Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Art | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Art is the wine barrel fermented and aged version of Arthur (1922-2005), our grandfather's youngest brother as well as the name of our rustic farmstead ale. In honor of Arthur, we mindfully blend his namesake beer from French oak wine barrels that have been aged and conditioned for between 1 and 3 years. This is the standard that reflects, redefines and guides the progressive vision for Hill Farmstead.

Added by t0rin0 on 03-02-2011

#194

A: Gold, white head that sticks around forever. Hazy, great looking beer. S: Funky...so much funk. That Hill yeast smell, some oak and lemon. T: Lemon, funk, oak, hay, basement...all I want in a beer. M: Carb is right where it needs to be. Keeps it soft and finishes dry, making you want more. O: This beer is exactly what I wanted it to be and more. It's oaky, funky and perfect. Way to go Shaun, you never disappoint

Perfect slighly hazy golden color. Was extremely active in the bottle before pouring. The smell was pleasantly funky and tart...you can smell it the second it pours. The taste blew me away...zero flaws as far as I'm concerned. Everything good about Arthur with the added complexity and tartness from the wine barrels. Even has a bit of vanilla flavor in the aftertaste which was very nice. Less carbed than I was expecting and that's not a bad thing...almost creamy, which I didn't expect either but I really really enjoy. This may just be the best beer I've ever had. Wish I could drink this every day.

4.99/5  rDev +11.1%

Latest rating of batch 3, which I enjoyed more so than 2 (which I also loved). The barrel flavor and acidity balance on this is just an unparalleled treat. Soft mouthfeel, bright, refreshing, with a nice tinge of tart on the finish.

4.98/5  rDev +10.9%

4.98/5  rDev +10.9%

As perfect as you can get in a barrel aged saison, more of a dry wine presence then Ann(probably due to the honey in Anna)

Found it very interesting having it next to Art B3. Those of us that prefer Arthur to Anna, actually preferred Ann to Art. And those that prefer Anna actually preferred Art. Now we all agreed that both are hard 5's, so we are talking very small preferences.

4.96/5  rDev +10.5%

4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

4.94/5  rDev +10%

Awesome beer. Wine barrel present, expands on what I love about Arthur. Soft, citrus presence. Makes me want more and more of this. Would bang again!

4.94/5  rDev +10%

World class saison with wonderful carb. Tartness of a green apple with a crisp dryness that really invites additional drinks. The smell is funky, Bretty, and lightly fruity. Impeccable balance and crispness. Fantastic beer.

Art from Hill Farmstead Brewery