Double Galaxy | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Imperial Single Hop IPA hopped exclusively with Galaxy.

Added by sisuspeed on 04-02-2011

Reviews: 203 | Ratings: 1,260
4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

ok, i haven't had this for about a year, so i'm going from memory. But the memory is a beautiful thing. This beer was "SUMMER IN A GLASS"! big fruity grapefruit aroma just radiating out of the top of the glass. the taste was bright grapefruity hops. summer in Vermont is SHORT and a glass of this beer helps you to pause and take in and enjoy every moment you can and think "hey, i can walk down the street in shorts and a t-shirt and feel just fine!"

this is the land of the Alchemist's wonderful Heady Topper (which i am enjoying right now) and the idea of a Hill Farmstead Double Galaxy brings a smile to my face.

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

There are a few beers that defy review. This is one, but I still managed some notes. Some notes. Not a lot. And I was sharing a 64oz growler with only two others. Big big thanks to myspoonistoobig for driving to VT to get this beer at Hill Farmstead. It's just freaking epic.

Brewed - as the name states - with the single hop strain of Galaxy, the beer has an orange hazy hue with a wonderful off white head. The lacing sustains as it sits there looking like just another good beer. If you're a finding fault person, you had better find fault here: there aren't many other places. Because it's way better than just another beer. The aroma smashes you on the first sip. It's a mix of citrus first, followed by pine and grass. But honestly my notes aren't much of a help here. "Smell: 5.0. Amazing. Pure joy."

So apparently they put joy in this brew. They must, because Praise the Lord the taste follows the aroma. The hops are tamed and tempered by the malt, but also enriched. I can't describe it with the little beercabulary I have. It feels perfect, it drinks perfect.

Simply put, try this beer.

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

Look - That wonderful New England style look. Murky, cloudy, turbid. Love it.
Smell - A tropical juice bomb! Pineapple, mangos, orange, citrus. Everything I love about an aroma on a beer.
Taste - So amazingly juicy. Pineapple and mangos lead the way. Citrus, some grapefruit and some orange come thru as well.

Overall - The best from Hill Farmstead I've had.....by far! A top 5 DIPA for me without a doubt, possibly a top 5 beer period!

Drank on-tap at Armsby Abbey, Worcester, MA
Served in a snifter

The beer poured a super cloudy, peach color and was topped by a small, flimsy white head. Spiderwebs of lacing coated the glass.

The aroma was amazingly fruity and pungent. Tons of tropical fruits, including mango, papaya and pineapple. Super strong notes of peaches and apricots. Lots of tangerine juice as well. Pure hop nectar in a glass!

Intense peach and apricot notes also appeared in the flavor profile. Dank and resiny with a slightly floral hoppiness. Some honey was apparent, along with a touch of caramel malt sweetness (just enough for balance). Ruby red grapefruit came through on the crisp, slightly dry finish.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied. Smooth, creamy and supple on the palate.

Galaxy Imperial Single Hop IPA is a ridiculously hopped yet super smooth and drinkable double IPA. It is definitely one of the top three versions of the style I have ever sampled and one of my favorite beers overall.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Much thanks to Michael for providing this one!

Pours a dull golden amber with a huge fluffy white head that leaves tons of sticky lacing as it fades to a thin layer that remains for most of the drink.

Holy citrus! Loads of juicy oranges and grapefruit, with a slight resiny presence. Not much malt to be found, but that's the way a good hop bomb should be.

Taste is equally as citrusy and juicy. No doubt this one is loaded with hops, but it's extremely smooth and balanced. Slightly sweet with minimal malts to be found.

Pretty thick and sticky in the body with lots of find carbonation. Pretty bitter up front, but the finish is as smooth as can be with no lasting bitterness, excellent. This is an absolutely fantastic DIPA. I'd love to be able to have this on a regular basis, maybe I should look for a job in Vermont...

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Review from my notes. Thanks to Baconsausage for hooking this up.

Poured from growler to my Darkness snifter.

A beautiful honey color fills my glass. About six foot of head atop the beer. It in fact poured over and spilled on the table. After I'm done punching the guy that spilled it I contemplate licking it off the table. Lacing prevails after I let it sit for about 3 mins.

Sweet baby jeebus this smells like ecstasy. It's so sweet rich and potent of orange juice and zest. My mind wanders to a grove of orange trees and a pool of orange juice with oompa loompas frolicking about. This smell can't be real for a beer.

