Riwaka Pale Ale | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

An American Pale Ale bittered, flavored, and dry hopped exclusively with one of our favorite hop varieties: New Zealand's rare and difficult to obtain Riwaka!

Added by Brad007 on 12-31-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 34 | Ratings: 164
4.68/5  rDev +6.6%

On tap from a friend's kegerator. Picked up at HF last week (thanks Shaun and Phil!). Multiple glasses. Looks similar to all HF pale ales, which is a nice, vibrant orange with a fluffy white head. The aroma is fantastic. Combines the grassy, dank, earthy hops traits with the citrus and tropical. The taste follows the nose. Piney, earthy, tropical and just delicious. The flavor profile is one of the best I've had (and a single hop at that!). At 5.2%, this packs a mountain of flavor. I could drink this forever.

Too bad these hops are so scarce. I hope the next crop of Riwaka is more abundant and this is made again in the future. Perhaps even an imperial Riwaka...

4.7/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at HF Harvest Fest and growler. Hazy gold pour with white head. Super powerful nose, spicy hops, very very citrusy - quite unique hop aroma, definitely new to me, a kind of mix of spice, lemon and grapefruit. Pretty exotic. Taste is sharp and hoppy, very fresh, citrus zest and grapefruity finish. Super tasty APA. My favourite with What is Enlightenment.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Very excited about this one. The beer is similar in appearance to most other HF IPAs. Orange with a white head. The aroma is fabulous, with a huge hop presence. Light in body, with a nice bouquet of citrus. A tad sweet, but not too. So drinkable. Fluffy and soft on the palate. Elegant bitterness in the finish. Overall, this was simply terrific.

4.79/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Prohibition Pig weekend of 2012 Harvest Festival.

Pours a cloudy light golden amber color with a generous white head, great retention and lacing. Aroma and flavor took me by surprise as I wasn't expecting something quite so unique while being exactly what expected. Loads of tropical and juicy citrus hops, but there was a slight tropical leafiness as well that added a slight spice and earthiness that enhanced the juicy and sweet flavor (without distracting). One of my favorite HF I/A PAs.

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I actually had the Riwaka Single hop while I was at Hill but that isn't listed as an option so I will just post here. The Riwaka was my favorite I had while on my venture to Hill. Every beer I got there was phenominal. I left with several 64 oz growlers but I really regret not getting 2 of the Riwaka!

4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

Wow, I am being constantly surprised with Vermont's IPAs. And this one doesnt dissappoint. This one pours a yellow/orangish hue, normal white two finger head. Aroma is of nice citrus and hops, clean smell. I like it a lot. The taste is awesome and follows the nose to a T. Mouthfeel is balanced and silky, dances off of the tongue. Its a lower ABV, which makes this thing so damn drinkable and enjoyable. Its a true champion of an IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a dark golden, orange color. A crisp white head with nice lacing.

Bright aroma of mixed citrus... mostly lemon and grapefruit.

Taste is well balanced with robust hops, bitterness, malts and a clean finish.

Medium body with soft carbonation and exception drinkability.

Note: IPA brewed with Riwaka hops from New Zealand.

Pours a mild amber color, bordering on orange/ruby red with a thin head into my glass.

A heavy citrus presence greets the nose, mainly grapefruit and mango. Unique.

Grapefruit and mango notes greet the tongue. Certainly not as strong as sorachi ace with more of a balance. Buttery malt shows up near the edge of the tongue.

Mouthfeel is dominated by the buttery malt. Very chewy with a texture that amazes.

Shaun has done it again. Riwaka is an amazing IPA that will challenge your palate. I just have to give this a perfect 5. I'm constantly amazed by what he can do and this IPA is a must-try!

Overall: This IPA manages to be very drinkable while still having a complex profile that will make your palate work.

Appearance: Darke golden color, with many orange hues.

Aroma: Lots of fruit, mainly citrus but I pick up some tropical notes as well.

Taste: Outstanding, I picked up many different fruit flavors, similar to the aromas, with a heavy tropical note on the end. The malt profile does not stick out but rather supports the showcasing of this type of hop very well.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nicely balanced, fairly light but still very satisfing.

Drinkability: Extreamly high, I managed to finish off a growler in one night, the balance of the beer is tremendous and the flavors make you keep on wanting to pour one more pint.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last