E. | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

E is definitely not a Belgian IPA - it's a funky version of Edward (american pale ale) - fermented with brettanomyces, dry hopped with galaxy, and aged on stainless for four months. Basically, we refer to it as a farmhouse pale ale - a cross between a saison and an american pale.

2012 Release: Aged in Mimosa barrels.
2014 Release: Aged in wine barrels with resident yeast and microfloa for 1.5 years.

Added by flipper2gv on 04-24-2011

#729

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - mostly white but some yellow hints in the gushing head. Body is very cloudy and orange/grapefruit in color. Great lacing

S - some nice citrus mixed within the farmhouse funk.

T - rind comes through strong. Orange and grapefruit.

M - well balanced and appropriate for the style.

O - a nice little beer. Nothing spectacular but enjoyable.

3.83/5  rDev -10.7%

750ml bottle

A- Pours a hazy slightly translucent brownish golden, at least 3-4 fingers of white frothy head- had a problem with this bottle foaming up, decent amount of carbonation definitely above average, leaves foamy layered lacing.

S- Some light brett funk, a little bit of lemons, a hint of oranges, some grassy notes. Not overly aromatic, a little bit below average aroma strength.

T- Orange peel, lemons, a little bit of grapefruit, with some light grassy/hay funk. Slightly tart + bitter on the finish. Leaves an orange peel aftertaste that lingers for awhile.

M- Light, average carbonation, abv hidden well, drinkable.

O- I wasn't a huge fan of this beer, especially since I had such high expectations after trying a few other HF beers. It might have tasted better fresh (I think the hops might have faded a bit too much), but to me it was just too lacking in strength- both aroma and taste. The orange peel citrus flavor balanced with the light funk also wasn't that appealing to me. Overall not a terrible beer, but definitely not as good as the other HF beers I've had (Everett, Abner, Daybreak).

3.87/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a murky golden-orange with a rocky, one-inch, off-white head embedded with tiny craters. Big brett nose on this beer - horse blanket, bandaids and a hint of citrus. Taste follows nose; however, there's less of a brett character in the flavor profile. There's also a bit more citrus as well as what I perceive to be chamomile. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a soft carbonation and some astringency. Overall, a decent beer; however, the brett is a bit too much on the palate.

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours out a compilation of golden and yellow tones with some lighters straw hints around the edges. Super volatile pour, even being somewhat conservative creates a head that grows thicker than the amount of beer that's been poured already; eggshell-white, cloudy, and foamy, leaving huge chunks of lacing as it slowly recedes.

I bring E. up to my face and I'm met with a huge bouquet of roses; the aroma is largely floral, comprised of fresh, wet roses and bitter grassy notes. The hops are clearly the key component in this one. Successive whiffs reveal a more refined hop character, rounded out with tones of earth, dirt, and musk. Light hints of funk and wet wood (as well as some of the musk) is probably from the brett yeast used. There isn't much to be said in terms of malt, at least as far as the aroma is concerned. The hop profile here is certainly different - one of the most purely, raw, floral things I've smelled in quite some time. Very, very light tropical fruit and citrus peek in more and more with each sniff - maybe apple skins and/or pears?

I take my first swig of E. and I'm not sure if I just drank a beer or if I ate a flower and a handful of grass. There should be no surprise, however, as the aroma was largely floral and grassy. The vegetal notes are pretty huge on this one; grass, roses, and perfume. The hops are raw and dirty, giving off a very weedy, grassy, and bitter tone. They must have used a ton of bittering hops on this one - the bitterness charges in, rides the wave hard, and doesn't come close to being settled by the end. I would have like more aromatics to accompany this dry, leafy bitterness. A mild citrus zest sits quiet in the background, but never jumps out and strong as I was hoping for. There's a heavy bit of funk and wet oak in the aftertaste - hard to pick it up throughout the sip, as the hop notes are so profound. Medium bodied, heavily carbonated.

Hm... I don't love E. like the scores and reviews said I would. Listening to others describe it, it definitely sounds like something right up my alley. Don't get me wrong - it was a good beer, but I guess from the way people talk about HF, I was possibly expecting a bit too much. I like the funk and oak in the end, but the bittering hops just don't make my palate dance like they should. Either way, still a solid brew, but likely nothing I'll seek out again.

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

3.91/5  rDev -8.9%

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev -8.4%

3.94/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.96/5  rDev -7.7%

3.97/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

E. from Hill Farmstead Brewery