex and subtle, a blend of chocolate, roast malt, coffee, dark fruit, mild bitterness, and smoke. Flavor is similar, with roast and smoke providing a strong backbone for the sweet chocolate and dark fruit. Medium thick, with soft full bodied and soft carbonation. Edmund used to be my favorite American Porter. Now Everrett is.

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%

Growler poured into my Hill Farmstead glass... Pours a dark brown, almost black with a nice medium tan head. Good carbonation, retention is nice, no lacing... Aroma is outstanding, the epitome of what a porter should smell like, perfect coffee, a hint of alcohol, and dark fruits, simply perfect... The taste is equally perfect. Only thing that I wish it had was smoke to come to close to the Captain Lawrence Imperial Smoked porter. Roasted coffee with hints of chocolate, a slightly bitter finish. Did I say perfect?

Everett Porter from Hill Farmstead Brewery