Simcoe Pale Ale | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

An American Pale Ale bittered, flavored, and dry hopped exclusively with one of our favorite hop varieties: Simcoe!

Added by kingcrowing on 08-11-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 38 | Ratings: 195
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Hope I'm not wrong but I'm going to assume that this is the Simcoe Single Hop that is currently on tap. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

Pours a cloudy amber blonde with a very thin head into my glass. I'm guessing that it's unfiltered.

The namesake says it all: A mellow dose of Simcoe hops greet the nose. The malt background smells soft and buttery.

Wow. Like drinking straight-up hop juice. A blast of Simcoe hops that just keeps on giving, followed by citrus.

The mouth is dominated by bitterness here with citrus zest. Again, "airy" and warming.

Highly recommended. Get it while it lasts on tap?

4.08/5  rDev -4%

750ml growler filled at the brewery yesterday. Poured into my HF stemmed glassware.

A- Pours a very hazy yellowish golden with about a finger's worth of white frothy head that has decent retention but fades to a thin layer living very nice layered lacing. Nice carbonation, about average for a pale ale.

S- Nice citrus hops of lemon zest, lemon peel, some grapefruit, smells fairly juicy with some grass notes mixed and pale malts. One of the better noses in my opinion that I've had on a pale ale, but a little bit too zesty/peel like for my senses. Definitely a little bit above average aroma strength.

T- Citrus, zesty lemon, a little bit of bitter grapefruit, hops, some light grassy tones., finishes lightly bitter with a pale malty taste mixed with lemon peel. The taste was very good, however I wasn't a huge fan of the aftertaste and it was a little bit too zesty for me. Reminded me a little bit of Life w/o Principle.

M- On the lighter side, nice carbonation, easily drinkable, refreshing.

O- This was a nice pale ale however there were some characteristics that I thought threw it off slightly to my preferences. It had a little bit too much zest to it that gave it a nice citrus characteristics, but a little bit too much of a peel quality. The other HF beer that I'd say is closest to this (although still fairly different) is Life w/o Principle. I could easily drink this again, however I could see how some people might not care for it.

3.15/5  rDev -25.9%

Very bright in color. A fingers worth of head. Light lacing persists. Sweet citrus on the nose. Slight sweetness up front followed by a hop bite, but it's not aggressive. Rather dry and bitter finish.

I honestly find this beer quite boring. Could probably drink it all day but there is no point. I was done with it after my 8oz pour. Nothing was striking or profound that I needed more. Essentially you've had this same type of beer 100 other times so there is really no reason to reach and get this. Hands down my least favorite HF offering.

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

750 mL growler, thanks Conor! Shared watching football in a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

Pours a dark, dull golden bronze color with a wispy finger of white head and a thin collar throughout and light lacing. Aroma is straight Simcoe, with strong fresh pine notes and light citrus hops. Flavor is dominated by pine hops, minimal bitterness and a stronger than expected malt body. Not much citrus presence or bitterness in the finish. Body is a little lighter than expected from this series and lacking smoothness in the finish. Simcoe is a little heavy throughout, but still a very enjoyable APA.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

big thanks to baconsausage for this

pour is a dirty golden yellow and orange. fluffy white head with lacing running down the sides. great retention.

light pine with a balanced dose of citrus

a great combo of pine and citrus blending with a bread like malty backbone. the finish really brings out the pine as it lingers in the mouth.

nice moderate to mild carbonation. body is light and easy without feeling thin.

a delicious pale ale with a near perfect representation of simcoe

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Big thanks to aapp for sending out a 750mL growler of this, and as well to imagineiii for sending one for us to share down here. Served in a tulip.

Pours a nice golden color with a several-finger white head. A bit of lacing on the way down and a collar throughout. The nose carries some nice light pine resin as well as some floral and citrus notes. Flavor dials up the pine quite a bit, taking it to the next level. Bitterness and pine work incredibly well together. Smooth bitterness in the finish, though not quite as smooth as with the Amarillo version, as the bitterness is a bit more heavy-handed, though no complaints about that. Another big hit in the single-hop series. I'm glad someone is finally doing these things right.

3.99/5  rDev -6.1%

Growler shared by spycow. Thanks!

A - Light orange, little haze, pillow of white foam sits on top.