I'm waiting for the pinch of reality to set in as I put the glass to my dry lips. Ha f'n ha. Cruel fate does not come and I have won. The prize is damn near the best tasting ipa ever. Holy bat testicles Batman. Just like orange marmalade. When you get to the orange zest/peel part of the taste is when you get the slight, ever so slight hop bite then that dry cut in the tongue /back of the throat you yearn for. The carbonation is tender and perfect. So easy to drink. I'm in awe this is 8%.

This beer is flat out incredible. Worthy of every praise that will come its way. Tonight when I go to bed i will not pray for world peace. No I say. I will pray that Hill Farmstead remains a hidden gem and that I can trade for it all my life and there will be no rarity inflation attached to its good name.

Galaxy imperial single hop ipa. Ask for it by name.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Had at the Blackback Pub.

Pours a cloudy light orange with a decent head into my glass. Very colorful and appealing.

Strong citrus notes. Very remiscent of a ripe orange with just a hint of mint.

Mango and orange flavors mingle with the taste buds. Mellow. Subtle. Not excessive. Wonder if it woulld go well with a cheese plate?

Citrus and mango mouthfeel. Very enjoyable.

Yet another marvelous, highly drinkable example of the style from Hill Farmstead. At this point, there is precious little that can match the quality of this brewery.

All I can say is AWSOME!

The smell of this beer is fantastic with that fresh hop juice aroma, very prominent citrus and floral over tones. You can smell it even before you get it up to your nose.

The body is medium and the taste is just as good as the smell. It has a great fresh grapefruit / hop taste with a slight piney bitter finish. The way an IPA should be.

This is a great beer and I am lucky to have one of the few kegs of Galaxy available from Hill Farmstead at my home.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Growler sent by Tucker. Consumed two days after my first review below. Scores are based on this sample.

Looks similar to most other HF DIPAs and it's beautiful. Color is a hazed and cloudy glowing apricot with a fluffy, dense white head. Long lasting retention and abundant, sticky clumps of lacing.

Aroma is perfect balanced blend of peach, grapefruit, mango, and citrus rind. Sticky and more sweet than bitter, extremely tropical and juicy. A rare 5.0 for a DIPA aroma from me...

Flavor is intensely tropical sweet and juicy to start, following the same flavors as the aroma before finishing slightly dry, floral and with strong citrus rind. Never intensely bitter or thick and overbearing. What about malts? Who cares? With this blend of flavors from the Galaxy hop and balance, a strong malt presence is not only irrelevant, but unwelcome. I would give the flavor a 5 as well if not for the previous growler (that drabmuh also reviewed) where we picked up on some unpleasant vegetable flavors.

Body is medium thick, creamy and smooth. Reminds me of Double Sunshine in the softness of the texture where the beer is light and refreshing, instead of being a thick, chewy chore to get through.

So here we are. All of HF's IPAs/DIPAs have been great or exceptional and IMO this is the pinnacle so far. Not as flashy as Ephraim but Ephraim isn't an everyday beer. This is as good as a big "everyday" DIPA can and should be. All tropical hops, restrained bitterness, undetectable alcohol, perfect body and aroma. I guess I'm saying I liked this.

Growler shared by Thorpe429

This is a great DIPA. I enjoyed this more than HF's Double Citra. Not quite as much as Ephraim. Certainly not on the level of recently sampled Double Sunshine or Kryptonite and not on the level of other "classics". Grapefruity, lemony, danky and floral, everything I want from a DIPA except, oh wait, why is this so fricking vegetative in the finish. Funny, I don't remember that touch from batch 1 and now I'm very curious to try another growler.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Many many many many thanks to Beenitty for this incredibly generous extra (32 oz growler) in a trade just received today. My beautiful wife was kind enough to unpack the box and put the growler in the fridge so that it was cold when I got off work.

After undoing the amazing tape work that Beenitty did to the top of the growler (seriously, he did a great job with the packaging), it popped with a nice hiss. Immediate floral hop scent left the top of the growler into my nostrils. Its clear that I'm in the presence of greatness here.

Smell- buttery citrus, some breadiness, nice tropical fruit flavors. Taste- just decadent for an IIPA...nice citrus, sweet breads, a buttery smooth tropical fruit flavor, with a nice bitterness on the end.

Mouthfeel- just a tad of the carbonation may have been lost (no fault of Beenitty, just a probable result of a little bit of air in the top), but regardless this is absolutely drinkable and wonderful.

