Vera Mae | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Vera Mae is crafted from organic Vermont spelt, American hops, wildflower honey, dandelion flowers from our fields, our distinctive farmhouse yeast and water from our well. Unfiltered and naturally carbonated.

Added by SFLpunk on 07-25-2011

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.15/5  rDev -3%

750ml Bottle received in trade with cfrancis - thanks!

Appearance - Gold colour with an average size fizzy/frothy white head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some greatlacing. The head lasted for 6-7 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Cloves, lemons, floral, a bit of funk

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste lots of floral notes, cloves and lemon juice/zest. There is also a fair amount of tart/sour funk going on.

Overall - I don't think this brewer makes a bad beer. This is a fantastic sour yet refreshing saison. My bottle gushed when I opened it, so beware.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

75cl bottle, bottle dated 7/2013, poured into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass today, 2/27/2014. Thanks Matt, for this one.

App- Pours a hazy straw yellow-golden body, with a ginormous 3 finger white head with ridiculous retention. I had to take a few minutes admiring the body before I felt comfortable drinking this without getting a white mustache. But otherwise extensive lacing.

Smell- Smells an awful lot like the recent batch of Anna (fall 2013), but more sour- peppery, tart, earthy, floral. Very interesting.

Flavour- White peppers, floral hops (or is it the dandelion? I've never eaten a dandelion so I'm not sure), tartness and barnyard funk that I contribute to the Northeast Kingdom flora as I have gotten this in most of the recent Hill Farmstead saisons, a bit of citrus as well. Very complex and more interesting than Anna.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied, a bit overcarbonated but not nearly enough to take any enjoyment away from this beer. Ridiculously easy drinking, with a nice funky tart aftertaste typical of the Hill Farmstead saisons.

Overall- Could be my new favorite Hill Farmstead saison. I think this is more interesting and complex than Anna is, but its hard to say which saison I enjoyed drinking more.. I'd probably go with Anna on this one.

Vera Mae from Hill Farmstead Brewery