S - Tons of mango, weed and resin.

T - Great tropical hop flavors shine through. A little sweet bready malt, but a very sharp bitterness on the finish. Seems slightly out of balance.

M - Light bodied. Resinous and an overly dry finish.

O - Fantastic nose and great hop flavor. If the IBUs were dialed back just a few, I'd find this to be a near-perfect APA for my palate. Still, Shaun knows how to use those hops.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to spycow aka Chris for sharing this growler.

A - Hazy orange/yellow colored beer with a bit of a white head that left some spots on the sides.

S - Nice tropical fruit, some herbal bitterness, little pine and resin. Great smelling.

T - Big tropical fruit, little pine, grapefruit. Has a nice sweet malt backbone going on there. Nicely bitter to close out.

M - Lighter bodied with good carbonation and a bitter finish that is quite quenching.

O - Great beer, and like Alex said, no cat piss smell or taste with the Simcoe wich can be a problem with this hop sometimes. Really good and refreshing beer, would love to drink this regularly.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Growler, thanks to Chris.

A - Pours a mirky orange color, white head, bubbles here and there on top, and some spotty lacing.

S - Tropical fruit, hops, grapefruit, pine. Exactly as-described and just as enjoyable as I was expecting.

T - Grapefruit, citrus, sweet tropical notes, some dank pine. So easy to drink and the fruity sweetness and excellent hop profile makes this one disappear from my glass quickly.

M - Light, good carbonation, oily bitter finish.

O - If you enjoy Simcoe hops, you'll enjoy this beer. Shaun continues to kill it when it comes to all things hoppy. Would love to have a full growler to myself...I'm greedy. Must.Have.Again.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

750ml growler thanks to Chris (spycow). Served in a Heady Topper glass.

A - A finger of white foam settles to a thin cap, leaving some spotty lace. Hazy peach body.

S - Tropical fruits, some citrus, sugary malts, a bit of herbal character, and thankfully no cat pee, something I occasionally get from Simcoe beer.

T - Taste has big tropical fruits, a bit of grapefruit, sugar cookie malts, and moderate hop bitterness in the finish.

M - Light body, moderate carbonation, juicy and resinous. Quite refreshing.

D - It's a well-executed Simcoe beer. If this is your hop of choice, you'll love this brew. Tons of flavor for what I'm guessing is a fairly low-ABV beer. Could drink a ton of this.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap today at HF; now drinking from a growler.

Delicious both times. I actually enjoyed this far more than the Galaxy, although I don't feel comfortable reviewing that as I think my tastebuds were burnt out by the time I got to it.

Anyways - here is my Simcoe review.

I'm not sure why, but I must really like beer that tastes like piss.
Cat piss, that is.

A - Hazy yellow with a thick white head that disappears somewhat fast. A bit of lacing.
S - Delicious citrusy happy hoppy smell. Very catty. A bit of marshmallow-y vanilla-like sweetness. Just a touch of graininess to the smell.
T - Somewhat grainy again - followed by a citrus sour punch.
MF - Fine carbonation. Dranks re-aul naice aynd smoooothlike.
DB - Too drinkable for me. As in, way too drinkable for the fact that its a 1.5 hour drive to HF for me. On the other hand, I should be thankful I'm so close.

This beer is beautiful in it's simplicity. This is an exquisitely crafted beer with bold, well-defined flavors.

YUMMY YUMMY CAT PEE!!

4.41/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a growler of this one yesterday at the Saison event which proved to be another great time. I really appreciate the effort that Mr. Hill and the entire HF crew put forth to host such consistently nice gatherings.

Appearance: Pours a dull and cloudy pale apricot tinged orange with a 1 finger white crown that displays some retention and lace.

Smell: Really nice medley of pine, grapefruit, and a light bready malt sweetness.

Taste: Same as nose..including the rounding up part.

Mouthfeel: Heavy side of light bodied with perfect carbonation. Really well done.

Overall: A totally enjoyable and sessionable APA that professionally showcases the simcoe hop. Great stuff!

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

750ml growler poured into a sampling glass.

Pours a nice amber color with a small white head, nose is fruity, pine and well, classic simcoe.

Taste is awesome its super fresh and fruity, mango and grapefruit all over the place. Mothfeel is smooth and creamy

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last