Drinkability- It will be an absolute pleasure to take this growler down, and it will leave me for more. I long for the day where I can drink Hill Farmstead's goodness again, and hopefully I'll get a chance at GABF this year.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Had this one on tap at Armsby Abbey today. It poured a nice yellow golden color with a nice head and great lacing. The smell was citrus and fruity, orange. The taste just blew me away. Very nice profile of citrus, orange and maybe a bit of pineapple with a bitter grapefruit at the finish. The mouthfeel was excellent. I wish I could have stayed for another one but I was on my way to Tree House. I hope to get to try this one again soon.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had it tonight on tap at Armsby Abbey; freaking amazing. It reminds me very much of Green, but a little bit less "on your face" and with a smoother mouthfeel.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Truly an outstanding beer, by far the best that I've tried from Hill Farmstead. Huge fruit and sweetness flavor profile, with the piney and dank kick. Highly recommended!

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Thanks again, jchem! From growler labeled best by 10/16 into nonic pint.

A. Cloudy, hazy goldenrod. Three finger white head with big soapy bubbles and coating lacing.
S. Mmmmmmm, those Galaxy hops. Like a sun drenched citrus farm. Bursting with tropical scents and just a little bit of a herbal hop and doughy malt backbone. Perfect.
T. Close to perfect. It's loaded with flavor but doesn't quite "pop" like the nose. I'm not having this super fresh but it ain't stale either. Honey drizzled tangerine rind, watermelon, candied oranges, and drying grassy hops. Yum.
F. Big, creamy, luscious, coating, refreshing. Bright and expressive with nice complexity.
O. One of the very best IPAs around. Would enjoy again and again.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

Tasted multiple times off a 1/6 barrel I'm lucky enough to have sitting in my fridge.

A beautiful hazy yellow-orange sunburst when held up to a gorgeous summer New Hampshire sky. Really, this might be the best looking beer I've ever seen. A two-finger white foam collar settles down quickly after a vigorous hand pump. Sea spray-like rings form on the sides of the glass after each sip and gradually recede back into the opaque yellow-orange depths.

The nose on this is unlike most of Shaun's other stellar DIPAs/IPAs as it is much more herbaceous and floral than tropical. Dank marijuana, fresh basil, sage and nettle mix with scents of pine and various flowers. Notes of Mandarin orange and mango can be found, but definitely not at the fore. Wow! This is my first experience with a single hop beer featuring Galaxy and all I can say is "Wow!"

As usual with HF's beers the nose is carried over to the palate almost verbatim. This is one bitter beer but in the best way possible. The finish is ever so slightly sweet after the onslaught of bitter and is so damn clean that you'll find yourself salivating for the next sip. This makes this 8.1% abv libation eminently drinkable and dangerous!

The mouthfeel is exceptional and another thing that Shaun gets spot on with his beers. It's soft with just enough of an edge from perfect carbonation. Silky but not too oily. Perfect.

Overall, this is a tremendous DIPA and might be my second favorite beer from Hill Farmstead (single Citra being my favorite). A fantastic beer in every regard.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

Tremendous thanks to SFLpunk and imagineiii for making this possible, and ensuring that quite a few people in the DC circle will get to try this one out. First 750 is all for me. Nothing like having over a dozen tickable pours all to myself.

Served in a Hill Farmstead long-stem tulip glass.

Pours a moderately-hazy bright apricot color with a strong two-finger white head. Fairly fluffy. There's some good retention and gobs and gobs of spotty lacing as it goes down the glass. Good collar and -- appropriately -- a galaxy-swirl cap on top throughout.

The nose starts out with some very, very strong citrus. Lots of grapefruit and orange rind. Some tropical mango in the background. Some more hops. Then some more. Damn. As it warms, the grapefruit takes a bit over from the orange and tropical notes. One of the better smelling DIPAs that I've come across. Me giving something a 5.0 is rare. It being a DIPA that doesn't feature Citra is even rarer. I'm not a Citra fanboy at all :) (That's right, a smiley face in a review...I'm pretty sure I've never done that before.)

The flavor begins with some supremely-aggressive hop components. Grapefruit pith abounds. Looking for serious hop action? Whoop, there it is. Smiley face? Check. Old-school "ashamed to have had singed and danced to" song? Check. Banging on all cylinders tonight. Reference to Brian Regan. Class act.

