Birth Of Tragedy | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Porter

Birth of Tragedy is the imperial and oak barrel-aged version of our annual winter porter, Twilight of the Idols. Brewed with locally roasted coffee and Vermont honey, we age this beer for a year in personally selected bourbon barrels from our favorite distilleries.

Added by s1ckboy on 11-20-2011

Ratings: 1,210 |  Reviews: 189

I was able to try this during Night of the Barrels and during the EBF.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a layer of tan head that fades quickly to a ring around the cup.

Smell: This one has more roast than I expected. I'm picking up some bourbon, chocolate, and alcohol heat as well.

Taste: As in the smell, quite roasty. I'm picking up the wood from the barrel and a mild peppery flavor. Sweet, but the bitterness from the roast is the dominant flavor. Would have liked it to be a tad smoother.

Mouthfeel: Just on the thick side of medium with a tingle of carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I would have liked this beer to be a tad thicker. I enjoyed the flavors that the wood added. I would have another.

Served in a Bruery snifter.

Big thanks to cbeer88 for this bottle!

Reviewed blind as part of Blind BIF 7. This stuff pours a straight obsidian topped by a half-finger at best of sienna foam. The nose comprises rich cocoa, dark fruits, and molasses. I didn't really get any barrel character at this point, interestingly.. The taste brings in more of the same, with a seeming fudge component coming in up front. Again, no real barrel character comes through to me, but it doesn't detract from the rest of the experience. The body is a straight medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly chewy feel. Overall, a very nice, rich porter. I was a little disappointed to not really get any barrel out of this thing, but it's still pretty damn good. (I initially thought this was a smooth stout, and I will continue to say that it does come close to that kind of experience.)

Birth Of Tragedy from Hill Farmstead Brewery