Ephraim | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Ephraim (1823-1913) was our great-great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery resides several hundred feet downhill from the land that he and his father settled. In his honor, this Imperial India Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, buckets of American hops, our ale yeast and water from our well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Intensely aromatic and saturated with resinous hop flavor, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Ephraim.

280 Theoretical IBU

Pale Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops, Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

Added by Kegatron on 09-28-2010

#63

Ratings: 1,040 |  Reviews: 238

The hallmark of HF beers is restraint, sophistication and a flawless execution. Ephraim is a bit peculiar by this standard. It is a bit too boozy, bitter and big. Distinctly lacking in those great tropical fruit/floral notes that the best HF hoppy beers have. I suspect another reason this is slightly disappointing is that the IPA game has consistently upped the bar since Ephraim stepped on the scene. Not a bad beer, but also not up to the considerable hype either.

Mista brought it all to Darkness Day, thanks! My only "tick" from the said event.

Hazy, amber color. Duh. Looks like any and every Hill Farmstead hoppy beer and I am pleased just by the looks! Grainy and piney aroma. Very clean bitterness but well supported by a clean malt base, if that doesn't seem oxymoron-ic. A good hop flavor heavy on pine sap and citrus rind. Glad to have had it. Thank you again!

This was malty for my tastes and for most HF hoppy beers. Felt more like a west cost IPA with the malt and pine characteristics. One of my least favorite HF hoppy beers.

4.03/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a 750 growler into a snifter. Thanks Rich for hooking me up with this.

Pours an amber slightly hazy body with a big frothy white head that reduces to leave heaving lacing and retention.

Aromas are floral, resinous, light citrus, dank, piney. Taste is very floral, herbal, grassy, finishes dry. Medium body with medium carbonation.

Glad I got to try it. Delicious DIPA from HF.

4.03/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer comes in a pale amber, medium haze.

The aroma is dank, sweet orange peel, biscuity malt, marmalade sweetness, sticky resin, pine, dried herbs.

The beer continues with an underlying theme of dank resin, onto bitter pine and herbs on the finish. It is covered with biscuity sweetness up front, bitter grapefruit peel in marmalade.

Ephraim is a beer like no other Hill Farmstead I've encountered. Reminders of Enjoy By, Double Jack, and Hopslam come to mind, but still, the beer offers a level of drinkability and gentle qualities unlike those.

4.03/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a translucent gold with soapy white head. Some sweetness in the aroma. There is a lot of sweet malt up front. Like a fruit snack base sweetness. The piney hop finish arrives on the end, providing some nice complexity. The mouthfeel is thin though, which kind of takes away from that for me. Overall, this is a beer I would have killed for 3-4 years ago. Now, it's just a good imperial IPA.

4.03/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

4.03/5  rDev -11.8%

Big thanks to mtardiff for providing this gem in trade. Marc is an excellent trade partner.

Pours with a finger of thick tight bright white head that shows excellent retention. The beer is a bright clear brass color with no visible carbonation. Some nice lace clings to the glass. At times the deposits are quite thick.

Bright sweet juicy aroma. Not quite as floral as I would have guessed. A touch of grapefruit, but much more juicy sweet thick fruit. A slight whiff of the alcohol to come.

Lots going on here. The flavor is as thick as the aroma. Initial sweetness, flips to thick fruit and then a moment of alcohol. This then melds into a nice finish that is part light malt and resin like bitterness from thick green hops. No doubt a nice beer, but the alcohol is a bit too present for my liking. A pretty thick dose of mango comes through as I drink this. This mixes well with the alcohol flavor.

Pretty thick and sticky DPA. Again the word juicy applies.
I am surprised that this beer is getting some of the highest scores from Hill Farmstead. It’s good, but does not reach the heights of some of their other brews. Having said that, this is rarified air since most of their beers are quite excellent.

Thanks Marc

4.05/5  rDev -11.4%

I received this from a trade and split it at Max's during Baltimore Beer Week. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden/light amber with a half finger of white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet and extremely hoppy. Some malt, but mostly citrus hops. There is a mild burn at the end.

Taste: This beer can only be described as a hop bomb. Sweet citrus hops crush the tongue immediately. The finish is very bitter with a taste of citrus peel and some alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was a good beer, but I liked Abner more when I tried that. This is intense and I couldn't have done more than one glass.

4.05/5  rDev -11.4%

4.06/5  rDev -11.2%

4.06/5  rDev -11.2%

4.07/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a growler into a snifter. Thanks goes out to gn0sis for sending this my way. Split with airohead2001 and z-pack.

A: Gold in color with a 1 finger white head that has pretty good retention and lacing. Typically, I prefer a little more amber in my DIPAs.

S: There's lots of tropical fruits and some citrus on the nose. Mostly I get pear, orange, and strawberry with a little bit of guava and banana. There's some earthiness at the back end.

T: When this one is very cold there's a lot of sweet fruit and citrus flavors, but as it warms it becomes chalkier. Actually it becomes quite chalky as it warms. I would really recommend drinking this as cold as possible, as that is when I think it's at its best. Also, while there are great fruit and some citrus flavors, this beer is slightly sweeter than I like for the style

M: I thought the carbonation and viscosity were appropriate and above average, although I wasn't a big fan of the aftertaste. It was just too chalky at the finish, and not as crisp and clean as I would have liked. Also, while the start of the beer is great, I like a little bit of hop bite at the end, and I feel that this beer doesn't have to much of a bitterness at the finish. In summary, it's a sweet, fruity, pretty good DIPA.

O: Overall, if this was on tap near me I would probably have it frequently. If I had to trade a difficult to come by beer for it, I most likely wouldn't do it. In terms of drinkability, this beer gets a lot of credit for going down easy and masking the 10.5% ABV.

Ephraim from Hill Farmstead Brewery