Other than the all-out grapefruit assault, there's some malt in the background. Who am I kidding? No there's not. It's all hops. This is what a double IPA should be. As has been a frequent topic of forum discussions, no, hops don't belong everywhere. Straight fact, though: malt does not belong in an American Imperial IPA. It simply does not. That's an American Barleywine. Shaun gets an A+ here for brewing a beer that is an all-out hop assault that I never need a break from. The bitterness and flavor both take me to the brink, but never off the edge. So much hop flavor and bitterness all in one package.

Medium body with a brisk, crisp bitterness and moderate carbonation. No real alcohol character. Strong bitterness. Then some hop fruitiness. Nearly a flawless beer. Now, given that this review is about eleventy billion times my average review length, I think I'll call it quits. Cheers.

4.86/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice orange juice

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Hunted this one all over NYC and finally was rewarded with 32oz growler from Decicco's Ardsley.

A: Gorgeous orange pour of your typical DIPA, looks great.

S: Awsome nose of tropical fruits followed with hops, no complaints.

T: Explosion of fruit flavors, leaves you wanting more and more and more

M: Very very nice, slight bitterness in aftertaste, very smooth

D: Super high, give me more holy crap.

This beer tastes just like Double Sunshine except a bit less on the explosion of fruit in the taste department, but the description of liquid heaven by other reviewers is very accurate. The fact that I gave Double Sunshine all 5's is the only reason that I didn't give this one all 5's. Not sure if that's fair but, there's nothing wrong with this one. Do what you can to get ahold of this beer its worth it.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

got this growler in the Regional Growler BIF. First off thank you Baconsausage. Now the review.
Absolutely amazing. From the appearance, to the smell, to the taste, this is now my White Whale. Absolutely amazing. For the Hop fiend, this is a great one to seek out. I cant give this beer enough praise. Mos Def will seek out again.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

This is phenomenal. Served in tulip glass at three penny bar in Burlington. Most impressive mouth feel of any beer I've ever had. Good straight up New England style IIPA. Exceptional citrus flavor sets this apart from West Coast offerings. No caramel, malty aftertaste. Stunning!

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a hazy pale gold.

The aroma is straight orange, grapefruit, dank, doughy malt, pineapple, honey, white grape, grass.

The flavor follows with zesty orange, unripen pineapple, bitter white grape skin, white wine character, dank bitterness, tons of herbaceous, pulpy grapefruit throughout. A creamy mouthfeel. This beer shines as what makes most of Society and Solitude #4.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at Armsby. This is truly a delight. Pours a orange hazy golden color. It's not turbid, but it's not translucent either. White head. Aroma is citrusy. There is a ton of orange citrus, with some resin, and a mineral texture to this DIPA. I really love this beer.

12 oz. draft at Rattle N Hum

A - Pours a hazy yellow-golden color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation. Light lacing on the glass. Very good looking DIPA

S - Grapefruit, some light orange, citrus, and light notes of vanilla and pine. There's a faint hint of alcohol too. As it warms up some tropical fruit notes emerge.

T - The hops truly dominate here and they are really impressive. Grapefruit, pineapple, lemon zest, and some strong pine. Some nice sweetness from the malt is a nice underlying note as well.

M - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, and a crisp feel.

O - Another amazing beer from Hill Farmstead. They really put out some top notch IPA's and beers in general. Can't wait to try more offerings from them.

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

On-tap at Armsby Abbey. Reviewed from notes.

A- Yellow orange body with a big white, creamy and thick head. Great retention and size. Unlimited lace makes the glass almost opaque.

S- Again, HF with very fresh hops. More of a sharp citrus-forward feel instead of any sweet fruit. Citrus mixes with grass, floral, pineapple and general grain.

T- Hop bomb flavor, big notes of mango, orange, peach, lemon zest, grass, strawberry, grass and floral. Don't know what it is but this reminds me of a farm somehow, grassy and grainy malt mixture. Some sweets.

MF- Creamy moderate thick body, tart and a bit bitter. Smooth overall feel.

Amazing Double IPA when it comes down to it. Awesome peach and mango feel. Shaun really competes with any good hoppy beer, Heady, Pliny, Alpine etc.

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a brewery-filled growler into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a very thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is an excellent blend of floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out very sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel. Then a nice piney hops bitterness comes in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and provides a great balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly hoppy.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Extremely tasty, goes down dangerously easy, not too filling, good kick, great representation of style, this is a tremendous 2IPA to drink for as long as you can handle it.

Double Galaxy from Hill Farmstead Brewery