Holger Danske | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Added by Thorpe429 on 11-14-2010

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Holger Danske

Look 9/10
Smell 18/20
Taste 37/40
Feel 9/10
Drinkability 16/20

Overall 89/100

Had on tap at Prohibition Pig and Blackback. I always feel bad deducting points for a style I'm not crazy about. I like smoke... don't love it and had it up against a few other HF brews. Was still pretty amazing. Just felt like the smoke was out of place. More like an experiment, and yet still about a 90 in my book. Speaks volumes for HF~

4.44/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Whetstone Station in Brattleboro VT.

Damn good beer - thought about getting a side of bacon to go alongside it.

It looks like a dark beer. That's because it is one.

The strong smell of smokiness is due to the malts being smoked over beech wood I'm told - which explains the pleasant campfirey quality there.

The taste is complex, there's a fair amount of acridity, but it's well balanced by a light caramelly sweetness and nice clean hop bitterness... it's a taste reminiscent of a bitter dark chocolate in that way. The smokiness is powerful without being overwhelming or off-putting. I feel like this beer is getting away with something.

The mouthfeel is phenomenal - it's at once smooth as silk and a little stingy with carbonation - it's got some kind of funky chemistry going on too, it'll strip the enamel off your teeth (but you know, in a nice way).

Overall this is a great beer. I've had several from Hill Farmstead here at Whetstone, and up till now my experience has been that they're always very crisp & clean with no frills... This is the first one I've tried that had anything I'd consider a 'frill.'

The smokiness in this is strong enough that I can't say I'd drink it every day, regardless of the obvious quality of the ingredients and process... It's a great beer - but I don't think I'll have another, if that puts it in perspective a bit.

Holger Danske from Hill Farmstead Brewery