Twilight Of The Idols | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Porter

Twilight of the Idols is our winter porter. We brew Twilight each autumn, with a touch of locally roasted coffee and cinnamon, and age it on a blend of select vanilla beans. Originally conceived with a friend in 2009 while brewing in Denmark, the name of this annual release is inspired by the title of one of the last texts written by one of our philosophical idols, Friedrich Nietzsche.

Added by kingcrowing on 10-28-2010

#454

Ratings: 1,104 |  Reviews: 193
4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Pour is black and opaque, tons of tight caramel brown head. Nose is roasted coffee, assertive vanilla and rich chocolate, light char, fair spice to it. Taste is similar in comparison to the nose. Same aspects, coffee is light with the roast slightly stronger. Very rich chocolate and vanilla, light peppery tang to it. Balanced sweetness subtly behind showing a deep malt presence. Body is lighter, carb is assertive with a juicy texture and semi dry finish.

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

500 ml bottle into a snifter. Courtesy, I believe, of Mike. Thanks buddy!

Holy gusher...this bottle would make Vesuvius blush. Big piping flowage just rises and bubbles and oozes and puffs its might chest. Once in the glass there's equal pars beer and head for quite a spell.

The initial scent of plastic tubing really pissed me off. I've had a flat Birth of Tragedy and was going to shake my paws at the sky in a vain attempt at remedying the situation if this beer had qc issues. Upon settling a light creaminess emerges. Smooth mocha mingles with the perfect cup of coffee where the half and half meets the roast and just copulates like the filthy bitches they both know they are. You dirty, dirty...I digress. The smell is quite enticing. Vanilla beans join the now gentle menage a trois, as the first two combatants lie in a sweaty embrace.

What we have here is an incredibly smooth drinking porter. Rather than suffering from waif-like body, as some porters are bound to disappoint, the body is both creamy and fluffy. The light creamed coffee, mocha, and vanilla beans are soft in their presentation. However, each delicately plays nicely together allowing one another to shine in their respective competencies. The finishes shows a spike of cinnamon and a flash of alcohol that belies a vanilla fade. Thank god this doesn't fall prey to that fake off putting extracty vanilla abomination that can absolutely piss all over an otherwise good beer.

I'm not sure what's not to like about this. Judge on its merits as a porter, this is an amazing beer. I enjoyed this far more than Birth of Tragedy.

3.55/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle poured into tulip 28/4/13 cheers Rutager for the bottle

A gushed upon opening but I managed to get it all in my glass with a massive mocha head that has great retention leaving a few chunks of lace, the liquids nearing black

S has some nice chocolate, vanilla, coffee and licorice, but an infections setting in with a little funk being noticeable, its not too bad but I doubt the funky notes are intentional

T anise and licorice are a little stronger and has a little spice I can't place, a little mint I didn't smell, chocolates not as dark and I want to love it but there's some bretty funk in the background that seems out as place

M a few extra bubbles and a little thin for the color, finish has a little char to it and still just a little funk

O even a bad bottles still decent? I'll need to read some reviews but I'm pretty sure what I'm drinking isn't what HF intended, even with a little funk there's still enough nice roasty notes to make it enjoyable

quite disappointing when you open a top 250 for the first time and it just isn't what you expect, I'm almost certain I got a bad bottle so please send me all you HF so I can do some quality control

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A- pours black with a thick brown head .
S- coffee, vanilla, dark roasted malts.
T- a lot of vanilla and coffee, bitter chocolate malts.
M- medium body with a a nice creamy mouthfeel.
O- great easy drinking winter seasonal. A lot of taste and great body.

2.75/5  rDev -36.5%

Fall/Winter 2012 bottle sampled 4/20/13.

Pours a dark hazy black colored body with a smallish khaki head that settles to a whisp of khaki foam.

Aromas begin with dark roasted malt, cocoa, medium roasted coffee beans and vanilla. Not getting much cinnamon and as much vanilla as I would have expected/hoped.

The tastes follow the aroma with some rich, darker cocoa, medium roasted coffee and light vanilla flavor which emerges more as it warms. Roasted malt asserts itself more and the cocoa dissipates over time.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. The finish is lightly roasted and balanced overall.

Overall this was a very good beer but not exceptional. I wonder if the age or storage prior to me acquiring it was a contributing factor but I will never know. Solid but not up to the elevated expectations I have come to expect from HF.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

On-tap at Stoutfest 2013, Armsby Abbey. Served in a tulip glass.

Pour is black with about a half-finger of tan head. It retains as a mostly full cap leaving some good lace behind.

Solid, well-rounded scent with decent potency. Just about even distribution of chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, with a good amount of spices and vanilla.

Taste follows suit nicely. The cinnamon is noticeable but nicely restrained and unique, definitely gives it a 'winter' feel. Cocoa and coffee are just about equal, with vanilla and roasted malts there as well.

Nice, full mouthfeel with highish carbonation. No alcohol, fitting for a highish-ABV porter.

This was quite good, a very stellar porter with a wintery twist - loved the amount of cinnamon used here, just the right amount - though one glass would be enough for me I think. More well-rounded and solid than the bourbon-barrel aged treatment (birth of Tragedy).

Twilight Of The Idols from Hill Farmstead Brewery